Thread: Alienware

Thanks

Alienware

Is it worth it? Or is it overpriced? Alienware seems to be a really good laptop. Anyone know any defects? Or praises theyd like to say?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Alienware is top-notch, gaming PC's. In my opinion, their a waste of money. You can easily build your own PC, or buy from another company that is cheaper. For example, I priced a custom made (as in, you make it) AMD Athlon 2600 (2.13GHz), 512ram, Geforce 4 FX 128mb for $500 (Its a desktop, so I think that laptop parts would cost more). A PC like that, is fully capible of using any art program, games or anything else. So why buy an alienware? Because they claim they have excellent performance. I think I'll make my own and save myself hundreds of dollars.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AnarchyAo2
    For example, I priced a custom made (as in, you make it) AMD Athlon 2600 (2.13GHz), 512ram, Geforce 4 FX 128mb for $500 (Its a desktop, so I think that laptop parts would cost more).
    That sounds a bit cheap, did you include everything? Where did you get those prices?

As for the alienware, they are great but also very expensive. It seems kind of like you are paying for the pretty cases, rather than the machine (although the machines, especially their laptops, are freakishly powerful). I'd look elsewhere first. Even though I don't know about the price Anarchy quoted, you can put together youyr own machine cheaper and easier than you might suspect.

Thanks
    I didn't include the price of the monitor because I've already got one, and I didn't include the OS because I'm going to try to install my old HD (as a 2nd HD) so I can use Win 98. Then I'll switch to XP when I need to. Anyway, heres the links to the PC I've put together:
    Case
    Motherboard
    CPU
    Hard Drive
    RAM
    Heatsink
    Fan
    Video Card
    Sound Card
    CD-ROM/DVD

And the monitor that I'd use if I was to get a new one. The Windows XP off ebay would go for about 100, so with the monitor and OS, it would be around 900. But if you already have a decent monitor, a new one is a waste of money. Plus Shipping and handling. I couldn't add that in.
    Monitor

Thanks
    I was thinking of putting together my own PC. Thanks for the links. I'll check em out.
    Alienware computers do look cool. At first I was thinking that the reason they sell is because they look cool. lol.

Thanks
    lol anarchy your on 98?
    wait your running that hardware without having xp yet lol you make me laugh
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SeraphSword
    It seems kind of like you are paying for the pretty cases, rather than the machine
    That sounds like a MAC ur talking about,lol.
    Never buy pre-built computers. They're a big waste of money.

I got one custom built for about $1,000 US, that included all mentioned below by AnarchyAo2, but some of the stuff was a little better(bigger HD, faster video card) . Plus, 19" monitor, 5.1 speaker system, TV card, scanner... Thats also allow for the fact that hardware is a little more expensive in Australia, than it is in other parts of the world. $40 for DVD writer, that sux, we pay twice that much.
    Eagles fly high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Thanks
    Dished, if you want a cool looking computer, just a buy a cool looking case. You'll probably have to pay a few more dollars for a cool case, but if you want to, go for it.

Red-Rook, yeah I'm on 98. My sister has XP on her laptop and I hate it. Everything is all bright, colorful and bubbley. Egh, I hate it. Oh yeah, you want another laugh? I'm on a 400mhz, 256ram, Geforce 4 64mb PC. It sounds like complete shit but its like the little engine who could. I can run 2 EQ clients at one time, play Tribes 2 with full graphics, and warcraft 3 with medium graphics. Although, I did have a better PC, 900mhz, 256ram etc...but it broke. I kept replacing parts in it (I have about 3 shitty computers sitting around my room, I borrow parts from all of those when my computer breaks down) but it kepts breaking. First it was the hard drive, lightning went through the telephone line and fried my modem and messed up my AMD Athlon. Now the CPU gets so freaking hot, it melted part of the heatsink and I could only keep down the temp in the case by taking a side of the case off, and shoving a huge 20 inch wal-mart fan into it, lol. I thought the computer was going to catch on fire, so I shove a bag of frozen peas into it to cool it down. It melted part of the bag.

hoopa, yeah I know. All of these companies over-charge just for labor costs for putting the damn thing together. Most people are all afraid to open their PC's. They think its so complicated but its really as simple as a jig saw puzzle.

here is another site for getting cheap pc stuff
    Price Watch