Need help with perspective (My practice with perspective)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

:help:
    I would need help with the box to the right, it seems strange to me, but don't know really why.
    It's maybe that the 2 vanishing points aren't in the right place (the box is meant to have 90 degree corners), but if that's the problem, is there an easy way to figure out where to put the 2nd vanishing point?
    I really appriciate any advice.
    Thx in advance!

P.S.: you can also give crits to the thing in the left side of the pic (I don1T know its name)

Last edited by qzole; July 4th, 2004 at 02:45 PM.
    If you are not the part of the solution, then you are the part of the problem.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing is wrong with that box. Perspective suppose to look like that, not always have 90 degree angles. You can put vanishing point where ever you want. It is up to the artist to decide. As for the thing on the left....looks like you just drew it in....perhaps one point perspective? Even then it still don't look quit right.

Last edited by TripBlue; July 4th, 2004 at 12:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chill, like TripBlue says, nothing is wrong with your box. If you look around your room for a bit, you'll rarely see any 90 degree angles. You just need to experiment with the vanishing points until it looks closer to something the eye would see. At the moment you have the vanishing points set up quite close, which looks more dramatic than natural. The walking frame on the left might look better in two point perspective as well, but it looks ok as it is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks fine, though if you really want the angle of the botton corner to be exactly 90º, you could draw that out first, then carry on the lines until your vanishing points join.

Sorry, I didn't explain that very well, hehe. ^_^;; Here's a quick diagram:
    *Not drawn to scale*

Sorry about the wobblyness, heh.

Website | Blog | Sketchbook

UK Sketch Group (FaceBook) - Check here for details on upcoming meets!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thx for the feedback

Thx for the feedback guys!

TripBlue: I know in perspective 90 degree angles are not 90 degree, I meant that it should be 90 degree not in perspective, if you can understand my gogling. About the walking frame, what is one point perspective, is it that the other vp goes out off the paper and you have to draw without it or something else?

pissant: So that's what my problem was, now that you say it really looks like it's a bit too close. About the walk frame, to get it in 2 points perspective, you mean I should get the other vp back to the paper by turning or something else?

Quicksilver: Thx for the process, I'll try it with my next box like thing I draw.

Again thx for the Feedback, I think I leave the box as it is, and finish this picture by adding random things, it's meant to be a practice for perspective, I'll post progress in this thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The progress

Ok so here is the progress I made, I finished the box, so it now looks like a box, and added a road and a house. (The road is a bycicle road, becouse it's to narrow). Now I can really see that the walk frame looks kinda odd, related to the other things in the pic.
    And again, I really appriciate crits&comms!

P.S.: I'll change the walk frame, don't know how, but I'll change it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One point perspective is where everything converging to the same point. Think looking down long hall way, where everything gets smaller and smaller. I wish I can post examples for you..err but I still haven't quit figure out how to post pictures yet..sorry. Hope my explanation helped.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TripBlue
    Nothing is wrong with that box. Perspective suppose to look like that, not always have 90 degree angles.
    I know you're trying to be helpful, but there is something fundamentally wrong with it, and it's a common mistake. If the actual object has 90º corners, then that front corner in perspective has to have an angle greater than 90º. The problem is that the vanishing ponts are placed too close together, making the circle of view smaller than the picture plane. At least one of them has to be well outside the picture to avoid this kind of distortion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing it out. Sorry qzole for giving inaccurate advice. :doh:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the front box is drawn outside of the cone of vision. thats why it has the weird distortion. plus the sides are not converging fast enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, after reading other people's replies, I decided to do some research on my own. and I discover this. Hope this helps you qzole

http://www.lateralscience.co.uk/perspective/cone.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Getting the things together

Ok, So first of all thx again for the c&c, and Tripblue thx for the great site!

I won't continue that pic I started, becouse everything is distorted and such, so it's easier to start over.

I read trhough your replies, and studied the site that Tripblue showed us.
    And now I think I got it quite right, so I made a small summary for myself so I can se that I understand well.

So in perspective all parlel lines meet in one point (vanishing point (vp)) and this point is on the eye lvl (horizont). So if we want to draw a box like thing, we need 2 vp, becouse all the vertical liner remain vertical in perspective(normally). This was what I knew alredy.

So what do we need to get those boxes, not distorted? An eye point, and we can place this at any highness in the central vertical line, and the closer this eye point is to the eye lvl the closer the viewer to the object(s), so the smaller the circle of vision is.
    We have to draw a 90° angle from this point to the eye level, and these to points will be the 2 vanishingpoints of the box we want to draw.
    I experimented with this and made a pic, and from the expirience from this pic, I would say that things won't get distorted if they stay in these 2 lines

Black lines - horizont, eye point, guidelines for vanishing points (A, B).
    Grey lines - Two boxes drew between their guidlines of vp, looks correct.
    Red lines - Two boxes drew not between their guidlines of vp, looks distorted.

A box drew between the guidlines of vp A, but outside the guidlines of vp B, it is distorted

I just understood how to get the circle of view in it's place, but I didn't made anything with it yet, but tried to put it over the 1st image and the dark grey box was outside of it, although I think it looks correct, so I think I'll experiment with it a little further.

And I was thinking of one point perspective, and now I know it for sure, that it's a special case of the 2 point perspective.
    It occurs when one of you vp is the central point, so it's justabove the eye point, and becouse of this if we would try to draw a 90° angle we wouldn't get the other vp becouse the line would be parlel with the horizont. So every line that should be drawn acoording to the other vp, we have to draw it horizontally.

The green lines should go to the other vp, but becouse there is no such thing, they are parlrl with the horizont.

That's why my walking frame looked odd, it's vp was neer the middle, but not there, so I should have used another vp, wich should be way off from the paper.

Whew, perspective isn't so easy that I thought first, but It'll be good once I know it inside-out. If I said something that isn't correct then point it out, pls.
    Thx again for the replies, and I thank you in advence for further c&c

P.S.: Pictures could not show becouse of some problem with the site where my pictures, are. If this occurs, come back later, they should be up sometime.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm, no replys? Maybe I really got it right this time.
    Anyway I finished my practice with the perspective, and the walking frame still looks odd, becouse it's out of circle of view, I think.

So here is the pic:

And one withe the circle of view:

I think there are no other problems, exept the walking frame, and that the windows were made quickly, so some of them are not the same size.
    If anything else shouldn't look like this, then pls say it.
    Thx for c&c in advance!

P.S.: sorry for the quality, I don't have a scanner, so I only use a digital camera.

Members who have read this thread: 2