Water Girl
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Water Girl

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Water Girl

So, I've been a long time lurker: not good enough to critique, but an admirer of this community's work. I think I'm ready for alittle critique myself.

So, these are two antagonists in a story I'm toying with. When I described one of them to my friend as someone w/ a water whip, I thought it sounded dumb. So, I decided a picture would work better than my words.

I originally intended to do this with my usual B&W line art, but decided to expand my horizons alittle and give the finished product a more painted look. There are some things I obviously need practice on.. like hands, shoes, clouds, and cityscape. But there are other things that I know are off, but can't put a finger on how to improve:

Shading: as bad as the girl's face looks, it was worse

Line weight: Some parts of the elements blend into other parts, but if I was to increase the line weight on say the scaffolding, would I have to make the line weight on the characters super thick?

Water whip: Sometimes I look at it, and it doesn't even look like water to me.. but not sure what's missing.

I'm sure there are other things to add to the list. Would love to hear you guys' suggestions.

Each piece was done separately on a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, then later combined and touched up in Photoshop on my laptop.

Name:  Huang-and-Yifeng-roof_web.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  176.2 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The biggest problem for me is that the values should be more organized. The picture lacks depth because you have the same amount of contrast everywhere. Learn air perspective and to achieve depth with values in general. Doing photo and life studies help with that.

You have a very difficult lighting setup if the water whip is a light source. The face of the girl seems to receive light from that but the pipes don't. It may be hard to fix this painting but in general, try to be more consistent with lighting.

You've tried to tackle a difficult subject but the perspective looks mostly good and I kind of like the swirly effect on the whip! Just draw and paint more from reference to improve with values.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by smuli View Post
    The biggest problem for me is that the values should be more organized. The picture lacks depth because you have the same amount of contrast everywhere. Learn air perspective and to achieve depth with values in general. Doing photo and life studies help with that.

You have a very difficult lighting setup if the water whip is a light source. The face of the girl seems to receive light from that but the pipes don't. It may be hard to fix this painting but in general, try to be more consistent with lighting.

You've tried to tackle a difficult subject but the perspective looks mostly good and I kind of like the swirly effect on the whip! Just draw and paint more from reference to improve with values.
    I didn't think about adjusting contrast. I'm assuming we lower contrast the further an object is away, right? The lighting was very tricky for me especially with the water, and by the end of the drawing I really wasn't sure where the light should be coming from. Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's right about contrast, objects far away go towards light grey or blue so that shadows are affected most.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing!
    From textures to coloring to effects everything looks perfectly enchanting to me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by smuli View Post
    That's right about contrast, objects far away go towards light grey or blue so that shadows are affected most.
    Thanks. And I think this will solve my line weight problem, too. For objects way out at a distance, I'll use different shades/values instead of lines.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron2 View Post
    Amazing!
    From textures to coloring to effects everything looks perfectly enchanting to me!
    Ah shucks. Appreciate the complement, man =)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.