Critique requested (image nsfw)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Critique requested (image nsfw)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critique requested (image nsfw)

Attachment 1656272
    Just seeking a critique on this wip--I'll probably end up posting updates as well.
    mostly i'm looking at the composition right now, trying to see if i want to change any lines before I fill in.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why do you have an almost naked chick and a clothed guy, it makes no sense. Also her one hand holding his wrist looks, weird, also doesn't make sense, its like shes stopping him, but thats obviously not the case.

Your painting is really, dirty, grubby. I would go back in and refine it, the colours seem like a bad choice, and the original skin tones look, off, too.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by self-epidemic View Post
    Why do you have an almost naked chick and a clothed guy, it makes no sense.
    You see ....when a guy likes a girl...

The breasts are off on this piece, the nipple is in the wrong place. You also need to work on the heads, the profile of the heads are incorrect, especially where the brow of the forehead and nose meet.

The reason the composition is off is because you're not putting enough space in the canvas. If this is a digital drawing increase the size of the canvas and stop letting it rule you and your drawing.

If this is a traditional piece you need to start doing thumbnails and figure out placement before you start painting on the canvas. Though, doing thumnbails before going full out on drawing is better for both digital and traditional.

The arm on the viewing left is at a very awkward tangent and the fingers are bent weird. It makes it look like she's missing a finger even though you see 4.

Stop coloring details until you get the major blocks of color down - your drawing is just going to looked pieced together because you decided to spend more time making hair look like "hair" and not spend time working out ALL the colors in the work.

I know this sounds, not so fun, but honestly you need to redraw the whole thing and work out several ideas and positions (hurrr)/compositions.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Use reference for figures and lighting; pose yourself or your friends if you can't hire models. Really most of the problems you have would have been obvious shooting reference for it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    You see ....when a guy likes a girl...

The breasts are off on this piece, the nipple is in the wrong place. You also need to work on the heads, the profile of the heads are incorrect, especially where the brow of the forehead and nose meet.

The reason the composition is off is because you're not putting enough space in the canvas. If this is a digital drawing increase the size of the canvas and stop letting it rule you and your drawing.

If this is a traditional piece you need to start doing thumbnails and figure out placement before you start painting on the canvas. Though, doing thumnbails before going full out on drawing is better for both digital and traditional.

The arm on the viewing left is at a very awkward tangent and the fingers are bent weird. It makes it look like she's missing a finger even though you see 4.

Stop coloring details until you get the major blocks of color down - your drawing is just going to looked pieced together because you decided to spend more time making hair look like "hair" and not spend time working out ALL the colors in the work.

I know this sounds, not so fun, but honestly you need to redraw the whole thing and work out several ideas and positions (hurrr)/compositions.
    First, thank you for your critique. This type of response was exactly what I was hoping for.
    Second, the profiles may be a stylistic choice--these are based on character styles from video games, so if you're referring to the lack of the usual indent, then that is my explanation.
    The lack of space on the canvas was a personal choice, as for this certain piece I didn't want too much extra space, but I will resize and see how it changes the piece.
    As for your anatomical advise, I will certainly revisit the problem areas. Her arm definitely looked off to me, but I couldn't quite pinpoint why so I left it alone. And you know, the coloring thing is honestly not my usual routine. I truly am not sure why I didn't block in colors first. Woops :/
    But, thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I wrote out a full reply but it seems to have been eaten.
    But, thank you for your advice, and I have taken everything into consideration. The one thing I will note is that the brow/nose issue may be because I intentionally left out the indent because of the style of the games that these two belong too, as this is indeed fanart.
    I will post adjusted lineart soon.
    (and also to be honest I have no clue why I didn't block out colors first, since that's what I usually do. sigh)
    edit: mostly revised her arm--better? worse?
    Name:  xan iorveth.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  109.9 KB

Last edited by weirdoqueen; December 10th, 2012 at 06:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The main area that could be improved IMHO is that both the faces are at exact profiles, which looks a bit stiff. It might be stronger too if they are both looking each other in the eye but that's a matter of opinion I guess.

It looks as if his right arm is wrapped around her but we can't see it, from his pose I would expect his elbow to be on her shoulder, and then his forearm and hand grasping her somewhere

The angle of her right forearm and upper arm don't seem to match, the arm going down but the forearm is position as if the arm were going out.

i did a quick sketch as a suggestion of what i mean

Name:  couple.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  31.4 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to aks9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try to make more background color , add a little bit more red to skin and make the light sources sure ; these are just my opinions ;the drawing is ok and wait to see the improved .

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Block it out in silhouette and start seeing if the shapes of your characters read well, then start putting blocks of color over it.

You can see what this couple is doing very well in this http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbvie...blue-light.jpg

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.