After a long run, sensitivity issues with intuos4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: After a long run, sensitivity issues with intuos4

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

After a long run, sensitivity issues with intuos4

Hey, I saw reference to a similar sort of issue in another post. Namely the issue was described as a "shoelace" effect where essentially what seems to happen is that there are gaps in the pressure sensitivity recognition. Mine most commonly seems to have issues with the lower end of the spectrum (under 40 or 50% pressure). sometimes this results in a broken line, but more often just a very thin line that transitions nearly immediately into a fatter line instead of transitioning smoothly. This problem is recent, and it didn't seem to be related to a time of installing any new driver or version of photoshop (this is the only program I use my intuos for currently). I have looked into it a bit and from the sound of it, it is possible that it could be an issue with the pen nib being too worn down (it doesn't seem terribly worn down to me but I have never replaced it) or maybe an issue with the mini usb port on the tablet (I switched out the cable and thried other usb ports on my computer--- there is currently only 1 working mini usb port on the tablet so I can't really test that). Here are some examples of the problem. Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  131.0 KBName:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  87.4 KB sorry about the gigantic images... I'm not a big forum person so I just uploaded them at full size for lack of experience.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Does this happen with only one program or have you tried different ones?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well--- it happens with photoshop Cs5 and CS6... I also just tested it with Zbrush and it happens there, too. So I am guessing all applications, but I don't really have any others to test with

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It may be a pen issue have you changed the nibs to see if it resolves the problem? The only other thing is I that a mechanical component inside the pen needs to be fine tuned again?

Eraser end works ok?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I wouldn't say the eraser works ok, but it works better than the pen tip. Actually the eraser has been acting up for months so it probably isn't a good comparison. Do you think it is certainly an issue with the pen? Because I do not mind replacing it, but I just don't want to replace the pen and then find that I have to replace the tablet too, haha.

Here is the eraser
    Name:  Untitled-3.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  147.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only other thing I can think of is if you have USB or other interference with the tablet. Unless the surface is bad, which I doubt.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your help! Actually I should have mentioned this, but my friend and I re-soddered the mini-usb port to the board-- could the kind of usb intereference you are talking about be caused by soddering issues? It all looked fine to us (no overlap) but maybe I should look again. We figured it was better to try and save it than to buy a new tablet (its warranty is long gone).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    USB interference is more like attaching the tablet to a non hub usb - so it's not regulating the required power correctly. I'm not sure if it's soldering issues tbh. If you decide to get another pen to test if it is the issue - keep in mind that at least the intuos has tool id, so another pen would not be a total waste. In addition it will work with an intuos 5 tablet as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again-- I again checked the soldering and fiddles with it a little (I didn't think it was enough to change anything) but now it seems to work (fingers crossed). I will also get a longer cable so I can try plugging it into one of my back panel usb connectors (the front panel ones are a bit wonky). Anyhow, thank you.

Members who have read this thread: 1