Sketchbook: SuperN00b's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SuperN00b's Sketchbook

Hello everyone! My name is Erwin Brown and I am new to art. My goal is to draw like a professional artist. I love comics and anime and I wish I can draw comics, but for now I need help with the very basic stuff, like every day objects and human anatomy. Please help me as much as you can. I deeply appreciate it. Thanks!

Here are some drawings I did today.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    'I need a bigger hammer...'
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I came here from Critique Center and I probably will reply to some posts of yours there. I hope I don't hurt you but I was almost sure you were a troll. You thinking about learning to draw is kind of silly, well, it's no big deal if you are willing and able to change.
    I guess it depends on the person too but learning to draw at a professional level is a very long and hard way. If you are unlucky and lazy like me, you stays a beginner for several years So it's important to do things right (I mean the rough direction, failing is important and unavoidable experince too ). But the main thing is don't give up if you really want to reach this goal of yours. I saw quite a few beginner artists who disappeared, probably gave up after the not very bright start. I saw people not improving for years because they just drew the same effortless things. You need to learn the basics and there's no easy way out. You can spice things up but you need to learn your stuff.

You already got a few good advices. For now, just keep drawing. It's the most important part, keep drawing.

You mentioned you wished to start with stylized figures. Well it doesn't work that way. There are exceptions but artists who draw stylized stuff almost always have a damn good idea of real anatomy and realistic drawing in general. It's quite apparent in good anime too You just see the simple result and might think oh it's so appealing and looks easy, let's learn from it. But it won't happen because you have no idea that the small bump on a very slightly curved line is an important muscle...

And I, for example, think anatomy is much fun. It's just hard and takes extremely much time. But it's wonderful.

Good luck!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are like the second person calling me a troll, and I am really confused now. Usually I would call someone a troll if he flames people on purpose, or if he TK a lot during a match, but I did not expect that term being used here because this is an art forum. I haven't been mean to anyone so why do you guys call me a troll? Is it because you guys think I suck too much to get better? I doubt any of you guys were born awesome so how about cutting me some slack here. If you play HALO or Modern Warfare I can probably beat you but I wouldn't call you a troll because I have more practice.

Anyway, I thank you for the advice but had I known you guys frown upon people with no skills I would have practiced a lot more before I even come here. This place is obviously for advanced people.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just was unsure if you were a troll, I didn't call you one. No it's not being mean! There are trolls who appear to be a beginner but it's all a facade to have fun. It's a nasty thing because they waste others time and good intentions (maybe not totally as others can read their posts and learn from them).
    Being a newbie is perfectly fine (it's a noob, not a troll anyway, I don't think many mixes the two), if someone here on CA thinks low about you just because you are not good enough, ignore them, but it won't happen often. Skills change if you put effort and time into it, and as you wrote, everyone is a newbie at the very beginning. I'm a beginner too, you know, despite my years spending here and I can say this is a nice place, no matter what your skills are. Most people here are very helpful, well I don't say they aren't harsh sometimes, for your own sake. There are exceptions, again, ignore them.

It was just funny/naive to see your 'how can I be awesome quickly' question, you know. It's kind of obvious becoming great isn't easy and quick
    This board saw trolls and oversensitive princesses and whatnot, there's even someone with a unique attitude whose being a troll or not wasn't sure after zillion threads... Don't judge us too hard to have such a thought... Seeing all your posts in the other topic and this sketchbook made me change my mind, that's why I grabbed my keyboard despite it's usually somewhere else because my tablet rules my little desk

Okay, I should shut up and we both should go and draw At least me. I'm quite inactive these days. Next time I plan to be way more concise and useful. Cheers ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Erwin
    for human anatomy are the books from andrew lomis and gottfried bammes a good start.
    nice homepage for ref materials :
    http://lovecastle.org/draw/
    http://artists.pixelovely.com/

and a homepage with tutorials for digital painting:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

now have fun and draw

Blog

Zauselbarts Sketchbook

Looking for a Mentor!
    stop whining, start working

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zauselbart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Instead of drawing all the details in the objects you see, focus on form and seeing through the form:
    http://artandinfluence.blogspot.pt/2...-form.html?m=1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys for the tips!

@Zauselbart, thank you so much for those links, and your recommendation on books. I go to Titan Books's website as suggested, and I made a list of books I will buy. For now, it seems Andrew Loomis' books are the most commonly recommended so I will get those first. I also have in my possession a few artist anatomy book now, and I think I will do some anatomy study. Hopefully in a few years I could draw human bodies without having to use reference.

@shiNIN, I think I understand what you mean. Basically you are saying that because I said I want to become good very quickly, you think I would give up very soon when I find out how hard drawing like a professional is. Don't worry, I won't be a troll and just draw a few sketches then just give up. I do want to have fun, yes, but I would also like to imrpove and reach my goal one day. Thank you for having faith in me, though I know my drawings are not reassuring at all.

@Leonor, thank you for the great advice. I'm going to try draw some basic shapes like a cube or a ball, and see if I could get the "basic" shapes right fist. This "volume" idea is refreshing and looks very helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some tubes I draw today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some cubes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your understanding of basic solid shapes is poor. It should be more like this:
    http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumbla...3285M89369.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    may i give some advice? you can start that basic shape in perspective, using 1 -, 2-, and 3-point perspective, Then move onto drawing rectangular volumes, cylinders, cones, pyramids, etc in these perspectives. This stuff is easy to find in google, this book help me a lot with perspective stuff "Ernest R. Norling - Perspective Made Easy".
    I'm a beginner too but some professional give me this advice, lets draw happily together.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

I am glad to see that you started a sketchbook thread, as you are looking at the fundamentals which is correct and the right thing to do, so with that in mind try these:-

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...n-and-try-some - my thread.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...53#post3163053 - my mate JeffX99, this one is much much better and has more information, start here.

I really hope this helps you out matey, good luck and I hope to see more work from you soon.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Draw every day and never give up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much everyone.

I have been drawing quite a lot today and I feel a bit more comfortable with drawing then before.

Here are more tubes, with the perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're gonna do great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your encouragement, jamsession.

Guys, I have a question. I jut got my books, and I'm just reading through the Andrew Loomis' books, and all I can say at this point is that, well, there is a HUGE quantity of stuff in there, and I'm not sure how to use them. For example, there is a diagram showing you a head that is made of different flat planes. Am I supposed to memorize this diagram? And what about the others, like the proportion chart and stuff. This just seem like a huge load of stuff.

Also, I try to draw an object with the new method. It is a huge eye-opener for me; I honestly think this sketch is by far the best drawing I have ever done in my entire life. It makes so much sense. However, my dad's secretary rained on my parade and told me all my drawings have the tendency of tilting toward the right side... which is true. How could I avoid this? Also, what if I have to draw a room with a lot of stuff in it? Wouldn't I have to use construction line on every object in the room? Wouldn't that take really, really long even if they are just stuff in the background? Please give me some advice, thank you!

Last edited by SuperN00b; December 6th, 2012 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice drawing.Don't be scared about drawing a room with a lot of stuff in it. don't be scared about drawing a room with a lot of stuff in it. I am looking forward to more from you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperN00b View Post
    @shiNIN, I think I understand what you mean. Basically you are saying that because I said I want to become good very quickly, you think I would give up very soon when I find out how hard drawing like a professional is.
    Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but from your Critique Center topic:

hi guys I just got photoshop and I'm starting to draw. I don' think my art is too bad but I wish I can improve .Please let me know how I can become professional the fastest way possible. Tel me which tutorial I should find to become awesome very quickly, thanks!
    If you hang around the Art Discussion or Lounge boards long enough, you'll see some of the vets and pros of CA regularly warn and complain about learning to draw with photoshop; beginners expecting to reach pro level very quickly; and especially beginners asking for that one single trick or tutorial to become awesome.
    All three of those points popping up in the first four lines of your first post seemed like too much of a coincidence, almost as if it was a purposeful and obvious attempt at trolling, and threw some for a loop. (me included )

It looks to me like you've made a leap forward, compared to your first camera drawing at the top of the page. Nice work! I can't say much about your questions - others would have better answers - but I'd suggest searching through the sketchbooks here to find others learning from Loomis' books, and how they do it.

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Vermis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperN00b View Post
    Thank you for your encouragement, jamsession.

Guys, I have a question. I jut got my books, and I'm just reading through the Andrew Loomis' books, and all I can say at this point is that, well, there is a HUGE quantity of stuff in there, and I'm not sure how to use them. For example, there is a diagram showing you a head that is made of different flat planes. Am I supposed to memorize this diagram? And what about the others, like the proportion chart and stuff. This just seem like a huge load of stuff.

Also, I try to draw an object with the new method. It is a huge eye-opener for me; I honestly think this sketch is by far the best drawing I have ever done in my entire life. It makes so much sense. However, my dad's secretary rained on my parade and told me all my drawings have the tendency of tilting toward the right side... which is true. How could I avoid this? Also, what if I have to draw a room with a lot of stuff in it? Wouldn't I have to use construction line on every object in the room? Wouldn't that take really, really long even if they are just stuff in the background? Please give me some advice, thank you!
    You'll memorize diagrams naturally as you practice and draw heads. Try a self-portrait, for instance, trying to find the planes in your own face. There's other methods you can learn, like the Reilley method and the Asaro.

To draw a room with all the stuff you have to learn perspective. But start simpler, by drawing several objects on a table, cups, boxes, eggs, some in front of the others.

There's tutorials in this forum that might help, you might find some on Youtube and DA as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been trying to do objects on a table. Here is one that I think finally come out okay.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.