The Fog (Beginner)
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Fog (Beginner)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy The Fog (Beginner)

First time I bought an ImagineFX magazine and there was a step by step very short tutorial in it (Paint a foggy scene, I think it was called). So I thought I've give it a go... Not exactly the same as the one in the magazine but the same idea I suppose.

I wouldn't mind some feed back on it just to improve.

Thank you!

Reference:
    ImageFX magazine, Issue 91, Page 34

Name:  TheFogCF.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  54.2 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why is your fog dark? It reminds me more of the smoke. Also, I would add fog around foreground rocks too. The rock seems a little bit too smooth and the foliage doesn't have highlight on it and colors on the leaves seem a bit murky.

Home of the Killer Concept Art Tutorials
    www.conceptartmasters.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heya!
    great work on this. i havnt got that issue of IMGFX so i cant do any comparisons relative to what it was trying to teach.
    im not too experienced at environments but i gave a shot at critiquing what seemed could be improved to my eye.

the building shape looks a bit stiff and unnatural to me, i couldnt really imagine such a tall thin structure like that existing, if you agree then it might help to break it up into some more varied shapes, have it wider at the bottom than the top, etc.

the vegetation also looked a bit awkward, like a tuff of hair, hehehe. perhaps you could vary it somehow, and unify it more to the structure with some roots and shadows.

Name:  fog.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  41.1 KB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to aks9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure how this website works but I've tried posting this before and it didn't work but I do apologise in advance if I am doing something wrong.

So, I had some time before I went and slaved myself in work but I done a rough take on your critiques. I'm not sure how to paint vegetation so I basically grabed a standard brush and dabbed random shapes about that place, I also made the opening in the rock bigger with a different shape.

I decided to leave the structure going narrow as I'm trying to give of a fantasy enviroment where this structure may be common. I know it's not much of an improvement but I feel as if it's slowly getting there, so what do you think?

Name:  TheFogCF2.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  59.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heya!
    not bad!
    just some ideas:

if this is a fantasy environment where this structure is pretty common, maybe it would be fitting to add some more of them into the piece, perhaps just the silhouette hidden away in the fog? otherwise there isn't really a way for the viewer to know that its a repeated structure. you could always widen the composition to fit them in, or even if you don't, widening the image might help give a sense of space, showing all the empty foggy hills surrounding the structure. i'd suggest experimenting with the composition and scale if you're up to it. keep playing around with the fog too!

to me personally, the greenness of the vegetation stands out as unnatural, i think a colour more like the one you choose initially would work better. its always really helpful to take a hard close look at real vegetation and bushes, particularly in fog if you can, to get an idea of how to render them out convincingly. this is a really big part of concept-art making in general, and one of the main reason to do studies. take a look at photography of cliffs or such that has vegetation on it, see how the plants grow on it, and think about how you could bring that into this piece convincingly.

good luck!

as for uploads: it seems you've used the attachment manager totally fine, I can't really see what happened before so I can't help you there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to aks9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a few structures with moss, vines and trees. The lighting doesn't really match yours, but it might help give you some ideas for how to paint the vegetation

Name:  mossy statue.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  37.2 KB

Name:  statue with vines.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  112.6 KB

Name:  temple with vines.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  131.9 KB

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yperite For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.