Digital Dabblin.

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Digital Dabblin.

Last edited by Marine_Blue; December 7th, 2012 at 05:38 AM.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks good so far, but i cant work out the pose - is he crouched? the main thing id say is that shadows and highlights look just like a brighter or darker version of the base colour, which doesn't happen often in real life. think about what light source youd want and get some references. hope i helped

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This looks like a good start, but you need to pick an area and really work it. It doesn't have to be an overall high degree of finish, but the viewer wants something cool to ogle. The face is the obvious place, but you're also really going to need to sell the twisting of his upper body. You've got that weird knobbly belly and that ninety degree twist, tell me how that works, please (with paint, don't actually tell me).

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your comments.

Yes he is crouched, I was hoping to portray the fact that his natural position was on all 4's and this was effectively a rearing up to observe prey for example. It is daylight with the main light from the top left with a strong reflective light on the right, the objective being a complete drawing/illustration rather than one obscured in darkness. I feel there is enough detail around the head and face which is perhaps not seen as well in a smaller jpeg.

I'm not really sure I agree about the twist issue. His torso is facing one way, his legs the other. The belly is supposed to be heavily protected so the underlying form is not so obvious. I made the flesh fold and crease at the right knee. I looked at crocs and lizards and the skeletal forms are very much padded over with protective layers.

I may work over it and see what I can do, but I think I have had enough with this one for now, I might start something else.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is that related to the first painting? If not, then I'd personally suggest you start a new thread for it. Especially since the thread thumb is the same, people aren't going to know you posted something unrelated unless you show it somehow (but a new thread would still be most simple.)

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Is that related to the first painting? If not, then I'd personally suggest you start a new thread for it. Especially since the thread thumb is the same, people aren't going to know you posted something unrelated unless you show it somehow (but a new thread would still be most simple.)
    OK thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.