Adderall and other ADHD medicine
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Adderall and other ADHD medicine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Adderall and other ADHD medicine

Has anyone tried them? My doctor thinks it will help with my ADHD and short attention span. I don't know if I should or not because my friend told me he became a soulless ant worker.

Any reviews would be great. I asked my doctor for specifics already but I wanted to know if anyone has experience with them. And, for those who have tried them, has it affected your work at all?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did your doctor tell you you needed to take them for a long time for them to work? I know some ppl take Ritalin on weekdays and take a break on weekends. Is Adderall like that? You could give it a try and see, unless it's like anti-depressants and trying stuff fucks you up even more. Some how I believe that it's not the case since ADHD drugs tend to be stimulants.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Saraiva,

First, as a disclaimer you should know that drugs affect everyone differently depending on your body chemistry, etc.
    That said, I went and got checked out for ADD (not ADHD, I'm a lazy bastard without medication) years ago and got put on Ritalin. It has changed my life. I used to start projects and never finish them. I pretty much failed out of school and generally F'ed everything up consistently. After I starting taking Ritalin regularly (As Qitsune said it took a small amount of time for it to "build up" in my system) I finish each project I start, I went back to school and was on the Dean's List almost the whole time (That doesn't mean much at an art college, but it just gives perspective on the improvement). And now I'm breaking into the industry and starting to get some professional jobs that will be in print soon. So it has worked out well for me. Also, just growing the hell up could have helped all this along as well.

Now, negatives.
    I don't sleep as well as I used to. However I have a toddler, Sleep Apnea, and I generally sleep about 5 hours a night based on my workload (day job and nightly illustration work) so take that will a grain of salt.
    I'm more aggressive. Generally something I like, but I used to be more laid back. I also sometimes argue when I really should just let things go.
    I have no idea what kind of long term effects this drug will have on my body. I was told it hasn't been prescribed long enough for long term tests to be reliable. I'm sure someone here could let us know more and I probably don't even want to know.
    I have to call in and pick up my prescription from the doctor monthly and visit at least once every 3 months for checkup because it is a controlled substance.
    Laws have also changed and I will be required to take a random drug test during a doctor's visit once a year or so, to determine whether or not I'm taking my prescription or selling it I suppose. These stimulants have been grouped in with laws regulating some of the more serious drugs.

To conclude all this, it has been a major improvement for me. But I made sure that I was tested by an actual neurologist to be diagnosed. And I do believe that ADHD and ADD are widely over diagnosed and little kids shouldn't be given drugs just because they have short attention spans and misbehave.
    Hope this helps.

-I also had a doctor switch me to Stratera at one point because it doesn't require you to pick up the prescription from the doctor every month but it turned me into an absolute zombie. I couldn't remember groups of numbers for even a minute.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FuriousPanda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried Adderall once, but I don't have focusing problems. I took it before work, busted out the cleaning binder and deep-cleaned shit like crazy. It was one of my most productive days at work, probably ever. Problem was (and I know the effect is diferent for everyone) for me that stuff waS highly addictive. I wanted more but I didnt have a way to get any. I looked online for ways to try and fake out a psychiatrist to get a prescription, and even made an appt with a general practitioner to see if she'd refer me. I was too chickenshit to actually see a psych, plus I was worried that would show up on my mom's insurance or something. Thinking back now how desperate I was for it for weeks after I had one pill I am glad I wasn't able to get more...If i want to work better I want to be able to push myself there through will, not have to rely on an outside source if I don't have to. I am aware this is not option for people that have medical conditions. I won't lie though, if I had an easy way to get more I probably would even now.

I had 2 pills initially. My now-husband who had ADHD when he was younger HATES the stuff and made me throw out the second one. I still think I haven't seen him as angry and concerned as on that day.

Anyways that's my personal experience with it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My wife tried a variety of medications for anti-anxiety and anti-depression. They put her on adderall for about a very short time to counter the effects or one of the other pills that was making her too sleepy.
    Honestly? It was all a nightmare. She was on this cocktail of shit that essentially turned her into a zombie. One of the pills would "work", but the side effects were brutal and needed too many counterweights to keep her functioning.

After about a year of that, she decided to ween off of everything and she decided that she preferred herself off the drugs. At least she felt "real" as she called it. As her husband, I agree. I'd rather she be my wife than whatever those pills made her.
    Now, from what I remember about her being on adderall specifically, it definitely countered the effects of the other pills she was on (so she did not get as tired) but she seemed "off" to me.

ONE of the pills made her INCREDIBLY irritable and angry - though I can't remember if that was the time she was on adderall.
    This probably doesn't help that much now that I think about it.

But I will agree that all prescriptions drugs affect people differently and regardless of what you take, just make sure to monitor yourself and let your doctor know what it's doing to you. If it's bad, don't take it! The doctor is there to help you, but he can only do so if you are honest with him.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've only heard the horror stories about adderall too. I never bothered to look into it because no one suggested I use that. But it sounds bad. So maybe steer clear of that.

I can't concentrate for shit without medication. It's hard to describe if you haven't had the problem, but I actually feel like my head is in a fog without it. I can't concentrate on anything for long and I have trouble coming to conclusions that are easy otherwise. I definitely don't think medication is for everyone and other than my knock off ritalin, the most stuff I'll usually take is a couple advil.

If you're just having a motivation problem, just try to suck it up and work hard. No medication makes that easier, and you never know what some pills are going to do to you in the long run.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty sure if my parents had put me on Ritalin when the doctors told them to instead of refusing because they were pseudo hippies scared of science I would probably be years ahead in art or whatever career path I would have chosen.. But they were afraid I would turn into a zombie and never feel emotion again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthonycarey View Post
    But they were afraid I would turn into a zombie and never feel emotion again.
    They might have been right, you never know. I had one doctor tell me he would never prescribe it because it was "Dialed down Speed."

Trust me, if I could just focus through a little determination it would be much better than relying on a medical crutch. I'm trying to make sure that I'm not coming across as saying "Ritalin rules!" I'm really not, it just worked for me. Like I said earlier I got put on one drug briefly that worked great for other people and turned me into a brain muncher. It's a serious choice to decide if you should try prescription. That's why a doctor has to give it to you. Not that you should always trust a doctor but that's my weirdo paranoia talking...

There are tons of other factors in life that can fracture concentration. Look to remedy that stuff first before you think medicine might fix everything. I've found out that eating protein and carbs together can fog me up, those two combined are a brain blocker from what I've read. And try to avoid eating much around your most productive times of day. You'll keep those synapses firing fast and your metabolism up. Keep some peanuts or quick protein around for a snack to keep you functioning well if you start to drag. Those things work for me. And COFFEE! God I love coffee! Or tea, just not soft drinks or energy drinks. Try to sleep as much as you're supposed to. This is an area where I am awful at following my own advice but trust me, it affects your concentration. Plus, you look all haggard and that's never attractive.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What FP's saying I agree with; sleep enough if you possibly can, or at leas make a point of catching up when you can, eat small and often and healthy, again if budget permits.

im a big fan of coffee, bananas (i hate the texture but they give your brain a big focus boost) and working at night.
    oh an a spliff at my side helps, but thats not for everyone!

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; December 7th, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I like Dougie....not certain it helps, but he seems to make sense.

My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    LOVE that guy.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.