Sketchbook: Stefmanovic' sketchbook - C&C needed!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stefmanovic' sketchbook - C&C needed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Stefmanovic' sketchbook - C&C needed!

Hi,

This is my first post here so this also kinda functions as my intro here! ;-)

Been working for a while on designing cities using Google Sketchup. Here are some of the results.

Lately I've been playing a bit with different filters/styles of the pictures themselves, which I put in a series named "Steampunk Urbanism".

EDIT: for some reason this forum won't let me post pictures larger than 500kb and since I don't feel like resizing each of the other works I've made, you can check some more closeups of the 9 thumbnails I posted over here

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Stefmanovic; August 3rd, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I'm new here. Been a long time lurker, but decided to finally join in. At the moment I'm working on a personal project called "Steampunk Urbanism" which is kind of a combination between steampunk/dieselpunk and urban design.

The idea behind these series kind of came from another passion of mine, writing. I'm working on a collection of short stories (each around 1000 words max), each totally separate but connecting to each other, creating a setting. The pictures were originally meant to support those stories, but I'm getting the feeling that it has turned the other way around...

LINK

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Stefmanovic; December 3rd, 2012 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the filter works with the images in post #5, but no as much in some of images of post#4. The sketchy lines muddy the geometries when seen from a distance.

So, what direction are you thinking of taking these?

Will you be doing more of the cities as a whole or might you tackle particular building settings, streets, or districts that are settings for the stories?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been a bit in doubt on how to continue with these, I wrote a little reflection on the project here.

I would definitely love to do more cities and would also love to do some more "close up" stuff, so very specific buildings and maybe even interiors. I've been thinking of doing one of the Mega-Ecoria I've been working on (see picture below). This one is very much based on Philip Sibbering's Ecopolis concept. But it takes a bit of rethinking, I want the design of the city to actually work besides only looking cool, which is I think a trap many artists/illustrators seem to fall in, as in that they create stuff that looks really cool but simply doesn't work. Take a look at the design of Games Workshop's Space Marine Terminator, how does the guy even fit in his armor? Or what about the typical cliche of semi naked warrior women who have armored nipples but the rest exposed...

But yeah, back on topic...picture of the city!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man!
    I really like what you're doing!
    I've taken a look at Philip Sibbering's ecopolis site, and its very interesting, i will read it if I find the time
    The building in post #7 reminds me a lot of the architecture in quake 2, oh what a lovely game was that!
    Keep posting, I'm looking forward to see more of you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should really heck up Philip's stuff, it's quite gnarly.

As for the Quake 2 influence, I guess that happened subconsciously. I mean, I was originally inspired by Judge Dredd, but once I got the textures it became its own thing. At the end I too got that Quake feel, almost made me want to reinstall that game on my computer...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't posted in a while, but I'm back!

Been doing some spaceships! First of the two is showing multiple viewing angles of the ship, to give you an idea what it looks like. The other picture is that same ship (well, a slightly previous incarnation of it) moving through an Ecopolis city.

So yeah, there you go...my beginnings! Let me know what you think of it. I'd love to improve!

Name:  concept 6.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  125.9 KB
    Name:  Ship in Ecopolis 1.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  142.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here another tiny update:

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. So far the ship is only armed with torpedos and a wide array of launch bays for fighters, bombers, landers, dropships, and so on.

However, I would imagine it might need some other weapons. And this is where by predicament comes, I'm not too fond of having this whole thing covered in turrets. So what should I do to give it that extra bit of punch?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little update:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hard, but really nice mecha! Keep it up!

sketchbook
    my web Looking for a work

Помогите c активностью форуму-скетчбуку mentalant.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll hope to have the new turrets and a first version of a drop pod ready later this week.

In the meantime...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here are three variants of the Legion Cruiser next to each other. The one on the left is armed with additional lance turrets, enabling it to take out enemy shields from a distance. The middle ship is a military transport ship. The size already enables it to transport entire regiments, including all sorts of support gear. I was first thinking of beefing the ship up some more, but didn't find it too fitting. I might at a later date make a battleship variant which is an even larger transport. But I would imagine normal transport ships (which are already larger) would be civilian ships, not military ones.

The ship on the right is the carrier I've been working on all this time. Not that much changed in it yet.

Note that all the components are still very WIP, the turret component still needs a lot of detailing. The transporter one needs something extra to make it stand out. The prow (single variant at the moment) will need further detailing and torpedo tubes. The engine and the rest of the components need a few thrusters and details before they're ready.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For a while now I've been working on some ships, as you can see above. Apparently the lovely fellows over at Resin Addicts liked it so much that I got a few offers in to have them produce it, I also managed to get a possible 3d modelling commission out of it.

However, high quality 3d printing is expensive. Shapeways doesn't offer the quality I need for this project. This means I have to go elsewhere, which means the rates go up. In order to finance this I'm planning on making separate bits for various wargame models that could either be sold through Shapeways or whatever party wants to print/cast the models.

Here the first of many. It's still a WIP, more details need to be added to it. The blade is a separate part by the way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [INCOMING!!!]

(apologies for the bad quality pictures, I'm not a great photographer)

I must say I'm quite happy with the result, considering this is the cheapest material Shapeways is offering. Most of the details came through, the 0.25mm stuff is almost impossible to see and would get lost after a layer of paint. I would need to update the design in such a way that most 0.25mm stuff is enlarged to 0.5mm, which shouldn't be too difficult (a few exceptions here and there).

Another major flaw in my design was that I didn't leave enough 'moving space' for the different components, meaning I had to file bits of the plastic to fit the model together. What this means is that the components are now stuck to each other, which means you don't need glue to put them together (!!!), but the major downside is that you can take them apart. I liked the idea that players could constantly replace components of their ships, kind of like how I imagined the Legion ships to work in the setting as well. So that's another thing I need to tweak in the next version.

I noticed that the details of the turrets didn't fully come through, whilst not a major problem, I'll try to tweak the design slightly to see if it's still possible to do that.

All in all, I'm satisfied with the result, knowing that my design was too far off. Some fixing will be needed, but then it should be good enough to be printed in a better material so it can be cast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So you actually 3D print them! that's impressive...

Anyway: your work gave me a strong feel of the Tokyo 3 stuff in the new Evangelion movies.
    That's quite an accomplishment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So cool you printed your model out, its going to be exciting when that becomes a common thing to do! Loving how detailed your work is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The whole idea of these ships is to print them and use them as models. The smallest details are around 0.25mm, but it's very hard to see them. Furthermore, one layer of paint will most likely make that detail disappear, a second layer of paint is a guarantee for those details being gone.

Need to redesign some of the details to be 0.5mm instead of 0.25mm. The next print will also be in a material like HTM140 since the texture of this print is just too grainy, it looks as if it's made from sugar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's awesome. Thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing more

Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

Eric needs to DRAW DRAW DRAW

Do not Click DETONATE Do not Click

Deviantart page

Gotta sketchem all blog

Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks!

In the past weeks I've been working on some new ships as well which are available on my shop on Shapeways.

As for the ship stuff above, I've updated some of the variant components, one example of a prow variant. The turret variant component of the ship has also been updated, as you can see here. I like the idea that these ships are very modular, users can change components and so create their own types of ships.

In the meantime I've started working on a battleship:

Name:  Battleship 0.3.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  144.9 KB
    Name:  Battleship 0.4.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  147.7 KB

This behemoth is means as a fully self supporting monster of war. At the moment it carries 48 torpedo tubes, 32 small turrets. There will be 20 main weapon batteries (one on each side of the 5 parts of the ship: top, bottom, left, right), launch bays for fighter craft, a potential superweapon on the front and additional small turrets.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    INCOMING!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The boarding pods are ready! I slightly tweaked the previous picture (rotated it 45 degrees for example), since there were some difficulties with preparing it for printing. It's a tiny bugger, about 6.5mm long, 4mm high, and 4mm wide.

Front view:

Back view:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been doing some more work on the battleship, added the big turrets. Do note that the hull will still need a lot of work to make it all work. I've tried to stick to the original concept art as much as possible, but it can become a bit of a challenge, especially since I want both the ability to fire all turrets in the same direction (depending on which side of the hull you are of course), but not have the heights of the different segments differ too much. Hence, I moved the second components' turrets on the diagonal panels, and added some extra levels to heighten up the turrets on the components closest to the Distortion Engine so they won't hit the turrets on the front if firing forwards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been pondering a bit about bombers, I wouldn't imagine it would 'drop' bombs, makes no sense in zero gravity. But then again, the whole concept of a dogfight in space makes no sense either...

Fighter craft, or rather drones, would be launched from the ship, either with some sort of railgun, or even teleport. Maybe some sort of total conversion field/engine to ensure it can keep on going in a dogfight? But even so, a fighter would make very little sense considering the vast distances it would have to travel. Perhaps their role should be different, purely to provide cover for the boarding pods as the soldiers board the enemy ship. Maybe something more akin to the Sentinels from the Matrix?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 52