Sketchbook: From zero to... we'll cross that bridge when we get to it - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: From zero to... we'll cross that bridge when we get to it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figure, lip studies (as Dichotomy suggested a while ago) , face with wrong eye proportions, and something pulled out of my imagination(buttocks) with bad perspectiveName:  IMAG0045.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  449.4 KBName:  IMAG0046.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  428.7 KBName:  IMAG0047.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  459.9 KBName:  IMAG0048.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  436.4 KB

also, I am so so sorry for not rotating the images, I'm uploading from my mobile

ĒI havenít failed. Iíve just found 10,000 ways that wonít work.Ē - Thomas Edison

My (currently) terrible sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I had a "click" moment when forms suddenly >started< falling into space, I finally get what it means when people say "draw the shape, not the line" or to "think in 3D" (about time *self slap*)

I've also been practicing line quality, I'm trying to render less with shades and to give a feeling of depth with line;

Name:  morayeel.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  38.9 KB

This drawing was copied from (what I gather, as I can't find the artists name) the concept artists at Square Enix for Final Fantasy XIII - it is not mine, I simply made a study of it because of the varying line quality
    Name:  shaz.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  34.8 KB

I also tried my hands at watercolors (I like them!); I might not be able to do much with them because I still need to learn to draw properly, but it's a fun way to waste an hour or two
    Name:  thingy1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  73.1 KB

PostScript: The days of ridiculously sized and rotated images are over! My laptop has finally been fixed and I can access photoshop again! I am so sorry for putting viewers through those horrors

Last edited by Thistlegorm; February 11th, 2013 at 02:13 AM.
    ĒI havenít failed. Iíve just found 10,000 ways that wonít work.Ē - Thomas Edison

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been super busy, building a huge ass website for a huge ass shopping mall takes a huge ass amount of time. Who knew?

Two 5 minute drawing and a 40 minute one... that's really all I had time for... no, really!

Name:  IMAG0066.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  22.9 KB
    Name:  upld1.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  26.4 KB
    Name:  IMAG0070.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  30.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, right now I'm in the real anatomy too to improve my cartoons, but I think I can, maybe, be helpful....I hope.

I see a good improvement since the first post, but something is lacking here, and I think it's an "skeleton". And I don't mean the human skeleton, but something (lines, cubes, triangles, etc) that can give you a guide to know where to draw everything. Is not just like copy what you see, but understand what are you drawing. See the muscles undert the skin, why the skin goes the way it does, a stupid example: why the leg is round and not square, etc.

I think that's what it lacks...because, well, I had this problem too, hehe. As I said, you need to know what's under the skin, and then, a guide to put all those elements in one body.

I hope I was helpful to you. Good luck with this, we are in the same ship

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zilkenian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Zilkenian you're absolutely right, that's what I'm having trouble with, I can't seem to get the hang of that skeleton (I'm studying the Loomis books, but I'm having a hard time putting it together) but it'll all come in time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Thistleborn View Post
    @Zilkenian you're absolutely right, that's what I'm having trouble with, I can't seem to get the hang of that skeleton (I'm studying the Loomis books, but I'm having a hard time putting it together) but it'll all come in time
    Hey, don't worry, no artist has become professional in a few days .

Also, with the skeleton thing, I recommend you to look at anatomy photos (like this one: http://img-ipad.lisisoft.com/img/1/8...atomy-free.jpg )
    As you can see, every muscle starts from one point and ends into another, and serves for a purpose. I'm not saying "learn all those names", just watch what they do. For example, at first I thought the Pectoralis Major muscle (lol) came from under the arm, right from the armpit. But no, it comes from under the shoulder main muscle.

Also, you can touch your own body. Your muscles are in there and I'm sure you'll feel most of them trough the skin. Look how the interact with each other to move, for example, your arm. One of the muscles relax while the other is working, etc.

Last edited by Zilkenian; February 14th, 2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Sorry, english mistakes, sorry sorry!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zilkenian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see some improvement already since the first page, I suggest Michael Hampton figure drawing book for anatomy studies, great book. Keep posting

10. The Following User Says Thank You to M.Calza For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to the both of yous for the advice, I'll make sure to follow your suggestions!

I've been feverish for the last two days, so between the antibiotics, the inability to eat and the fever itself, I didn't do much (that are worth adding to the sketchbook)

One last excuse, my lines look really blurry due to the camera, but in reality, they're much sharper, though they still need work

Name:  bq.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  31.6 KB
    Name:  dd.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  288.9 KB
    Name:  mdraw.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  31.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have certainly improved since you first started. Keep up the hard work =]

I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Sketchbook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to V3T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely improvement here! My fav book for anatomy is Bridgeman's Constructive anatomy. He's good at keeping anatomy full of movement.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to feliciew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I just came back from a few weeks in Amsterdam - when I was sober enough to remember I had a home and a job and drawing to practice, I decided to come back. Yaaaay (boooooo)

I haven't been drawing much (I haven't drawn at all, actually) and I noticed my skills deteriorated a bit, but that's fine, cause I just need to get some confidence back; so sorry for not updating, and hello again CA!

One's a 30 minute drawing pose (shaky linework and leg proportions are off, so I know how to tackle those problems) and a quick gesture of a shaolin monk(ey)?

Name:  shaolinmonkey.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  49.6 KB

Name:  watshit.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  88.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O hai

Hands need work, and the eyes are asymmetrical, there's other things that should've been tweaked, but for 30 minutes of work, I'm not dissatisfied

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  63.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I'm trying to draw with my tablet, but it's so much harder to get a confident line and a decent shape, it's really frustrating, I'm moving back to silhouettes until I can add details (also, I know the coloring looks like it was done by a child, but eh, it's something lol)

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  63.1 KBName:  silhupenis.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  33.3 KB
    Name:  sfafa.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  37.9 KBName:  failiaaar.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  59.7 KB
    Name:  fasfafewfwfew.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  63.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, just tried out a stylized digital character - I'm not happy with the results, I can do better (also had Transfer set on, so it was impossible to get a black line, oops) but it's a decent starting point, and the next one will be better

Name:  dsfsvvfwfwe.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  49.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its wonderful to see your improvement well done and please keep drawing and updating! I will do the same... really inspiring to be able to check in your progress! I don't have much to say on how you can improve coz I feel we are on similar level.... Just dropping by to say keep going!

Please help me improve! Thank you for your time

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...osen-s-Journey

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Mosen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've improved a lot since the first page, it's very inspiring! Keep drawing and getting better and better!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to nixe_dreamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, a semi-finished piece, my first attempt at a digital semi-realistic figure, this actually took me a lot longer than I care to admit, and when I tried to add the eyes it all went to hell, but hey, it's a start!

Name:  bwaaaahahaha.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  41.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Friend suggested I try drawing an ogre by exaggerating proportions without any references (anatomical or otherwise) to help me get more in control with drawing, so I did a quick summin in 15 minutes

Name:  quickone.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  69.5 KB

Also, I refuse to draw male genitals, because once they're there, it's the only thing you'll be able to look at. You know it's true.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 4