Things not to do while drawing
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Things not to do while drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Things not to do while drawing

a little something that happened to me the other day ( ._.)..

did any other funny (not as funny) accidents happen to you guys? : P

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Niam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The designer sitting next to me tried to catch an Xacto knife that rolled off her desk. Oh, she caught it. She surely did.

Worse, she was a new hire, still in the probationary period, so her insurance hadn't kicked in. The company took care of her, though. I think she permanently lost some feeling in that hand.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's terrible! I learned to let those things go when I used to do scale models few years ago. One time the blade snapped. I put too much pressure on it. Blood everywhere. Well, kinda looked funny since this one unfinished soldier didn't have the leg glued on yet and now he had blood all over him.

Only "accidents" that I had while drawing were usually cat related. For instance, when I went to take a glass of pepsi, came back and it just sat there on my tablet, casually looking at me like: "How's it going?". I move it aside and it just keeps coming back. I miss that stubborn cat.

My sketchbook. Let me show you it.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Oh, she caught it. She surely did."

"I miss that stubborn cat."

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I've learned not to strew paint tubes all over the floor while working on a large painting, and then stand on a chair to reach the top of the painting, and then jump off without looking where I'm about to land...

Burnt umber AAAALLLL over the living room.

Could've sold the room as an action painting.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got distracted while drawing and went to play with a big knife in a sheath laying on my desk.
    To test the strength of the sheath I tried holding the knife by the sheath upside down, to see if it would fall out.

It did.

Sometimes I detest my ninja reflexes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I´m terified of xacto knifes, got a pretty scar on the base of my left index finger to go with that feeling.

But this accidents seem to occur mainly when you stop drawing and fool around, stay safe, don´t stop drawing

One time years ago i was in a rush to grab a pencil for some reason and put the hand in one of those big offce desk drawers without looking and i stabbed my left hand with one of the sharpened pencils that was put with the pointy side up. That thing hurt, my ego mostly.

Last edited by JDSart; December 9th, 2012 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got my first tattoo when I accidentally stabbed myself under the nail of my thumb with a drawing pen, hard.
    (People poked one another with sharp tools underneath the fingernails as a form of turture, I later learned.)

So if people ever ask if I'm inked, that's a positive.

Continue the critique at Deviant Art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In primary school I got stabbed in the face with a pencil by a girl I'd been bugging. I really fancied her after that. Her dad or maybe her uncle was the [then] richest man in the world.
    I still have a faint grey mark on my cheek to remember her by.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; December 9th, 2012 at 05:14 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My wife's butt once broke my homemade light table. Full stop.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I accidentally poked my finger with a really sharp pencil at kindergarten, I still have a clear dark spot there. Once when I though a bit of the lead was still in there I gauged it open with a pin, didn't find anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, what that grey mark is, and why its never been removed by my body ive no idea. its just a small unsightly reminder of the first, but hopefully not the last time i got stabbed in the face by a princess.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; December 9th, 2012 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I accidently stabbed my palm with a steel shanked drawing pen once years ago. I was practicing assasination techniques that one of my teachers showed me, and miss timed things just a hair.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I draw I have a terrible habit of getting excited, more so, biting the inside of my mouth. I have to really consciously not do it, but I'm pretty sure its not great!

Also, I am pretty sensitive to sugar/food, so if I don't eat, I shake, I have a tendency to draw and not focus on myself and needs and then I start shaking and it takes a good age to stop it from shaking, meaning I have to patiently wait for it to end. I hate that. >:

I don't do much -real- art, ie, with paints, because I am incredibly clumsy, the amount of paint that has went in my bed sheets, clothes, carpet, meant that my Mum probably hates me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the bad habit of playing with my kneaded eraser like it's a ball and throwing it up in the air. That means my eraser spends 50% of it's time in the floor, and I get to spend time finding it and removing all the crap that sticks to it.

I tried doing the artsy thing the other day and sharpen a pencil with sandpaper. I got graphite powder on my table,hands, feet, face, and probably other places I haven't gone through yet.

"Great job guys! I love you. You're fired."

Sketchbook! Me vs Anatomy (and other things)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    The designer sitting next to me tried to catch an Xacto knife that rolled off her desk. Oh, she caught it. She surely did.

Worse, she was a new hire, still in the probationary period, so her insurance hadn't kicked in. The company took care of her, though. I think she permanently lost some feeling in that hand.
    Was this her? Seems pretty jolly about it.

http://toky.com/blog/2009/07/17/katy-vs-xacto

My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't had any injuries myself amazingly enough because i'm notoriously clumsy, the only thing I do on a regular basis is scratch my head whilst drawing and then walking around for the rest of the rest of the day with black lead smeared on my face.

However I do have a friend who's a jeweller and the worse injury she ever had was when she was at home gathering together the recycling and her husband had put a broken glass in with all the card and she sliced her hand open about 4 or 5 inches. She had to have surgery that they gave her a local anaesthetic for and her and her hubby got to watch as they patched her up. She said it made the doctor really nervous but she just found it fascinating.

So the moral of that story is, no matter how many dangerous implements you work with during the day, beware of recycling!

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; December 10th, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    its just a small unsightly reminder of the first, but hopefully not the last time i got stabbed in the face by a princess.
    LOL

I have one of those small grey spots on the palm of my hand from carrying my pencil around point first in second grade. I think they taught us to do that so we wouldn't stab other kids. I should have taken a little more care as I tried to run out a door.

I have a few exacto knife scars on my hands and arms but, while not drawing, my worst art related injury was cutting off one of my fingertips with a table saw while building an easel. I love telling that story and watching people cringe. Like the jeweler Angel mentioned I was also pretty fascinated watching the doc file down my finger bone before he stitched the skin back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Things not to do while drawing. –Sculpting?

Ha—interesting to hear all the graphite tattoo tales. I have one on my palm at the base of my index finger that I received in 3rd grade. I actually remember the day in class when I tried to poke a hole through something (don’t remember what that was exactly), when the pencil popped through, into my hand. Can’t top VK’s stab in the face tat by the world’s richest man’s daughter.

I’ve done tons of Frisk film mask cutting for airbrush illustrations over the years but have no x-acto blade horror stories. I did almost knock myself out once, in an airbrush related incident. I was 16-17. I just got home with a new spring for my airbrush when I dropped it on a rug and stepped on it while searching for it. I was pissed and did the face palm—HARD—dropped myself to my knees. I was an amped kid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got an ink mark under my chin. I don't remember doing this, but I was quite young at the time. Haven't really had a lot of injuries while making art. I'm sure I've fallen over and things like that. I remember once burning my forehead on an imac at school while waiting for a friend to finish up her work... That was weird.

MY SKETCHBOOK

Sketchbook Support Group!
    JTAART
    M-MIN
    KASHMIR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus-EZ View Post
    Only "accidents" that I had while drawing were usually cat related. For instance, when I went to take a glass of pepsi, came back and it just sat there on my tablet, casually looking at me like: "How's it going?". I move it aside and it just keeps coming back. I miss that stubborn cat.
    speaking of pets...
    My pet rabbit broke into the house once, when I found him he already finished munching on my colour pencils and halfway through my paint.
    First reaction to a green rabbit : HULK? Oh gosh, my rabbit's sniffing paint...

Last edited by Niam; December 11th, 2012 at 01:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    graphite dot on my left fore arm and leg, from annoying people.

haven't cut myself yet with a knife doing art. I've had a few cuts from knives screwing around, but not while making art. being stabbed with pencils and pens, that has happened countless times.

I've learned to make sure the caps and lids are tightly closed on my containers after once lifting up a jug of acrylic gesso (by it's lid), and before I could place my other hand as a support under the jug, top slipped off and the floor was covered in white goo.

I've also learned not to keep things by my feet, as they will find something to knock over.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Niam View Post
    My pet rabbit broke into the house once, when I found him he already finished munching on my colour pencils and halfway through my paint.
    Ha, and all I've ever had is little purple and ochre footprints all over the floor when a mouse walked through my palette...

Though I did have a squirrel break into the apartment once. Chewed a hole right through the screen and swiped an entire bag of chocolate chips. Gangsta squirrels, we has 'em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Januz View Post
    I have the bad habit of playing with my kneaded eraser like it's a ball and throwing it up in the air. That means my eraser spends 50% of it's time in the floor, and I get to spend time finding it and removing all the crap that sticks to it.

I tried doing the artsy thing the other day and sharpen a pencil with sandpaper. I got graphite powder on my table,hands, feet, face, and probably other places I haven't gone through yet.
    This post made me laugh.

When I brew any tea, it instantly becomes magnetic to my floor. I can't even count how many cups I've spilled while art-ing.

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I drink coffee all day , i joke about how everything i owned being splashed with cofee at least once, its almost not an exageration, Everywhere in my room i have dropped coffee.

Cockroaches like unwatched coffe cups to commit suicide, its a real bitch being distracted enough not to notice them floating in it before taking a sip.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk View Post
    I haven't had any injuries myself amazingly enough because i'm notoriously clumsy, the only thing I do on a regular basis is scratch my head whilst drawing and then walking around for the rest of the rest of the day with black lead smeared on my face.
    Thank god I thought I was the only one...!
    I used to do that with paint, but still!

In that regard working digitally has removed some issues... Until you notice your darling toddler children have found a place to hide your tablet's only pen, ugh.

Continue the critique at Deviant Art

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahnem Mee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Things not to do while drawing ---- Don't go on the internet?

My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSeRider View Post
    Things not to do while drawing ---- Don't go on the internet?
    This deserves to be quoted.

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to poke myself all the time reaching for pencils...then I made this.

It's actually pretty dumb. I eventually just bought an organized pencil case.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aether Technician For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.