Medieval weaponry and character designs
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Medieval weaponry and character designs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Medieval weaponry and character designs

Some Medieval weaponry that I drew out in Photoshop with Wacom Intuos3. I just need to add a little more detail.

Unfinished illustrations of finished character designs I have.

Knight of Kool.

A Princess and Knight.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the realism and reflection on the top shield. My suggestion is take it up another notch maybe add old fashion war crest or brass fasteners to it. Otherwise it will remain generic shield. On the battle field it helps to know which side the soldiers are on. For battle damage you could also add visible chips to the side if you wish, nothing over the top with chips or scratches or the weapon/shield will most likely be discarded or already repaired.

Study actually weapon designs or garden tools to help with the balance and construction. The short sword could use a wrap for comfort and also counter weight on the bottom.

For the figures, they look like cute anime style though they seem stretched out for the style. For the girl. She should be gripping the weapon/wand or it will fall from her hand. Her other sleeve should be showing her hand. I would lower the ribbon a bit more, other wise it will look like unintended wings... The male's skin is gray...you might want to have normal flesh tones? Hope this helps. Looking good.

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed with Pigeonkill, actually research real weapons. There's nothing that says "medieval" in the characters (and the helmets and weaponry don't really seem to fit the character's modern-ish clothes in my opinion and the "princess" looks like generic anime mage) and the swords are very generic "swords" that don't seem to have anything to do with what real swords look like or have much character of their own.

Last edited by TinyBird; December 22nd, 2012 at 05:08 PM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That last one is a digital image. You can make the canvas as big as you want. So... why is the guy squished up against the right side with all that space on the left? And why did you leave no room for feet?

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I first saw the knight, I thought the pose was something like this:

I think the reason I saw that first is because 1: his buckler thing is where I expected the head to be within the silhouette (owing to the distribution of the weight on his feet) and 2: it's also the point of highest contrast.

His arm and hand also get lost in the black of the flaying coat which makes it a bit hard to read at first.

Also, it seems to me that maybe you could switch which leg is bearing the weight to give a bit more sense of balance.

Here's a quick suggestion which might make the silhouette a bit clearer and more natural:

It's a nifty design, though. Hope that helps!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.