Need a critique for this stuff..
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Need a critique for this stuff..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need a critique for this stuff..

Hi guys,i made this portrait only to improve my skills.
    I'm new in digital painting,so,I need a critique on it.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Stop trying to paint digitally. Get some pencils, a pack of paper, the textbooks by Andrew Loomis, and practice the fundamentals. Structural drawing, perspective, lighting, anatomy. You can't handle painting without a solid skill in those.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like a Musician needs to learn scales and how the basic building blocks of music work to make music, you need to learn perspective, anatomy and shading to make portraits. Imagine a real life human that's only skin, without any muscles and bones? That's who you painted just now
    Attached image is NOT a tutorial for you (There's a lot more to learn than this basic image), it's just an example how you need to construct a solid base, skeleton, wire-frame... It's required no matter if you're drawing from photo or mind, you don't just plop colors on the same location as you see it in the photo, you take the photo and re-construct it in 3D on your paper as a skeleton and then apply your 'skin' on that skeleton. Here's something for you: http://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV This guy is great, he will explain everything from drawing a head in any angle to drawing the final facial features. Good luck!!!

Attached Images Attached Images  

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your comments guys! Really appreciate them.
    Trase I'm watching the videos and I'm finding them really really interesting,and they are very simple to understand.
    I'll follow your advices next time and I'm sure that the result will better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With art, there is some deep understanding you need to know, to create a good piece. That is all those laws and rules people have explained. Skin has so many levels to it, like vessels, cappillaries, all these, add different colours, reflective light, pores, shadows, warm and cold. All these will effect the out come. For colour, go get a picture, get the eyedrop tool and just look at all the colours in the skin. It'll hopefully make you go, ah.

Also, if you're wanting to improve I would suggest researching and studying artists. While painting or working on something, have a piece of theres up, and study how they paint, understand form, its a good way to think past your work and look for the technicality. Another is to copy an artists work. This will help in that extra layer of understanding.

You should make a sketchbook on here, and do a lot of studies, gestures, anatomy. They'll all increase your ability tenfold.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you too self-epidemic.Yes,I agree with you...shortly I'll make a sketchbook and I hope that I improve as an artist!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.