Observation Study
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Observation Study

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Observation Study

Hi! This is a ~5 hour study from today. There's still a lot of rendering I could do on this, but I wanted to know if anyone saw any big general problems right now. I have an older study attached too, I'd love to hear if anyone spots any weak spots or faults I'm repeating.

Also, I'd love to hear if this looks like something worth finishing for my portfolio. I'm applying to be an illustration major, there's no storytelling or even much of a point of interest here so I'm not sure if I'd be better off ditching this and setting up a more interesting scene.

Name:  table so far.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  167.5 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I really like these. I definitely think they're worth pushing further, but do keep this version, in case you mess anything up.

I'm only saying that because *I* would mess this up.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    They're both nice, solid observation studies. They would be stronger ini traditional media imho, simply because you'd have physical paint texture and effects making them more intereseting. But I think they work fine, even for a portfolio - their point is to demonstrate you can see and translate, and they do that fine. OF course these would be enough and I would go with more dynamic, narrative works as teh core portfolio.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Are you painting these from life or photo? The bottom of the shade in the first one seems too dark for being observed from life. Edges are too hard and too similar in both images.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stoat - Thanks! Yep I always keep earlier versions, just to make sure I'm not messing up any basic things during detailing.

JeffX99 - Good point there, I'm less practiced with traditional so I didn't think it would be best for showing how far I can get with realism. Might try some stylized observations with traditional though, since the textures would be more exciting!

dpaint - They're both from life, you're right about the shade though. Will make sure to work on better edges, thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome! they both look great to me.
    perhaps it would be helpful if we could see comparison photos of the source you are painting from, though it could be a challenge to get the angle and lighting just right. but otherwise we can only guess how close you got to the real thing. they're beautiful studies nontheless.

the bottom ellipse of the lamp-shade looks a little flat and might be more interesting if it were curved, to see its form clearer. maybe adjust the prop?
    thats the only little niggle i can find. great work

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.