How to make realistic creatures' heads
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: How to make realistic creatures' heads

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How to make realistic creatures' heads

Hey guys, I think this might be in the wrong forum, but I don't really know where to ask.. When making imaginary creatures, is there some book or tutorial or something you could recommend to help me make the head look realistic? I tend to make my heads very cartoonish, and it annoys me quite a lot. So yeah, in conclusion, any books to help me make better heads (and I mean animals or creatures, not people). Thanks in advanced!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,655 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    When making imaginary creatures, is there some book or tutorial or something you could recommend to help me make the head look realistic?
    Have you tried actually learning to draw real creatures, understand how they work and using photo reference based on them? There's no trick or singular tutorial to follow on making something look realistic since so many things are required for that.
    I look at your sketchbook, and you obviously can't even make a lion look realistic at all, so you shouldn't wonder why your imaginary creatures look cartoony too.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like above user said, you should study animal anatomy. Study the most random animals! And then combine them in the most unexpected ways in any proportions, let your imagination fly, think outside the box and you will get a believable monster!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ditto what the other posters said, but also here are some resources to help you along:

- Tutorial: Creature design (notice how realistic he starts out with -- proper anatomy there)

- Book: Imaginative Realism by James Gurney (who is awesome; can find a lot of the content of the book on his blog, but the book is more focused and easier to browse)

- Book: Animals Real and Imagined (I haven't actually read this book yet but based on the flip-through video on Amazon, it looks lovely)

Looking through your sketchbook, I'd suggest what you should practice is accuracy. Compare the sizes, angles and positions of stuff compared to other stuff. If you draw people (i.e. celebrities or people you know), it's easier to check how much you know because likeness dies without accuracy. Try to build up 3D models in your mind's eye. Proko's videos are very nice for understanding this for the human head (it has live action videos with the guidelines overlaid and stuff -- once you can do this in your mind, you should find yourself making much more solid-looking pictures!).

Hope this helps.

Sketchbook | Composition tutorial
    @LulieArt - Twitter, where I post useful links, tips, and neat art-related things I stumble across.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lulie For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.