Make Something Unreal Live 2013 Reflection
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Make Something Unreal Live 2013 Reflection

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Make Something Unreal Live 2013 Reflection

So we just got back from London where we pitched our project to the managing director of Epic, a bunch of guys from various smaller games companies and a representative from the Welcome Trust. The ultimate prize, 5 Unreal Engine 4 commercial licenses valued at close to 500,000. This is a BIG event.

Maybe I'm growing cynical of the video games industry these days, but hear me out. Staffordshire University was responsible for most of the logistical organisation of the event. So from the start I said that at least 2 Staffs teams will get in. There were 2 teams from Europe so I predicted that at least one will get into the final as well. The last place is usually left for the underdog team. The last team consisted of 3 guys from Abertay (my uni), who made their concept up in an hour or so before the pitch, half of the team bailed and they nearly didn't make it because the bus was late. Also, almost all of them are in their first year of the university. Perfect underdog. So surprise, surprise they got in.

Now I'm not saying a global, multibillion coorporation like Epic would politicise its competition for maximum value and publicity. I can't help but feel a little bit bitter, but at the same time all judges agreed that they love the art direction and aesthetic quality of the project. My art direction. So I'm quite chuffed about that

What are your views on this? Would be good to hear people who've been in the industry for a while.

Last edited by Thoolhoo; December 5th, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
    Blog - Check it out. It's fun.

Sketchbook - I should really update more often.

Portfolio - The most fun of them all.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't say I've been in the industry for a while, but I've been hanging around these forums for a while and I sense an incoming racism discussion.

"The last team consisted of 3 black guys from Abertay, who made their concept up in an hour or so before the pitch" You might want to rephrase that.

Anywho, sucks that you didn't win. Better luck next time!

EDIT: Also, is there any way we could see your stuff versus the stuff that won? I'm a little hazy on the exact rules of the competition, but I'm guessing it has something to do with concept art?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I changed it. However, they were from my university, all three of them were black, and they did put their presentation together an hour before their pitch. Calling somebody black has long stopped being a taboo where I am from. I know two of them personally and they both are sound guys, so let's not make this into a racism discussion.

Unfortunately we were not allowed to see other teams' pitches but from what we got told by the judges, all the game concepts were fairly similar. You can see my input on my blog, but honestly I don't know what the other teams pitches. For all I know they really were superior concepts and maybe it's not at all how it looks.

Last edited by Thoolhoo; December 5th, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
    Blog - Check it out. It's fun.

Sketchbook - I should really update more often.

Portfolio - The most fun of them all.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.