Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    I think you have the same view like I did when I first started drawing, the basic thing I thought was the more I drew the better I would get, as that is true in many ways there are shortcuts to getting good.
    By applying general understandment of the subject you're trying to paint you can acchieve good results in a faster amount of time.
    For example, instead of painting thousands of portraits of people, go and study the anatomy of the skull down to the skeleton, learn the names of various muscles etc.

You seem to learn pretty much about colors, that's a good thing. Remember, when you're doing a study, think about why it is like that, why are the colors like they are and so on.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to telohs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Still working on the master study above, kinda stuck with it, likeness is something im not achieving!

Couple of portraits! Working on more, and studying Lumis along side !

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Edit: Ooh! I have a second page

Thanks for the feedback telohs, i'm gonna study lumis in depth now, and structure of the face and anatomy, so hopefully i get it down! Yeah i'm trying, i have many books on the matter (colour and light among many others), which i am working through! Thanks for the feedback again

Thanks
    Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Just couple of things i've done today, finished my master study portrait. Learned a lot about subsurface scattering and stuff. I then went onto an environment master study, i was just looking at the colour palette and the composition more than anything. I also have been doing bridgeman studies on the arms, so i had a few goes at drawing arms from reference. Just still learning to break down shapes.

Thanks
    Working on some game concepts at the moment, creating a game with some friends But i'm not gonna post those on here, it's rather cartoony in style.

Here's a concept i painted this morning though. First go at texturing, i think it's made the image look flat Any advice?

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Some more environment studies woke up at 4am and just needed to draw ahaha!

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Something a bit different next, did a quick UI design for a concept of a game we came up in class. Kinda like it

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

EDIT: From looking at this post, i can definitely tell something i need to work on is buildings within my environments! They are definitely not good!
    Last edited by Katastrophi; January 17th, 2013 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks
    Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Couldn't sleep again! So done a perspective study, (doesn't work without the line work but thats not the point of the study). Also, i love cliff's in the sea so hence the pillars also was doing a little bit more perspective work and understanding of the photographs along with it.

Thanks
    Did a speed painting of a hippo for a competition too, 80minute paint.

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

EDIT: Also, let me know what you think about the new image sizes? Too big?
    Last edited by Katastrophi; January 23rd, 2013 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks
    Been doing a few value studies over past few days trying to work with form an bring out values to give the 3D effect to my work.

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Again need to improve my man made. I did the two above this morning. One was done with accuracy, setting up perspective grids and doing linework to match then painting. But i gave up at around 2 hours in because it was not looking good. Then i moved on to doing more loose work and i think it worked way better for me to do it this way. Let me know what you think!

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Some more colour environment studies Trying to get more and more man made in with this stuff.

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Study from life, kinda happy with this, glass is apparently hard to paint!

Thanks
    Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Quick study, maybe 90 minutes.

Katastrophi's Sketchbook
    WIPs, trying to get some portraits done but they really aint looking great any advice? Or just keep it it really?

Thanks
    Love the flying owl! Realistic, and the colors are nice and warm. Your last posemaniacs are doing great. The farm animals, and environments are my favs.

Thanks
    @Mepainter - Thanks very much! I need to keep those pose studies up, not done any for a little while. Glad you like the owl i sent that off to a competition not heard back from them yet but fingers crossed

Really not had all that much time this week working on stuff for university (level designs and 3D stuff). Did a quick environment study of a photograph i took. I've been keeping up my Loomis portrait studies i think they're picking up, they took varying from 2 hours to 10 minutes.

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Katastrophi's Sketchbook
    Last edited by Katastrophi; January 29th, 2013 at 10:11 AM.

Thanks
    Making leaps and bounds with these. Here's a self portrait i've done

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Gonna do some improvement thing along side my normal studies, just try and get myself out of my comfort zone. I've got a lot on at the moment, but I like it that way! So let's pile on more work!
    The challenge can be found here > http://pencilcat.tumblr.com/post/274...ment-challenge <

Thanks
    I can already see some big improvements from page 1! Your environments are pretty strong right now, but I feel like they could use some more chaos...more texture and motion and life and stuff. I would recommend checking out this guy's sketchbook.
    Faces definitely have some proportion issues...I'm struggling with the same thing right about now...your values look pretty good though.

Thanks
    @Aether Technician - Thanks man! Yeah really feel like i'm getting somewhere, can't believe it's only been 7 months since i decided to start drawing, really come on and enjoying it! Yeah, some features are a bit off but i think the overall stuff as a whole is not to bad! I've tried out a few different texture brushed but i'm not sure how to go about it. Maybe i'll go back to it try and add that much needed texture! Thanks for the feedback!

Day 2 of the challenge, painted a figure from reference

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Also did a little hour study for a competition on dA

Katastrophi's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Wow, your portraits are really improving, the practice is definitely paying off. Be sure to look at the soft and hard edges carefully - the places where the values change. Thinking about where the values transition softly - in a blurry way - and where they have sharp edges really helps with gaining a more realistic feel to a picture. Other than that, your environments are coming along nicely, the looser feel adds a bit of life to them, and you have some good colour choices.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast