Sketchbook: From zero to... we'll cross that bridge when we get to it - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Moar

So, I drew another two, one is just a quick pose, the other is an absolutely horribly flat face that took me two hours to make D: <

Name:  resizedpose.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  88.9 KB

damn youuuuuuuuuu!

Name:  resizedportrait.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  153.8 KB

In other news, I also bought Loomis's book about head drawings, and Bridgmans constructive anatomy book - I know I could have found them online, but I figured having a hard copy would force me to pay more attention and give more appreciation to what they have to offer, more to come later today (unless I slit my wrists during the process)

ĒI havenít failed. Iíve just found 10,000 ways that wonít work.Ē - Thomas Edison

My (currently) terrible sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yay CA!

Well, glad CA is back on! I've been doing more practise stuff (basic shapes, rendering practise, perspective, still life), but those are all boring so I won't be posting them in this post, instead I'll post what my practise has given me in return;

I actually like this drawing (to a certain extent) but the photo doesn't do it justice because it lost some of the drawing's values

Name:  cast.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  106.4 KB

ĒI havenít failed. Iíve just found 10,000 ways that wonít work.Ē - Thomas Edison

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like your rendering is improving! I'd say from browsing through your sketchbook you should perhaps take up some more perspective/proportion exercises. I found Loomis' head measurements to be extremely helpful thus far! Don't be afraid to revisit studies and try them as frequently as you can from memory. Good job so far.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eroquii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eroquii View Post
    Looks like your rendering is improving! I'd say from browsing through your sketchbook you should perhaps take up some more perspective/proportion exercises. I found Loomis' head measurements to be extremely helpful thus far! Don't be afraid to revisit studies and try them as frequently as you can from memory. Good job so far.
    Thanks for your advice, I'm doing perspective exercises on a bi-daily basis, and I bought Loomis's head book (still waiting for it to arrive) because I figured having a hard cover would make me appreciate it more and pay more attention to it, appreciate your comment!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem! I think you misunderstood me though, haha. I meant Loomis' exercise about body proportions. For reference: http://animationtidbits.tumblr.com/p...figure-drawing

Of course you should study the head too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're right, I did misunderstand! Hah, thanks for that link, I'll give it a read! Much appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems as though your work is coming along! Especially with your portraits! I also recommend Loomis' book FIgure Drawing for all it's Worth. I am going through it now and finding it helpful as well.

Proportions are very important, some of your drawings earlier are kind of reminding me of Picasso, with the boobs all willy nilly like that. lol. You can take that as a good thing or a bad thing, I guess it would depend on where you're wanting to be with your art. He was famous, you know! haha.

It also made me laugh when you were like "I have no idea how to make boobs look 3D!" -- It's obvious you need to see some more real life boobs! Too bad art classes are so spendy though! A figure drawing course could really help you out.

Though, I would really like to see some basics from you. I feel like, maybe you haven't done any basic perspective stuff. Boxes, lame things like that. I know that it's boring, but it really helps!

Best of luck!

-AdrienneRose-

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrienneRose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha! I'm going for more realism so I need to pay more attention to proportions, and you're very right about that boobs part lol!

When it comes to art classes, I had the misfortune of being born on a tiny tiny island where no art teachers live :p I'll try out that figure drawing book from Loomis, I'm also doing Bridgman's anatomy books right now, it's real helpful

When it comes to basic shapes and perspectives, I'm doing them almost daily nowadays, and they do make me feel like I know what I'm doing ( I don't, but yeah :p )

Thanks for your comment!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My my Mate! What have you done in this month. Magic tricks to your learnings? You have improved really a lot! The torso drawing and the portraits are a great breakthrough. If you go on like this you will be better in no time.
    Just as other said, don't forget the basic studies on forms and composition. If you want, try to do some drawings lining only the outlines. It helps so much to understand forms. Keep on Thistle boy! Keep on!

"The fulfillment of oneself is achieved with victory over their challenges"
    My thought

My SkEtChBoOk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey! No magic tricks haha, just basic forms and like you yourself suggested line drawings/contours 15-30 minutes a day, I agree it helps train the eyes and the understanding of forms so much! Thanks for the encouragement man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa! Youre improving really quickly!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Izene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how much you're improving, you're taking the right steps forward =] Only a matter of time now before you are producing kick ass pieces ^_^

I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Sketchbook

16. The Following User Says Thank You to V3T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Izene and V3T, I really appreciate both of your comments!

So, apart from the daily basic form and perspective studies, I've also done a couple of anatomical drawings (both for animals and humans), and a 30 minute figure drawing (It doesn't look THAT bad in real life... I promise.. I need a scanner )

Name:  wolfskull.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  28.5 KB

Name:  skull.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  95.1 KB

Name:  draw1.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  99.5 KB

In other news, I checked out a maisonette, liked it, and we're finishing the lease forms this week; and there's a nice spacious empty room which would make for an awesome studio/programming cave. Whoo!

I've also got a lovely view of a pretty green hill and the ocean which I HAVE to paint some day (no matter how far away that day may be)

Last edited by Thistlegorm; January 9th, 2013 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, today I did more basics (again, forms, perspective, you know, the boring stuff which gives you the ability to do cool stuff)

BUT apart from that I also did a couple of two minute gestures while trying to improve my linework to give depth and make the eye go where I want it to go, they look HORRENDOUS... but funnily enough they have better shapes than the 30 minute stuff I was doing two months ago. Here's just a couple of them: (Also, I kept rendering to an absolute minimum)

Name:  shite.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  58.6 KB

In other news, I finally got my hands on drawing pencils (prismacolors) and I actually had to freakin' import them (tiny island = limited supplies), and I have to say, I LOVE not having to use a standard writing pencil!

PostScript: I know the proportions and anatomy are WAY off, but again, these were just "gesture" drawings so I could work on my linework (which needs a lot of work still)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey what's up bro! You leveled up on your rendering man nice work. Check out the Charles Bargue drawing course if you want to get better at that sort of cast drawing feel you had in your sculpture study .

Try not to spend too long stuck on one thing also man. Like I wouldn't spend 2 hours stuck on a face(though I don't know if that was exaggeration. I'd spend that time on something more efficient or looking up guidelines/reference of a head at a similar angle .

Hey thanks for the kick in the pants on my SB btw I was helping a buddy move and was kinda wary of the site because my browser was giving me all sorts of warnings but it looks like the coast is clear now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DEWD! Come back! lol did you shut yourself off from the internet again?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Glad to see someone nudging me when I'm inactive, unluckily it's been a bad week, I sprained my wrist at the gym, so I can barely work (let alone draw)
    Apart from that, my father's in the hospital right now, he thought he was having some heart problems, buuut it turns out that it's a problem with his stomach (which is a relief, but still a pain for him)

I've still managed to do a couple of drawings, but I can't bend my wrist so they are very very angular and very very bad lol!

But again, thanks for giving me a nudge

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem man :/ that's rough. I hope you and your father recover. I'm glad it's not heart problems at least. That's how my dad died. If I believed in a god I'd pray for you guys =D.

Anyway if you're able to hold a pencil you may actually be able to draw strictly from your shoulder or elbow with an unmoving wrist. I think this actually may be better. Not that I'm pressuring you or anything just an idea if you feel up to it. Hope you guys do okay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm real sorry to hear about your dad man, must have been hard on your family; sincerely, thank you for your kind words

And you're right about the elbow and shoulder movement, they help me to more controlled lines, but when it comes to the short lines and adding tiny details, it drives me absolutely up the wall :p

Guess it's just something that comes with practice, like most things in drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the condolences, it happened when I was too young to understand the implications or how it would affect me. Anywho I'm pretty sure you've seen me link this in the past but this is a good video on the subject I think.

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/ctrlpaint-u...ng-the-pencil/

It's really basic but theoretically you don't need your wrist for it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

back....ish

So I've been away for a while, and I'm glad to say my wrist is healing, my dads feeling better and I'm buying a new car! I'm not posting all my drawings as my computer broke and uploading from a mobile us an absolute pain;
    basically Ive done a couple of full figure drawings and portraits (both terrible) and I'm reading Loomis figure book, which showed me what a looong way I still need to go, still, slow and steady, yeah? Also, images may be big, sorry but I can't fix that on my phone
    Name:  IMAG0009.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  445.1 KBName:  IMAG0019.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  454.5 KBName:  IMAG0018.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  434.6 KBName:  IMAG0008.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  517.3 KBName:  IMAG0013.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  482.5 KBName:  IMAG0003.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  457.3 KB

ps, thanks Dichotomy for the link and support

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

one step forward, eighty steps back

So, I've done more Loomis mannequins, but I feel I can draw better using angles, maybe because I hacent gotten the mannequins down yet? opinions? also, my mobile rotated the photos on its own accord and I cant seem to fix it, sorry
    Name:  IMAG0021.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  491.5 KBName:  IMAG0022.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  456.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad you're back man I see your faces improving! It seems the lips are giving you a bit of trouble still so you may want to do some isolated studies on those. Some of your figures are a bit out of proportion as well. A thing I've found helpful to keep in mind is that the crotch(or hips on a woman) basically divides the body into equal upper and lower halves. I've noticed that a lot of people have a tendency to make legs longer than usual.

You've discovered that the eye is set into the skull and doesn't sit by the nose! This is good ! Keep it up man. I hope you and your dad stay well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, just coming over here from your thread in the critique forum. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself! You're new and you're doing a great job of catching on to things. You've improved tons in the last month alone. Everyone's got stumbling blocks, so don't beat yourself up if you make a mistake.

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @dichotomy yep you're right, I'lldo some lip studies and keep your advice about hips in mind. Thanks!

@keeptime I appreciate your encouragement, and don't get me wrong, It'snot that I beat myself up, but I like being harsh with what I do, i figure that will help me get things right so far I'm happy with my results results

so today I did some anatomical studies of the chest and arms to possibly improve my figures here goes back India tempt damn you voice recognition dingy. I'm enjoying my new mobile :-) Hey it actually recognizes :-) awesome food store. Huh huh uh huh
    Name:  IMAG0032.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  438.8 KBName:  IMAG0033.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  490.9 KBName:  IMAG0034.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  462.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, been drawing basic shapes, circles and squares sound boring, but I feel like I can feel the third dimension... if that makes sense

been drawing from my imagination too, it sucks but its a start

Name:  IMAG0036.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  467.6 KBName:  IMAG0035.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  451.5 KBName:  IMAG0037.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  497.8 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lady with an elephant's hip bone

Name:  IMAG0041.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  467.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been super busy, but I still manage to do some practice. Also managed to squeeze in a figure drawing.Name:  IMAG0044.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  516.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can already see some improvement in your figure drawings man, keep up the hard work! Your Bridgman studies are looking especially nice.

art is never finished, only abandoned~Leonardo da Vinci

34. The Following User Says Thank You to ezekrialase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work man remember that the brow and the bottom of the nose more or less line up with the top and bottom of the ear respectively

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Beartankmaster For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4