Gigantic wall hanging
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Gigantic wall hanging

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gigantic wall hanging

Something I've been working on. It's an abstract, realistic something or other. I am just stuck on how to push it further. Any suggestions?

Please ignore the palette blobs.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What references are you using for the figures?How much planning have you done with thumbnails?What exactly are they doing?

Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not using references. Here's my irritating dilemma. I don't want to use anything online because I don't want to get in trouble. Even if photographer's give you the green light with their photo's, you still have to credit them. I don't have a digital camera either. I also don't know anybody that's...*ahem*...thin to pose for me. They are just...posing. Nothing to exciting. Not an action scene or a love scene. No story other than 3 naked girls posing. Like a more interesting version of 3 models, except they're all white. (little modeling joke)

I did a fair amount of planning. I also did a lot of changing as I progressed into this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing difficult about crediting the photographer,also I would point you in the direction of this sticky,http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ence-correctly

Last edited by Artimatum; December 4th, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the link. Honestly doesn't really help me with pushing this further though. Is their anatomy really that bad that no one's commenting on it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How close to finished is this? How big were you planning on printing it? How long have you been working on this?

I'll give you a few crits, but bear in mind that I'm no anatomy master myself, so someone else can probably point out a few things that I've missed.

1. The face of the top left girl makes no sense. Her ear is squeezed in an impossible way and she has weird alien-like slit eyes.

2. Push your values and try to go darker with your darks.

3. I can only see hints of muscle tissue on the top girl's arm. Most humans have muscles, no matter how skinny they are. If they're super skinny they still have bones.

4. The two top girls' necks don't properly connect to their bodies.

5. That creamy white line running all over is quite distracting at the moment. Maybe wait with it till you have the anatomy nailed.

6. The intertangling arms of the two top girls are confusing me. They just disappear and then reappear for no reason.

I could probably nit-pick some more, but honestly, I'd just ditch this and start over with proper thumbnails and sketches. It just isn't working at the moment.
    Believe me, I've been in the same situation. I posted a painting of some naked females here in the crit-section myself and it got absolutely ripped to pieces. But they were all right though, I just couldn't see it myself until someone pointed it out to me. I realized it had gone too far to save and ditched it all together.
    Best of luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tip: use references. they are a must to get the proportions and anatomy right. deviantart's stock section is a repository of raw stock for artists, the only thing you have to do is to read their stock rules in their journals and pick the stuff of those folks who are corteous to allow the use of their images outside of da.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's reference where the finished painting is very close to the reference photo, and then there's the sort of reference where you do a Google images search and pull up a dozen photos that aren't very close to your idea, but help you render hair and skin and measure proportions and just generally remind you what a naked lady looks like. I use the second kind of reference a lot and highly recommend it.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.