Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Derp

So, unfortunately I haven't been able to do much today, tons of work this time of year and unfortunately it's too windy to go diving, so no relaxing within the belly of the sea for me; I did manage to do this sketch, however you're only going to notice the following

1. The terrible quality
    2. My lack of knowledge in torso anatomy (working on it though)
    3. I have no idea how to make breasts look 3D
    4. Hurr durr drapery

But I'm working on a larger scale, so that will help me spot mistakes more easily (just when I thought spotting mistakes couldn't get easier! Ha!)

Without further ado, I present to you this unintentionally horrendous beast based on a very attractive woman:

Name:  shittypose.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  144.4 KB

Don't worry, I'll be drawing beauties soon enough

ĒI havenít failed. Iíve just found 10,000 ways that wonít work.Ē - Thomas Edison

My (currently) terrible sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's really not so bad man. It's definitely salvageable. Arms are a little too thin. The breasts look like they're up too high and the pose is a bit off. The right leg isn't in a load bearing position so if an actual woman tried to stand that way she'd fall over to the left. Nice rendering on the curtain thingy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Beartankmaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for checking out my sketchbook! Digging your figure studies; it's nice to see the looseness of the lines. Keep it up!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kjylee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dichotomy thanks! You know I never really factored in balance, something I should do, I'll just do other poses instead of salvaging it though, I'll learn more that way I think, and this time I'll keep an eye out for the things you mentioned

@kjylee And thank you for checking out mine and giving me some encouragement

ĒI havenít failed. Iíve just found 10,000 ways that wonít work.Ē - Thomas Edison

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start, on this sketchbook make sure to focus on proportions of the figure, keep going and you'll make it. ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Capt Surge, I really do need to work on proportions, but I'll get the hang of it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi man! How's your works go? I see you want to improve in a large scale draw. If you want to, try to start from simple forms: cubes, spheres, cilinders, cones, piramids, etc. Look the forms, the lights, the perspective. Create a grid and measure the distances with your pencil then transfer it on the sheet. Don't hesitate and draw exactly what you see. Don't think the name of what you see, think about forms. It's not an eye, it's a line, and another line tilted this way that connects to another this way... It's not a nose, it's an upside down trapezium. And so on. Simplify what you see in lines, not arcs or curves. First the forms, then the modeling, create a scheme, then go for particulars. Try the Drawing Course of Charles Bargue, and do more studies on perspective. Remember: reason out by forms, not curves or arcs. Every form is contained in a cube.
    Hope to be of some help! Continue like this, you will improve in no time!

"The fulfillment of oneself is achieved with victory over their challenges"
    My thought

My SkEtChBoOk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucarky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey buddy, work's going well, and my friend actually told me to do the same things, so I'm trying to contain them in shapes gradually, Vilppu is great in using this method, but I'll try Charles Bargue as well, can never hurt to see other artist's different views and methods

Thanks for the help and encouragement!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Thistlegorm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Figures and tiny lips

So, I've learned some lip anatomy today, very interesting stuff, picking off features individually and then combining them together, trying to get proportions right (which I didn't in image 3)

Also, the first image shows a figure I was working on, I accentuated the ribcage a bit too much, and the arms are still too thin, but it's better than what I had done so far

Name:  posedec.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  146.4 KB

Name:  lipsf1rst.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  135.8 KB

Name:  morgannose.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  141.4 KB

The lips are way too small in the last image, this is the reference image I was using click me!

I ignored the slant... accidentally :p

Have to say, I'm enjoying myself on this journey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The head is a bit too small on the figure drawing. Nice work on the nose and lips it looks convincing. The right nostril isn't as dark as the left. Idk if that's how it was in a reference or something though. Keep it up broseph

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Beartankmaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed on the figure drawing bit, I really need to figure out proportions The right nostril was supposed to be darker because of the lighting BUT lights and shadows were poorly executed by my part so instead it just looks like there are some mistakes

And thank ye kind sir

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work on the second draw of lips. You're doing it right. Continue to study schemes and construction.

"The fulfillment of oneself is achieved with victory over their challenges"
    My thought

My SkEtChBoOk

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucarky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More proportion studies on the female body

I've realized I should probably add a bit of variety, but I got obsessed with the female body (and I'm at a loss with the male body, but hey, have to start somewhere)

So, here's today's meagre dumparumpahump

Name:  201212.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  152.9 KB
    Name:  2012122.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  149.1 KB

PostScript: I call the second one "Banana Breasts"

Last edited by Thistlegorm; December 20th, 2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: banana breasts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seems like the breasts are still a little too high. This might seem odd but try drawing some stuff upside down we have a tendency as humans to sometimes draw what we "think" something looks like. So if I ask the average person to draw me a nose they'll probably draw two lines at an acute angle. If you flip a picture upside down it forces you to deal with it in terms of the angles and values that compromise it. Rather than thinking "I'm going to draw x body part" you'll be recording the image as it actually is. After all, we don't actually see anything; just the light reflected off of it

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beartankmaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! I believe at your stage you need to try and listen to what everybody is saying. I also say you should do tons and tons of gestures as well as draw a lot more from life this means organizing random objects from life in a certain composition and try to draw what you see. I also suggest you ditch the anatomy and focus on form, learn how to draw cubes at any angles in perspective and then do the same with ellipses and build an intuitive feel of drawing ellipses from different distances to the horizon line. I also suggest you pick up a book called "The Natural Way To Draw" by Nicolaides. I feel it does the same thing as the Betty Edwards book but offers a schedule to follow and a lot of exercises.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kamikazel33t For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dichotomy thanks for pointing that out, I'll definitely try drawing things upside down, just so I start drawing what I see instead of what I believe is there

@kamikazel33t you're right, I'm definitely getting ahead of myself, I need to take some steps back, go back to basics and get a very solid base before moving on; and thank you for mentioning that book! The reason I didn't get too attached to the Betty Edwards book was because it had a lot of information, but very little exercises

Luckily, our office is shutting down for a week (thank you, christmas!), so I'm locking myself up in an internet-less apartment for the next 4-5 days and will take along with me nothing but drawing materials and books... and harry potter movies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to ca! great that you decided to take up art! keep practicing the basics and posting!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thistleborn! Bro! Keep postin man! just some encouragement lol

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Beartankmaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichotomy View Post
    Thanks! Will post again later today, locked myself up for a few days with no internet just to practise the basic shapes and perspective, and they help like crazy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! Will post again later today, locked myself up for a few days with no internet just to practise the basic shapes and perspective, and they help like crazy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Guess who's back?

Welp, I'm finally back, I just cut myself off from internet and everyone else until I felt I started getting the basics down (perspective, form, light, etc), I'm still a long way off, but now when I'm drawing I at least have a good idea of what I'm actually doing (whee!)

I won't post the images of my practise stuff, since there are way too many and I'd rather just include actual drawings, but I am going to post some gestures which I boldened up with charcoal to show areas of weight and mass, I found them pretty useful (gotta thank Nicolaides for that one)

Name:  P1000461.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  56.3 KB
    Name:  P1000462.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  60.2 KB

I feel my portraits have improved a bit, since when I started they all looked like this (or worse):
    Name:  P1000401.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  124.9 KB

and now they have at least SOME realism:

Name:  resized.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  129.7 KB
    Name:  portraitpeepee2.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  67.1 KB
    Name:  portraitpeepee3.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  76.8 KB

So yes, I have to take these trips away from home and the comfort of the net more often

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DUDE! you're getting closer on your faces good job. remember that the eyebrow sits along the bone that encloses the eye it should curve down a bit as it goes toward the ear. Your cranial masses are still a bit too small. Try to focus on the skull shape before adding hair keep it up bro

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Beartankmaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DUDE! you're getting closer on your faces good job. remember that the eyebrow sits along the bone that encloses the eye it should curve down a bit as it goes toward the ear. Your cranial masses are still a bit too small. Try to focus on the skull shape before adding hair keep it up bro
    You're absolutely right, I actually worked on that and I'm getting better results, I'll post some more stuff done when I get out of work and thanks for the encouragement!

Also, is it just me? Or was the site down for a couple of days?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're absolutely right, I actually worked on that and I'm getting better results, I'll post some more stuff done when I get out of work and thanks for the encouragement!

Also, is it just me? Or was the site down for a couple of days?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah man the site was down for a good 2 days. It was pretty annoying, couldn't access any of the tutorials. Good to see everyone back though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More stuff

So, I'm not posting much today, most of what I've done was just some practise in basic shapes, perspective, light and form, so I'll just post a couple of portraits I worked on

They're not good, BUT I have an idea of what I'm doing now when I'm rendering a face (thanks to anatomy)

Name:  0301.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  294.6 KB

Name:  03012.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  199.7 KB

They don't look anything like the references I used, but I suppose that's a matter of training my eyes (which I'm trying to do by doing 20-30 minutes of contour drawings a day... contours make me want to claw my eyes out)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gettin better man =D remember that mirroring tip if you feel like something is off

on the first portrait, the angle of the left cheek(our left) suggest a 3/4 view whereas the other cheek seems to suggest a frontal view.

rendering is improving nicely man

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Beartankmaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh you're absolutely right! I need to stop being lazy and do that mirroring thing, it does seem real useful!

And thank ye kindly!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh you're absolutely right! I need to stop being lazy and do that mirroring thing, it does seem real useful!

And thank ye kindly!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4