Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Crits needed

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts

    Crits needed

    Name:  creepy dude.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  139.2 KBName:  vis.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  149.9 KBName:  Vismaya.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  145.2 KB




    Hello good people...



    These are some of the characters i have created for my own personal project. I do know that there is little or no action or movement in these. I did them to clarify the design in my mind more than to establish a scene. I do plan on doing scenes but not now. I would love to get some crits on these... Anatomy issues, foreshortening, color, lighting??? All of them and more...Please help...


    Thank you and have a great day.


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 747 Posts
    Likes his ladies with a bit of meat on their bones; I like that in an illustrator.

    Hands and feet (but I'm sure you knew that). These are well-finished and a bit ambitious. Just...do a lot more of this, I guess.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Likes his ladies with a bit of meat on their bones; I like that in an illustrator.

    Hands and feet (but I'm sure you knew that). These are well-finished and a bit ambitious. Just...do a lot more of this, I guess.

    Haha... Thank you... That made my day... As for the hands and the feet..yeah...i kinda forgot to finish them...Bizarree... i kinda was putting that out for last but forgot i guess... i'll work on that.. Is there anything else i could do perhaps..design wise... Does it look interesting or is it like just people staring somewhere???

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Anyone? Please....

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,308
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 319 Times in 242 Posts
    All of them seem to have a pose and environment that fits the design of the characters, and the outfits on the two last ones especially look really good!

    The backgrounds look good for portrait backgrounds but on the characters, you seem to have used the same type of clean rendering in every part. Maybe leaving the brushwork a bit more loose on parts you don't want the viewer to focus on, soft edges on some of the shadows and bits of texture on points of interest could've been used to lead the eye. I really recommend drawing lots and lots of hands from reference, they're your weakest point at the moment.

    All in all though, really good looking portraits!

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to smuli For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    271
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 62 Times in 42 Posts
    Gautham,

    I did 2 small changes to the first 2 that I thought would make them a little better. For the creepy dude, I angled his front foot slightly outwards. And for the second, I thought she could use a bit of softening around the breasts, left leg, and left arm. Just a tad. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Spivak000 For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smuli View Post
    All of them seem to have a pose and environment that fits the design of the characters, and the outfits on the two last ones especially look really good!

    The backgrounds look good for portrait backgrounds but on the characters, you seem to have used the same type of clean rendering in every part. Maybe leaving the brushwork a bit more loose on parts you don't want the viewer to focus on, soft edges on some of the shadows and bits of texture on points of interest could've been used to lead the eye. I really recommend drawing lots and lots of hands from reference, they're your weakest point at the moment.

    All in all though, really good looking portraits!
    Hi Smuli


    Thank you for the feedback...

    I do see what you're saying... It is too clean all around... I guess i must have really went around a lot more with the hard brush over the soft brushwork done initially....thank you..i really kind of missed that...As for the hands..yeah....they are like in an extremely pitiful state..I do have to work a lot on anatomy...I'll do some studies for hands and feet...Although i feel like i could have actually pushed the design for the characters a bit more...small stuff like the hair bands, bangles etc...just to make the characters more iconic..at least that's what i am hoping for...but again thanks for your inputs..i'll work on the hands and feet right away..

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spivak000 View Post
    Gautham,

    I did 2 small changes to the first 2 that I thought would make them a little better. For the creepy dude, I angled his front foot slightly outwards. And for the second, I thought she could use a bit of softening around the breasts, left leg, and left arm. Just a tad. What do you think?
    Hi Jerry

    Thank you for taking the time to edit the painting..i really do appreciate it.. I was just checking out the before and after effects...First, the woman. I see that by darkening the shadows all around, the forms are being defined more clearly..especially the left leg and the hand... I was just thinking about softening the edges on the left leg a bit after reading samuli's crits. As for her breasts i see that you have applied a lighter shade on the bottom part of her left breast. Will that area receive that much light? Also do you think i should show her feet instead of putting it in water? At least show the feet through the water...Or will that just make the piece very busy? too many details....

    As for the creepy dude, the leg looks much better now...actually now looking at my painting, i do see that his feet was looking pretty uncomfortable..also i see you have upped the contrast a lot...do you feel like i should darken the shadows more in my image? I do have a problem with letting go in my paintings...i guess i am actually afraid of just losing a part of my image even if its for the betterment of the overall piece...


    Looking forward to your feedback...

    Have a great day
    Gautham

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    271
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 62 Times in 42 Posts
    Gautham,

    I'm terribly sorry, but the images I posted don't quite reflect the changes I made. I may have saved them incorrectly and then didn't check the post afterwards.

    So actually, on the woman, I was thinking that the shadows could be softened a bit all around. Yes like Samuli's crit. Just to add a bit more femininity to her. Check out some WILLIAM BOUGUEREAU paintings on the web (there are lots of them) to get a sense of really good shadow softening on the female form. The upped contrast on the creepy dude is a mistake. Sorry for that. He has good values to my eyes the way you had it, its just that front foot I was worried about. Usually feet angle slightly outwards from the kneecap, unless they are bent sideways at the ankle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gautham View Post
    Hi Jerry

    Thank you for taking the time to edit the painting..i really do appreciate it.. I was just checking out the before and after effects...First, the woman. I see that by darkening the shadows all around, the forms are being defined more clearly..especially the left leg and the hand... I was just thinking about softening the edges on the left leg a bit after reading samuli's crits. As for her breasts i see that you have applied a lighter shade on the bottom part of her left breast. Will that area receive that much light? Also do you think i should show her feet instead of putting it in water? At least show the feet through the water...Or will that just make the piece very busy? too many details....

    As for the creepy dude, the leg looks much better now...actually now looking at my painting, i do see that his feet was looking pretty uncomfortable..also i see you have upped the contrast a lot...do you feel like i should darken the shadows more in my image? I do have a problem with letting go in my paintings...i guess i am actually afraid of just losing a part of my image even if its for the betterment of the overall piece...


    Looking forward to your feedback...

    Have a great day
    Gautham
    Last edited by Spivak000; December 7th, 2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: mistakes

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Ah.... cool...its fine... and i agree...Bougereau would be perfect actually... i am working on the woman as i type this.. will upload the updated one soon. thank you again...

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Name:  undead warrior dudes.jpg
Views: 3160
Size:  450.4 KB



    work done a couple of months ago...nowhere near completion...would love some critique... These characters are basically undead guardians of an ancient civilization ruin...a temple of sorts...they follow their general, Yama who is the death god. please give me tips to improve it and make it more interesting.

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    anyone? please help....in dire...neee...dd

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    945
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked 125 Times in 122 Posts
    One thing I would change, is that crab arm, it just doesn't seem to fit.

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,924
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 825 Times in 678 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautham View Post
    anyone? please help....in dire...neee...dd
    The best advice I can give you here is that you should slow down and follow the canonical procedure of illustration: 1) find some reference photos for anatomy, pose, textures, and lighting (OK, it looks like you sort of did that on the image of the woman standing in the water), 2) do a tight line drawing to establish the contours, and 3) render the forms with an eye toward using "light" and "shadow" areas to create a 3D feel. Right now you're not doing any of that--you're just gobbing down paint (or pixels) and it's impossible to offer any meaningful critique of the end product.

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
    The best advice I can give you here is that you should slow down and follow the canonical procedure of illustration: 1) find some reference photos for anatomy, pose, textures, and lighting (OK, it looks like you sort of did that on the image of the woman standing in the water), 2) do a tight line drawing to establish the contours, and 3) render the forms with an eye toward using "light" and "shadow" areas to create a 3D feel. Right now you're not doing any of that--you're just gobbing down paint (or pixels) and it's impossible to offer any meaningful critique of the end product.

    Hi Giacomo

    Thank you for the input. But could you please expand a bit on what i have to do. About the line drawing which you referred to me, i usually start with shapes rather than putting down lines. Is that wrong or like.. will it hamper the process? Or does it specifically make up for something that is lacking in my work? And please expand on the 3rd point.


    Thank You
    Have a great day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Crits needed - EAT ME! :P
    By Noukah in forum Art Critique Center
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: September 17th, 2009, 01:28 PM
  2. Crits needed
    By Kailaan in forum Art Critique Center
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 10th, 2008, 01:37 AM
  3. Crits needed
    By Ian J in forum Art Critique Center
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: May 15th, 2008, 09:09 AM
  4. Crits needed... ><
    By nettachan in forum Art Critique Center
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: January 11th, 2008, 02:01 PM
  5. Crits needed please
    By blackrobin in forum Art Critique Center
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 22nd, 2007, 10:17 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Developed Actively by the makers of the Best Amazon Podcast