Name:  creepy dude.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  139.2 KBName:  vis.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  149.9 KBName:  Vismaya.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  145.2 KB

Hello good people...

These are some of the characters i have created for my own personal project. I do know that there is little or no action or movement in these. I did them to clarify the design in my mind more than to establish a scene. I do plan on doing scenes but not now. I would love to get some crits on these... Anatomy issues, foreshortening, color, lighting??? All of them and more...Please help...

Thank you and have a great day.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Likes his ladies with a bit of meat on their bones; I like that in an illustrator.

Hands and feet (but I'm sure you knew that). These are well-finished and a bit ambitious. Just...do a lot more of this, I guess.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Likes his ladies with a bit of meat on their bones; I like that in an illustrator.

Hands and feet (but I'm sure you knew that). These are well-finished and a bit ambitious. Just...do a lot more of this, I guess.

Haha... Thank you... That made my day... As for the hands and the feet..yeah...i kinda forgot to finish them...Bizarree... i kinda was putting that out for last but forgot i guess... i'll work on that.. Is there anything else i could do perhaps..design wise... Does it look interesting or is it like just people staring somewhere???

Thanks
    Anyone? Please....

Thanks
    All of them seem to have a pose and environment that fits the design of the characters, and the outfits on the two last ones especially look really good!

The backgrounds look good for portrait backgrounds but on the characters, you seem to have used the same type of clean rendering in every part. Maybe leaving the brushwork a bit more loose on parts you don't want the viewer to focus on, soft edges on some of the shadows and bits of texture on points of interest could've been used to lead the eye. I really recommend drawing lots and lots of hands from reference, they're your weakest point at the moment.

All in all though, really good looking portraits!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smuli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Gautham,

I did 2 small changes to the first 2 that I thought would make them a little better. For the creepy dude, I angled his front foot slightly outwards. And for the second, I thought she could use a bit of softening around the breasts, left leg, and left arm. Just a tad. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Spivak000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smuli View Post
    All of them seem to have a pose and environment that fits the design of the characters, and the outfits on the two last ones especially look really good!

The backgrounds look good for portrait backgrounds but on the characters, you seem to have used the same type of clean rendering in every part. Maybe leaving the brushwork a bit more loose on parts you don't want the viewer to focus on, soft edges on some of the shadows and bits of texture on points of interest could've been used to lead the eye. I really recommend drawing lots and lots of hands from reference, they're your weakest point at the moment.

All in all though, really good looking portraits!
    Hi Smuli

Thank you for the feedback...

I do see what you're saying... It is too clean all around... I guess i must have really went around a lot more with the hard brush over the soft brushwork done initially....thank you..i really kind of missed that...As for the hands..yeah....they are like in an extremely pitiful state..I do have to work a lot on anatomy...I'll do some studies for hands and feet...Although i feel like i could have actually pushed the design for the characters a bit more...small stuff like the hair bands, bangles etc...just to make the characters more iconic..at least that's what i am hoping for...but again thanks for your inputs..i'll work on the hands and feet right away..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spivak000 View Post
    Gautham,

I did 2 small changes to the first 2 that I thought would make them a little better. For the creepy dude, I angled his front foot slightly outwards. And for the second, I thought she could use a bit of softening around the breasts, left leg, and left arm. Just a tad. What do you think?
    Hi Jerry

Thank you for taking the time to edit the painting..i really do appreciate it.. I was just checking out the before and after effects...First, the woman. I see that by darkening the shadows all around, the forms are being defined more clearly..especially the left leg and the hand... I was just thinking about softening the edges on the left leg a bit after reading samuli's crits. As for her breasts i see that you have applied a lighter shade on the bottom part of her left breast. Will that area receive that much light? Also do you think i should show her feet instead of putting it in water? At least show the feet through the water...Or will that just make the piece very busy? too many details....

As for the creepy dude, the leg looks much better now...actually now looking at my painting, i do see that his feet was looking pretty uncomfortable..also i see you have upped the contrast a lot...do you feel like i should darken the shadows more in my image? I do have a problem with letting go in my paintings...i guess i am actually afraid of just losing a part of my image even if its for the betterment of the overall piece...

Looking forward to your feedback...

Have a great day
    Gautham

Thanks
    Gautham,

I'm terribly sorry, but the images I posted don't quite reflect the changes I made. I may have saved them incorrectly and then didn't check the post afterwards.

So actually, on the woman, I was thinking that the shadows could be softened a bit all around. Yes like Samuli's crit. Just to add a bit more femininity to her. Check out some WILLIAM BOUGUEREAU paintings on the web (there are lots of them) to get a sense of really good shadow softening on the female form. The upped contrast on the creepy dude is a mistake. Sorry for that. He has good values to my eyes the way you had it, its just that front foot I was worried about. Usually feet angle slightly outwards from the kneecap, unless they are bent sideways at the ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gautham View Post
    Hi Jerry

Thank you for taking the time to edit the painting..i really do appreciate it.. I was just checking out the before and after effects...First, the woman. I see that by darkening the shadows all around, the forms are being defined more clearly..especially the left leg and the hand... I was just thinking about softening the edges on the left leg a bit after reading samuli's crits. As for her breasts i see that you have applied a lighter shade on the bottom part of her left breast. Will that area receive that much light? Also do you think i should show her feet instead of putting it in water? At least show the feet through the water...Or will that just make the piece very busy? too many details....

As for the creepy dude, the leg looks much better now...actually now looking at my painting, i do see that his feet was looking pretty uncomfortable..also i see you have upped the contrast a lot...do you feel like i should darken the shadows more in my image? I do have a problem with letting go in my paintings...i guess i am actually afraid of just losing a part of my image even if its for the betterment of the overall piece...

Looking forward to your feedback...

Have a great day
    Gautham
    Last edited by Spivak000; December 7th, 2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: mistakes

Thanks
    Ah.... cool...its fine... and i agree...Bougereau would be perfect actually... i am working on the woman as i type this.. will upload the updated one soon. thank you again...

Thanks
    Name:  undead warrior dudes.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  450.4 KB

work done a couple of months ago...nowhere near completion...would love some critique... These characters are basically undead guardians of an ancient civilization ruin...a temple of sorts...they follow their general, Yama who is the death god. please give me tips to improve it and make it more interesting.

Thanks
    anyone? please help....in dire...neee...dd

Thanks
    One thing I would change, is that crab arm, it just doesn't seem to fit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast