Off to a nice start? Or not?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Off to a nice start? Or not?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Off to a nice start? Or not?

Super nervous posting here, this looks like a very serious and awesome community! I've been drawing some stuff here and there, just for the fun of it, never really focused on the studying. You know, the excitement of having a new toy/software/you name it and the urge to just play with it for a little bit before actually beginning to learn and study it, that's what I did for the past few months. But in the past few weeks I slowly realized that I'm now ready to start doing this stuff seriously, doesn't matter if I have to start with basic shapes or something like that, I do want to learn, ability to express your imagination on paper for others to see always amazed me.

I uploaded my latest piece here, but it's not limited to that, I would like to hear your opinions on any of the drawings in this album: http://imgur.com/a/Q0NEY (it's all I have done in these months except some small 15 minute doodles)

I don't know if you guys have any 'minimum' skill requirement to post, if you decide that there's nothing yet to criticize in my drawings then no offence taken, I will gladly lurk, read some books, do some real practice, study and post something better in the future

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm planning to do some simple value studies today, like this one: *click* Taken from Saran's Sketchbook.
    It's freezing outside so I will be doing them from photos I find on the internet. Question is: For value study for a total beginner, should I turn the photos black and white before drawing from them or should I learn to 'scan' the values in a colored enviornment?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting question but I don't think it matters, there's no big difference in difficulty whether you draw a value study from black and white or colored photo. Either way, it's a good idea. Since you seem to be environment-focused, the archived classes on the Environmentoring section of the forums, starting from linear perspective are a great learning reference.

For the colored work, this could be a bit of a personal opinion but I'd recommend dumping the colored pencils and working in some medium where you can physically mix the colors like those acrylics, if you prefer to paint with traditional mediums. With colored pencils, it's hard to get accurate colors because you're inclined to use the colors of the pencils.

The picture above looks OK, but it suffers from that simplified color scheme caused by the medium. I also don't see why the ground is blowing off, you could add a plane shooting it and a hero ducking behind cover or something.

Keep drawing and painting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by smuli View Post

I also don't see why the ground is blowing off, you could add a plane shooting it and a hero ducking behind cover or something.
    It's actually a distant flying island and a 'magical trail of smaller flying islands' (tm) ...I forgot the atmospheric perspective on that one, oops. Thanks for the link, very helpful.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.