Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: From zero to... we'll cross that bridge when we get to it

Thanks

From zero to... we'll cross that bridge when we get to it

New guy here, I've been drawing around a month, and I'm obsessed about faces, so I practice drawing daily just so I can get them right at some point

I'm also inspired by fantasy, children's book type art and the many brilliant artists on this forums; I'll get there, but to do that, I need you guys to rip me a new one

I know it's terrible, I know it pains you to see this sort of work, and I encourage you to say it, I would just like to ask you HOW it's terrible, and WHAT it lacks; drag me through the mud, but drag me towards the right direction

I appreciate all your time and critique, and will do my part and work hard to improve
    Name:  P1000401.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  124.9 KBName:  P1000403.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  102.4 KBName:  P1000404.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  100.2 KBName:  P1000405.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  107.9 KBName:  P1000406.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  69.6 KBName:  P1000410.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  103.9 KBName:  P1000411.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  105.4 KBName:  P1000412.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  106.2 KB

Also, this will double as my sketchbook, which is why I'm posting it in this category, to show my improvement and keep criticism here
    Last edited by Thistlegorm; December 19th, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hey man, good start! its all about hard work you know? the thing we all here respct most its that you put your heart and soul into it even if it is only 30 minutes of practice give it your all, there is some reading i recommend so you can get some basics into your stuff, first of all Vilppu, and hampton are sure to help you, they work the figure and the head in a very simple manner and they build on upon that!, so see if you can grab some stuff from them and just keep at it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lionheartGFX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lionheartGFX View Post
    hey man, good start! its all about hard work you know? the thing we all here respct most its that you put your heart and soul into it even if it is only 30 minutes of practice give it your all, there is some reading i recommend so you can get some basics into your stuff, first of all Vilppu, and hampton are sure to help you, they work the figure and the head in a very simple manner and they build on upon that!, so see if you can grab some stuff from them and just keep at it

Thank you! Coincidentally, I got my hands on Vilppu's anatomy videos and book just yesterday, super excited to get off of work and do some figure drawing

Thanks
    Nice faces and you have a lot cool thought and ideas but still need to start from first simple steps. Try to draw more simplest objects like cubes spheres, keep attention on releations between forms, train the proportions on simple but correct stuff. Keep drawing!
    sketchbook
    my web Looking for a work

7. The Following User Says Thank You to n1frit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by n1frit View Post
    Nice faces and you have a lot cool thought and ideas but still need to start from first simple steps. Try to draw more simplest objects like cubes spheres, keep attention on releations between forms, train the proportions on simple but correct stuff. Keep drawing!
    Thanks for reminding me that, I started from the circles and cubes, but I couldn't stay away from constructing faces from the circles; I'll take some steps back and make my main focus getting basic shapes and proportions right for now, and just draw whole sketches and faces when I need to blow off some steam or relax

Thanks
    Good start mate
    Your hardwork can be seen in your sketch as it has lots of attraction like it is well very neat and well finished and this is a sign of good sketcher

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron2 View Post
    Good start mate
    Your hardwork can be seen in your sketch as it has lots of attraction like it is well very neat and well finished and this is a sign of good sketcher
    Thank you for that! I appreciate the encouragement!

Thanks

More sketches

I've been practising around with basic shapes, but I've also managed to squeeze in a couple of poses (no focus on anatomy at all)Name:  poses1.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  53.3 KBName:  poses2.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  60.4 KBName:  poses3.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  73.4 KBName:  poses4.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  56.9 KBName:  poses5.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  55.8 KB

Also, apologies for the terrible photos, my scanner broke down a while ago, and I'm too lazy(read: cheap) to go fix it

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Thistlegorm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Welcome aboard Thistleborn. I'm new here too. If I can, an advice. Try to post even your works on forms, this way we can help you much better. Even if you think is bad drawn, post everything. A book saga that you can't miss is the collection of Andrew Loomis books. Great lessons on drawing. Try go here to get them: http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/

And another good book to study anatomy is "Michael Hampton- Figure Drawing - Design and Invention"
    And draw from reality.
    Keep drawing! Don't give up!
    "The fulfillment of oneself is achieved with victory over their challenges"
    My thought

My SkEtChBoOk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucarky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucarky View Post
    Welcome aboard Thistleborn. I'm new here too. If I can, an advice. Try to post even your works on forms, this way we can help you much better. Even if you think is bad drawn, post everything. A book saga that you can't miss is the collection of Andrew Loomis books. Great lessons on drawing. Try go here to get them: http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/

And another good book to study anatomy is "Michael Hampton- Figure Drawing - Design and Invention"
    And draw from reality.
    Keep drawing! Don't give up!
    Thank you for your link and advice! The only reason I haven't posted form is because I know what I'm getting wrong so far and I know how to fix it, when I post here I try to post what I know is wrong, but I don't know how or why it's wrong

Right now I'm reading Vilppu's drawing manual as LionheartGFX suggested, but I'll alternate between that and Loomis, honestly, I love both authors methods!

Thanks

Giving life to basic shapes

So, I'm reading up on Vilppu's manual, and here I'm trying (operative word: trying) to give these shapes some life (had a public holiday, so 7 whole hours of basic shapes )

Name:  P1000422.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  41.3 KBName:  P1000423.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  43.9 KBName:  P1000424.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  41.1 KB

After that, I tried to break down the female body with those shapes; however, they seem worse than the studies I've done without any shapes as references.

Maybe it's because I'm still new to applying the shapes to the body? Or is it just that I'm doing it all wrong? :p Opinions on that would be appreciated:

Name:  P1000425.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  49.3 KBName:  P1000426.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  46.5 KBName:  P1000427.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  47.6 KB

Also, sorry for the terrible, TERRIBLE quality, had no choice in the matter

Thanks

Figures with shapes

So yesterday I posted saying that I was trying to create figures out of shapes (spheres as the base of chests, cubes for the knees etc) and said that I wasn't sure it was the right approach for me, but today I practised it some more, and I think it makes sense, something still feels off however, and here's one sketch where I felt I started to understand it:

Name:  P1000428.JPG
Views: 617
Size:  149.3 KB

Something is still eluding me however, I've added the (shabby) replicas of the shapes I used to create the figure with on the sides; can you guys see what's going wrong? (my beginner eyes fail me! :p )
    ”I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

My (currently) terrible sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey man great to see other people trying to improve and chase their dreams. We're not alone eh? Though it can feel that way sometimes. I don't really have any critique to offer other than that your proportions were a bit off on some of your gesture drawings. keep it up man

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Beartankmaster For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast