MushroomWash's WIPS! Please leave some constructive critiques!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  MinotaurMushroomWash.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  400.5 KB

Made this for an assignment in my school, decided to re-create a minotaur, i humanized the face a bit, and i gave him really uncomfortable arms that wouldnt really be useful.. i also tried staying away from the normal " double jointed " legs that you usually see.

Ive worked on this for a pretty long time now.. i really want to keep the format as it is! the title thingy is just for presentation, the final product will have more creatures so that's why i have it as it is.

I'd like some crits on how i can improve the rendering/ the lighting. I also feel like i'd want to change the guy in the back a little, hes supposed to be a spartan, the idea is that the spartans have bred these creatures for use in war. I dont want him to distract from the minotaur, but i feel like i could use some help when it comes to balancing him out with the rest of the piece.. i want him to blend in yet play a tiny role.

I dont finish all that many pieces, i usually just practice tons in my sketchbook. which is something i want to change.

Finally, im really new to this site so if i'm doing something wrong when it comes to the image size / my way of uploading images, please comment on it and ill fix it!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,992 Times in 2,419 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure I buy the anatomy you've come up with he looks bipedal which makes those forelegs useless. By choosing the lighting you've effectively divided the picture in half with it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the pink/teal color scheme and you have brought it to a nice finish. It's got a textural, eerie quality. But, yes...what dpaint said. Also, claws + hooves...you'd have to sell that one to me harder.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  MinotaurCrit.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  355.2 KB

This is what i did with the previous crits in mind!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  AlienFishBirdCrit.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  312.4 KB Bird-Fish-Alien-dude. Underwater smoking and umbrella-carrying.

Name:  BugAlienCrit.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  261.9 KB Insect Alien. Color scheme influenced by the Zerg from StarCraft.

Name:  VampireCrit.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  307.8 KB Vampire Re-design. Went for a bat/snake look for him to emphasize the teeth and contagious-nature.

Would be awesome if you guys could give me some crits on these three images! I did these for a project in school and i was restricted by the image format. The alien pieces are more character showcases, while the vampire-redesign is a character showcase-illustration.

Crits on the rendering or design would be greatly appreciated!!
    c:

Last edited by MushroomWash; March 9th, 2013 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Let's see. The alien bug is by far my favorite. I'm always nagging people in the crit section to choose whether they want to do a line drawing or a painting, but that is a good example of making the two work together really well in balance. You handle "paint" nicely; that opaque, creamy quality is going to do you lots of favors.

If I had to pick a flaw, you need more work on real animal anatomy before you can sell made-up animal anatomy convincingly. That shows most in bat dude's legs (and, but less so, bird-fish-alien dude's arms). Also, his jacket...drapery studies! I guess I'm saying more fundamentals over all. I know we say that to everybody, but you in your case...you're getting really close!

As a final remark, these are all more or less competent. But for a portfolio or presentation piece, they're all missing that something a little extra that makes you go "oh!" Whether it's allowing some parts to be rougher, or pick an area and make it super tight (like maybe the lit up part of fish guy -- make that little area super detailed like human skin or manta skin or scales or something), or more dramatic lighting or...I dunno. They're good but dry. Do you know what I'm saying?

I do a lot of work like that, especially when I'm making myself do a portfolio piece or fulfill a commitment I'm not excited about. So, definitely not looking down from on high here.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll definately take the critique to heart and do tons of more animal studies and drapery studies! ill also think about focusing my focal point more the next time i'm rendering, and ill try to give it some more detail.
    Thanks a lot!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.