Fairy's Malice WIP

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Icon Fairy's Malice WIP

Hi! I tried posting an earlier iteration of this on a different forum and it got glossed over in favor of some of my other stuff, so I am really hoping to get some feedback on what I have so far here. On the character side, I think I'm almost done and just need some revisiting of textures, edge quality and reflected light (although I might be pushing my luck with that bent foot)? I am having background issues, though, especially on how to treat those flowers on the platform without creating too much interference with the foreground.

Suggestions are loved.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,924 Times in 2,378 Posts
    you need a consistent light source and more description of the forms in whatever light you decide on. Right now everything looks flat. I don't know how that right foot goes in that position.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm not a fan of the composition. The L-framing feels a little static in this particular execution. The head is uncomfortably close to the top edge of the canvas, which can work in a few cases, but isn't right now.

Scale is confusing. I'm not sure if the figure is the typical 'faerie-size' or not. The structure of the branch and it's relationship to its flowers furthers this confusion.

I don't really know what's going on in this piece. The character is maliciously onlooking at nothing. Give it some context. Tell a story with the illustration.

You have some problems with contrast in this piece. You can convert everything to grayscale to check. The flowers on the bottom are too high contrast, and the face is too similar in value and color to the background.

Agree with everything dpaint mentioned - that foot is scary.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexokinase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to critique!

dpaint: Gotcha. Looks like I'm going to have to scour the web for some "misty light" reference in order to do what I want to do. I definitely see the foot thing. I left this piece alone for a while and it just hit me over the head when I got back - it should be at more of an angle.

Hexokinase: Good stuff. After what you said I wonder if the entire foreground part is too tightly framed? I'm going to mess with adding space to the top and bottom to give it some breathing room.
    I didn't even consider the scale issue, those flowers definitely need to be bigger, maybe twice as big now that I think of it. I'm also going to place another fairy on the platform by the large tree in the background, along with some regularly sized people, to give her something to glare at. I see what you're talking about in terms of contrast as well... my focal point is getting lost a bit.

Thanks
    heya
    i think the main issue is that the picture is half a sort of 2d profile thing, but also wants to be a 3d scene. you have to have one or the other, unless you are very careful about the way in which you mix them.

if you want to move the whole thing into a 3d scene to match the background, try thinking of the entire figure as a 3d form. heres a sketch paintover thing showing what i mean. i left out some of the wings to show the figure better in the example but of course you should include them!

Name:  fairy.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  73.5 KB

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aks9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    aks9: That's a really good point, thank you so much for taking the time for a redline! I think I'll go with your suggestion of repainting the body in 3D and mess around with the position of the face, since that part is kind of important.

Thanks
    Contrast. I recommend making certain areas, particularly the folds of the armor and gnarls of the tree, a lot darker. I know it was already stated, but I'm just reiterating it. I would also recommend doing something to outline/frame certain things through highlights or shadows or a delicate line.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LukeShetler For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.