simple abstractish drawing
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: simple abstractish drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

simple abstractish drawing

I haven't done anything digitally in a while so I thought I'd practice my light/shadows and whatnot.
    To me it looks almost lacking in depth though I did add in some details here and there.
    Feel free to let me know your first impression/technical criticisms.

Name:  someone_else_by_mis_ry-d5n6htu.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  74.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's a disembodied head floating in the middle of the blank page. You've detailed some bits but only marginally touched the others. The drawing isn't very solid, you are following the contours instead of the volume, you are not thinking of how facial features are tied together into the face, and your anatomy is very, very incorrect in many places - the worst of them being the neck.

Get a pencil, some paper, and sketch. Study composition, perspective, structural drawing, lighting, and anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the hand on her right shoulder. Besides the anatomy issues, though, the front-on lighting isn't very flattering or interesting, and I think it's also contributing to your lack of depth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan_R View Post
    I like the hand on her right shoulder. Besides the anatomy issues, though, the front-on lighting isn't very flattering or interesting, and I think it's also contributing to your lack of depth.
    the near front-on lighting isn't the most interesting of lighting choices but I don't think that should be a problem all on its own; I probably have to work on lights and shadows in general.
    though I agree if I had more than one light source and it wasn't front-on, that might add more depth.
    thanks for your input but I wish people would specify what parts of the anatomy need some work on when they critique something
    because being told to just go out and sketch things and work on anatomy as arenhaus suggested isn't very helpful. just about anyone can say that.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlymittens View Post
    the near front-on lighting isn't the most interesting of lighting choices but I don't think that should be a problem all on its own; I probably have to work on lights and shadows in general.
    though I agree if I had more than one light source and it wasn't front-on, that might add more depth.
    thanks for your input but I wish people would specify what parts of the anatomy need some work on when they critique something
    because being told to just go out and sketch things and work on anatomy as arenhaus suggested isn't very helpful. just about anyone can say that.
    Wow...I was going to say the same thing. The "parts of the anatomy" aren't the problem. Lack of understanding basic fundamentals is. But anyone can say that too.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painting on a white background is almost never a good idea, unless you're already pretty damn good at color and value. I realize that a lot of people are going off of yonder PS painting tutorial which has you paint on a white bg, but I honestly think that's really shitty advice. White backgrounds throw off your ability to guage color and value and fight with the foreground for visual dominance in a composition.

Also I don't see what's abstract about your painting, it seems pretty figurative to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlymittens View Post
    Your problems are not with "parts" of anatomy, your problems are systemic.

You aren't thinking in 3D, you aren't building the drawing, you ignore perspective and you don't know enough anatomy to build a cohesive head. So what you need to do is not "fix" this by tweaking a few parts; this picture cannot be fixed that way. What you need to do is go and develop your drawing method by practicing the fundamentals.

Which is what I had said.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by humboldt squid View Post
    Painting on a white background is almost never a good idea, unless you're already pretty damn good at color and value. I realize that a lot of people are going off of yonder PS painting tutorial which has you paint on a white bg, but I honestly think that's really shitty advice. White backgrounds throw off your ability to guage color and value and fight with the foreground for visual dominance in a composition.

Also I don't see what's abstract about your painting, it seems pretty figurative to me.
    that's some pretty good advice about the background color
    and I used the word abstract pretty loosely I guess, I don't know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    Your problems are not with "parts" of anatomy, your problems are systemic.

You aren't thinking in 3D, you aren't building the drawing, you ignore perspective and you don't know enough anatomy to build a cohesive head. So what you need to do is not "fix" this by tweaking a few parts; this picture cannot be fixed that way. What you need to do is go and develop your drawing method by practicing the fundamentals.

Which is what I had said.
    the 3D bit of what you said seems interesting. I'll think about that next time I'm drawing.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.