Art: 2d Animation, I make the keyframes and then frames in between
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 2d Animation, I make the keyframes and then frames in between

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2d Animation, I make the keyframes and then frames in between

Hi, Im just wondering if this technique is OK or not. I animate keyframes, or basically when one motion starts or ends (dont know if that is really a keyframe but OK) and then I draw the frame directly between those frames, and then between the key and middle, etc. I do this so I can more accurately get a clean movement, and I'm just wondering if this is OK...

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's no wrong process to go about animation (or ANY kind of art). Just as long as it works. And some work better than others depending on the intention and situation.

Last edited by Psychotime; December 4th, 2012 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should really buy the Animator's Survival Guide. What you're doing is called pose to pose animation. It's by far the most common way of doing 2d animation. The alternative, drawing every frame in order, does have some advantages, but can very, very easily result in a total mess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most animators I know do a combination of the two methods. Glenn Keane will often do a straight-ahead version to capture energy and ideas, and then do a pose-to-pose version over that. Other animators do nothing put pose-to-pose, but will do straight ahead for overlap, like tails, hair, and cloth. Effects animators (water, smoke, fire) do almost exclusively straight ahead, with maybe a few concept drawings to guide composition and style.

It depends on your preference and what the scene requires. And of course, if the result looks good no one cares how you do it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Melete For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The important thing to know about the method you're using is the keys can be any major part of the motion- not necessarily the middle or end- just pieces you think are important or show the acting best.
    Also, the inbetweens don't need to be halves - The animator survival guide does a good example of explaining key favors, thirds, and all the things inbetween.

I use the pose to pose method, even when working on FX - because tv fx usually call for cycles- and cycling something straight ahead is hard on my brain.

Members who have read this thread: 1