Sketchbook: Evergreen's First Sketchbook!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Evergreen's First Sketchbook!

Hello! :) I'm 4Evergreen, some call me Green some call me just Ever. I'm 16 years old, from Argentina and I started drawing around 5 months ago with little to no experience. I found this website thanks to one of Sycra's videos in youtube, if you don't know who he is, google him, he's amazing.

I have a Devaintart as well, where I post most of my finished art but I decided to come here as well in search of some constructive criticism, cause my watchers in Deviantart are mostly friends, so it's more about having fun.

I hope I can have fun here as well and learn stuff! :D I love RPGs, so something I love drawing is character designs, I love medieval fantasy so I mostly focus on that theme, though I might do some Sci-Fi in the future. I'll start by posting a druid character I created for D&D :)

Name:  Human Terren.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  246.1 KB

Although the picture isn't that old I did improve a bit since then, so I'd like to post one of my most recent drawings of him as well. I'm aiming for realism, kind of. I don't want to make completely cartoonish drawings, in any case more like manga. I'm not aiming to make my drawings look like photographs, I'm still looking for my style I guess. I do want the anatomy to be correct, so this picture here was a practice on that, I made the sketch of the body appear in low density under the clothes.

Name:  Human Terren2.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  455.0 KB

Thank you for reading! I'll try to update often! Constructive criticism is more than welcomed and appreciated! :D

Last edited by 4Evergreen; December 8th, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some Face Sketches...

So I don't even have a definite style yet, as I think I might've mentioned before. Here's proof of it. I have basically no solid idea of how to draw eyes or noses, so I experimented a bit here...

Thank you for reading! :)

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ever, I appreciate the comments! Nice to see you're here and trying to get better!

I don't think you should worry about developing a personal this early, you should master the fundamentals first. Find a good book or resource on perspective and learn all you can about it. You've got to switch from thinking in 2D shapes and lines to thinking in 3D space, once you do you'll be able to make drawings that look like convincing 3D masses in space instead of lines on a page.
    This book is a good resource for learning perspective. There are lots of other great resources for learning perspective. Andrew Loomis' books and Scott Robertson's DVDs to name a few. But in my opinion it's important that you just pick one resource and study the heck out of it. Take your time and master every new lesson before moving on to the next one. Once you've mastered perspective you'll be able to draw from your imagination more successfully.

You should also start drawing from life instead of just from your imagination. And don't just copy the shapes of things you draw, think about why their 3D mass makes them appear as they do. To really understand the object you draw, draw it from different views.
    good luck!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi 4Evergreen

nice start - i agree totaly with Samszym
    just one thing - yes it's hard work (studies, anatomy...) but don't forget to draw the things you love. That's the key for motivation and motivations is all what you need.
    keep pushing

Blog

Zauselbarts Sketchbook

Looking for a Mentor!
    stop whining, start working

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zauselbart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Perspective #1

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! I think I'll upload the exercises from the book as I try to apply them to stuff I find fun in the process :) I might do some pose/anatomy studies and I really liked drawing that tree so I might draw a bunch of those too :)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/studying-te...erial-spheres/ heres the excerise i used. Heres some books that should help you get started studying http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/! Get going =D

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wingal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great that you took an interest in art! just practice the basics for now and stick with it! of course some imagination work for fun never hurt anyone either!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start! Your brick and box's Y lines (The ones that go up and down) are tilting strangely. Here's a tip I learned in perspective class:

Think of every line you draw as an X line, a Y line, or a Z line.

Name:  y line.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  40.3 KB

The X and Z lines go toward their own points on the horizon line. The Y line is always a a right angle to the horizon line.
    Deciding which of these line systems (X,Y, or Z) every line I draw belongs to before I draw it has been really helpful in my perspective drawing.

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot! :D I appreciate the tips a lot! Thank you for helping me improve! :) All the books linked were really useful and I'm working with them!

I felt like going into some face anatomy so I did this over here. It's my first attempt at a realistic face and I am unable to do hair yet xD And shading... I just don't know anything about shading xD

Any critiques about the face are more than welcomed! But again, thanks a lot and marry Christmas in the case I don't get to update this before Christmas!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow I haven't updated this in a while :'D But I've made a lot of progress (At least I hope?)

Here's some of the old stuff I failed to update here (Not the first or last time you'll be seeing Terren):

Name:  869176f7b55cc75aa14a61bb6751ea38.png
Views: 26
Size:  263.3 KB

Name:  cdf033edcbd4a8a6caf5b32046069263.png
Views: 24
Size:  86.0 KB

Some newer designs for two new characters:

Name:  033e48c5e768d99e4a2db0a28ecfe1dd.png
Size:  181.2 KB

Name:  11aa4ad603687927ef39e134677f668c.png
Views: 27
Size:  126.8 KB

Name:  ae875c7dd432a5fef6368d65d268ccde.png
Views: 27
Size:  495.2 KB

And lastly I've been practicing eyes:

Name:  ef14707e133c020e7cf7bbf7236f8fcd.png
Size:  34.4 KB

Name:  bef167be448413092a8ff13b0b4b374e.png
Views: 24
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  eb123af2a13cf5ea2f3d61bd1c9eca24.png
Views: 28
Size:  93.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New design! The first is a regular guard armor for a story I have in mind and the second is a character of said story (I actually drew him on pencil above) uwu

Name:  e0c1ae2038566dc84f659c55752bbf89.png
Views: 22
Size:  1.01 MB

Name:  5de549e74eb84fa47cad7b5b9556ac6f.png
Views: 22
Size:  1.16 MB

Members who have read this thread: 5