I Have This Feeling That........
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I Have This Feeling That........

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking I Have This Feeling That........

people that come to this site come to mainly seek out help and advice from other artists (as I did and so far I have gotten great advice, Thanks Guys). But I feel that they are doing it for the wrong reasons. I think that most people come on here to learn to draw not because they enjoy art and are driven by passion but are driven by jealousy of other peoples work.

The see a magnificent Painting or drawing and think"I want to do that". But when they start to figure out that art is a slow process and find out that its harder than it looks and that it takes a lot of dedication they get frustrated and ask something like "What way is the fastest way to learn art?"

I don't know that's my two cents about the matter what do you guys think?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    People are free to try their hand at art for whatever reason they damn well please. If it's just "jealousy" (I'd rather say admiration, who doesn't start to draw because they're inspired by other artists?) and they don't enjoy the process, they'll stop. Why should anyone care for what reason they start?

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand exactly what your saying and I agree . And by using jealousy I'm sure it gave across the wrong feeling to you .Maybe lust is a better word?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It isn't necessarily a bad thing if they start their artistic journey for "selfish" reasons because, as Kjesta stated, in the end they're only going to go as far as they can will themselves. If they can turn that "selfish" desire in to an actually passion for art and then do it because they love it then it becomes a positive for them and perhaps even for the community.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Think Tank For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanBlacknWhite View Post
    I understand exactly what your saying and I agree . And by using jealousy I'm sure it gave across the wrong feeling to you .Maybe lust is a better word?
    Heck, I *still* lust after great work I see. As soon as I see something I visually covet I start wondering whether I could do one too.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. People show up in gyms every January too, wanting to become skinny athletic types in six weeks or less. It does most of them no harm and a few discover a real interest in the thing they're trying.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,656 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And I have this feeling OP would like to be bit holier than thou, as I guess you came here for the "right" reasons.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    And I have this feeling OP would like to be bit holier than thou, as I guess you came here for the "right" reasons.
    Everyone starts their journey for different reasons. Not all of them have to be straight out of a book.

It's a gradient scale of egotism and wanton lust on opposing sides, is what I'm saying. Straight up validation probably isn't going to come from a lot of people here, if you're right, TinyBird.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess a large majority of artists start out wanting to create good/beautiful/powerful art. They want to be able to create paintings like X or Y. That's absolutely natural and there's nothing wrong with that.
    The appreciation of and love for the process, which is one of the ultimate keys to success for any artist, usually comes later (or not at all, in that case people usually give up).

Live and let live.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I come here because I am told far too often that I'm "good". I'm not, I know I'm not, but there is no where thats actually critical.

Though if I had to be honest, I'm very shy of posting my work because I feel I'm not good enough, however, as my boyfriend would also argue with me, I've learnt a lot, I now understand, instead of seeing, I know.

I have a long way, but I don't see what is wrong with wanting to be the best you can be, to improve, wherever its because you've seen gorgeous work or because you want to produce gorgeous work, maybe you're trying to speak, or argue a social construct. Who cares, just enjoy it. Anyone who loves the art community I am thankful for.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.