Character Refs
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Character Refs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character Refs

This my first time posting on the Concept Art Forums. I know that it's a simple Character but this is the first time I used shadows and lights with blues and yellows. Any advice with lights and shadows would be nice, any other tips would be great too especially with Anatomy. Thanks
    Name:  Tower-Jumpers-Character-chart-Whole.png
Views: 360
Size:  1,008.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did you do this with a mouse or do you have a tablet?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice presentation, the color backgrounds are a good touch. The characters are pretty generic for the most part.]

Work on your structure, though. Your line is not suggesting form a lot of the time, and I think that you are aiming for a more or less solid (as opposed to surreal) approach to the drawing. You should always think of the underlying structure, instead of guessing where the line goes - cartoons or realistic, it makes a lot of difference in either case.

So - structural drawing practice. Construction, perspective, anatomy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The anatomy isn't consistent, the one in green has a bigger tummy bit has muscular arms, they all look like the top and bottom halves are from different drawings, be consistent, if they're muscular, they'll be defined everywhere, if they're softer, they'll likely have pockets of fat, arms, tummy, bums. The anatomy, and the lines are your weakest area. I would focus on developing those.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,656 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Also spend some time observing light, like at the moment the orange light is actually darker than the white shirt the red panda dude is wearing, which generally doesn't happen.
    And yeah, study structure, at the moment all the light is just vague rimlights in all the characters. Something like Bridgman's or Bammes' books should help you with that.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the advice. And to answer your question about the line, I actually inked these with a pen and Nib, then scanned and cleaned it up a bit. The one in the green shirt was meant to be a bit heavier than the rest/plus sized. I guess I could make the arms a bit bigger next time. I'll look up some Structure examples.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well anatomically, it just doesn't make sense, if she was -plus sized- she would have somewhat bigger arms, its all very un-together, for lack of a better work. It doesn't flow, and I would really suggest looking at inking, it looks very, amateur, something that could be fixed and improve the quality of your works presentation ten fold if you spent a little time researching artists that work similarly to you.

Members who have read this thread: 1