Chrismas gifts... what to do?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chrismas gifts... what to do?

Hey guys, do any of you have any good ideas as to what one might do in the gift department.

What are good gifts to give, to get?

What would be the best gift ever in your eyes?

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maidith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well yourself, or others.

I was mainly thinking, I cant be the only one having trouble finding gifts for loved ones, or even coming up with a chrismas wish list.

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe there are websites entirely dedicated to making you buy stuff. This isn't one of those.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    true enough I guess, I was just seeking ideas from like minded individuals...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You must be a man incinerated :p (just kidding)

The best gifts are always something they're not expecting (e.g like a deep-tissue massage or facial, or a day trip out somewhere) or something they can find useful or something frivolous that they wouldn't think of buying for themselves.

If all else fails: booze, chocolates, calenders and diaries, smellies, scarves and gloves or slippers are a good default gift.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am a man indeed a manly man.

Perhaps those are good ideas, I mean you can only pull the drawn portrait gift so many times.
    besides no one I know says no to booze and chocolates. Sometimes one just needs a push in the right direction

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The best gifts are gifts chosen with the recipient specifically in mind. We can't help you there. I for one would have no use for booze and think scarves, gloves and slippers are boring gifts. And smelly things sent to me would be re-gifted to someone else ASAP. Give me art books, art supplies, or a gift certificate to the Strand Bookstore or Dick Blick any day.

Actually, when in doubt, gift certificates to someplace the recipient likes to shop ain't a bad idea... Let them pick out their own gift. If you REALLY don't know what they like, a gift card for Amazon is an okay catch-all.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the past few years I mostly just made donations to charity, and made it clear to family and friends that this would be all. This year I cannot even afford the charity thing. I'll try to make time to go donate blood.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pff, my family has pretty much mutually decided to skip the whole gift thing as too stressful and expensive... Now we just get together for a big meal, and the people who can bake usually make some kind of goodies. Any gift-giving is optional. It really is a lot less hectic, and you can ignore the crazed commercial frenzy of the season.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    QG: thats the truth, the gift should match the relation... By the way any good art book recommendations?

Blogmatrix Tough break about the tightness of money been there... And I really dont like needles, but I think thats fantastic, I find that very admirable.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Id second waht Angelintheuk said, adding that stupid joke presents, like a load of horrid china dolls and a hammer often also go down quite well and dont cost much.
    oh and drawings, people like a drawing too. plus its way more fun to spend 5 hours drawing than 5 hours shopping...

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally I love comprehensive encyclopaedia type books. Or cooking books, or kitchen stuff.

My mother loves bath salts or soaps in pretty colours with nice smells, hard soaps and scented candles and stuff like that. So that's easy.

Someone I know is a Tim Burton junkie, so I tend to give him movies. He also likes TV shows like Lost and Dexter. So he gets what he doesn't have that I find. He's also a photographer, so he gets that stuff as well.

One hint in selecting the perfect gift for people who doesn't like surprises: The first object that comes to mind when you think of the person, and if they would be likely to get that object themselves, they will most probably be happy to get it as well.
    If they are really "practical" get them something they need that they might not have thought about or some fun gadget.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Medusa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 833 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I usually go looking for anything interesting i can find. And when I'm all out of options I buy chocolates for the rest...

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

23. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Pff, my family has pretty much mutually decided to skip the whole gift thing as too stressful and expensive... Now we just get together for a big meal, and the people who can bake usually make some kind of goodies. Any gift-giving is optional. It really is a lot less hectic, and you can ignore the crazed commercial frenzy of the season.
    Yup, I find that without all the frantic gift-shopping, I get much closer to my family and friends, and end up actually feeling more of the traditional Christmas spirit.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's hard to give recommendations because nobody knows what your family/friends like or already have, so these threads end up turning into "well Aunt Flossie hates those and Uncle Olaf already has five of them."

But when in doubt, give consumables (chocolate, tea, booze, bath products, sketchbooks, etc.) because if they turn out to be successful they will get used up and you can give them again next year. Also if someone gets five sets of soap one year they will use it up eventually while if they get five copies of the same book, four have to be returned.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

27. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If its for "bros" just buy them booze. Things like novelty gifts are wasteful, only provides a few minutes of entertainment at best. A good bottle can be enjoyed over weeks. If they are a big fan of a movie or a book you could consider related merchandise, but there's the risk of them already having those items themselves. Watches and wallets are expensive when you're going for quality and they might not like the design. Nothing quite as awkward as asking for the receipt so they could exchange it at the store. Buying presents for female friends are trickier---it really depends on what they like. X person could like stuffed toys/chocolate but Y person will prefer you buying them a good makeup kit or unique looking jewellery.

Personally, I'd be very happy to get a good cigar or bottle of bourbon/whiskey/vodka. Me and my friends arent picky at all, thats a good thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,973 Times in 2,407 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just get a big, double headed, battery operated, dildo. Man, woman, child, grandma, grandpa, mother, father ,co-worker, boss or cherished spouse, its the gift that keeps on giving and the kind of present few would buy for themselves. Everyone who was there will remember when your mother-in-law opened that present in front of friends and family.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,621 Times in 3,779 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Just get a big, double headed, battery operated, dildo. Man, woman, child, grandma, grandpa, mother, father ,co-worker, boss or cherished spouse, its the gift that keeps on giving and the kind of present few would buy for themselves. Everyone who was there will remember when your mother-in-law opened that present in front of friends and family.
    dpaint, you are an evil man.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Ahhhh... So they can all go f**k themselves... I LIKE IT!

Hmmm... I'll have to go order a pallet full.

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.