P.O.W.! Challenge 66 (A-B-C) Ghosts of (Awesome!) Christmases Past
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: P.O.W.! Challenge 66 (A-B-C) Ghosts of (Awesome!) Christmases Past

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

P.O.W.! Challenge 66 (A-B-C) Ghosts of (Awesome!) Christmases Past

In all P.O.W.! Challenges, you can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color, unless we specifically point out otherwise.

Topic 66A: The Greatest Christmas Action Movie Never Told (Scene)
    So we all know that the Christmas Movies of the 80's (Die Hard, Gremlins et al) were pretty good. The POW! Christmas Movie is like those, but a million times more explosions/tinsel/gratuitous/funny. Draw a scene from your ultimate blockbuster Christmas comic - there can be loads not fully explained, it's a Christmas movie/comic. Bonus points if Santa is the Bad Guy.

Topic 66B: Ghosts of the Past (Theme)
    The Ghosts of the Land are haunting the new occupants - niggling at the conscience of some, annoying others, ignored by many, deadly to a few. Do a POW! where the Ghosts of the Past are coming to communicate with the denizens of the present - do they bring a warning? A blessing? Or revenge! Bonus points (in arbitary points) for scary-looking or apt-looking ghosts.

Topic 66C: Action Santa/Ghost of the Past (Character)
    Design your cigar-chomping, uzi-toting Action Santa from topic A, or the Ghost of the Past from topic B. This time, do a turnaround pic to be considered for entry.

One or All-Deadline: Thursday, January 4th, 2013, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO pages to any practical maximum you wish. Previously, we encouraged standard comic book pages, but it's beyond time to broaden the challenge in P.O.W.! Your pages can be any format, but make sure they line up to the same specs for each page.

Standard comic specs are below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want--just don't get TOO extreme on page counts.

REMEMBER: You don't have to have a complete comic to qualify for polling--if you realize you're running out of time, try to get at least TWO pages finished by the deadline. That's all you need to qualify for polling..

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

.................................................. .............................

Good luck.

To all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges, from the bottom of my heart I thank you. Cheers you guys. P.O.W.! People are the best people.

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

Last edited by donalfall; December 29th, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
    P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First time I've looked into the POW section here and I have a question: what's the difference between a "scene" and a "theme"? And do they both need to be 2-3 pages long?
    Thanks!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr.HarbingerAquarius For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dr. HarbingerAquarius the simple answer is there isn't really any difference. I'm more indicating how I was thinking of the material when I was writing the topic up to help you springboard your ideas. So "Scene" means one scene, to me, where there may not be any lead up, the action might start in media res and when the scene is over, you don't follow the protagonists any further, even though the story might not be finished. Like randomly reading three pages from the middle of a graphic novel. And "Theme" is more of a general idea that connects the whole entry together, where you can tie your story up with the idea. But again, you can ignore the lot too. If the title alone gives you a cool idea, just roll with it.

All POW! entries have to be at least 2 pages, you can make them as long as you want. So 2 - ? pages.

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doing the first one, even though i dont watch alot of action films. Got the story kinda roughed out, heres one of the characters, tho hes not really that important. He will probably show up in 2 panels max. I like him anyway, might change his pattern.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wingal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so um id like to say im back....but i might be not....but i do have some some pencils for the "the hunt" wich i have to scan and upload.... i have also been without internet for 2 months so if the world ended please TWEET ME....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry everyone, as I was saying in another thread, I've been swamped with Christmas Commissions this year for some reason - although making some real money off Art is not the worst thing in the world, let me tell you. I'm finally shot of them all and ready to rock.

I have my little 3-pager done for this POW! but anywhere I would get to scan them are closed - everything that isn't vital closes here for Christmas - and my scanner is busted. So, and I'm sure you can all guess where this is going - I'm going to add a few days on the deadline to give people a chance to post stuff and me a chance to do some scans. New POW! up tomorrow as always, let's put a deadline of.... Thursday? the 3rd on this one.

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry everyone, as I was saying in another thread, I've been swamped with Christmas Commissions this year for some reason - although making some real money off Art is not the worst thing in the world, let me tell you. I'm finally shot of them all and ready to rock.

I have my little 3-pager done for this POW! but anywhere I would get to scan them are closed - everything that isn't vital closes here for Christmas - and my scanner is busted. So, and I'm sure you can all guess where this is going - I'm going to add a few days on the deadline to give people a chance to post stuff and me a chance to do some scans. New POW! up tomorrow as always, let's put a deadline of.... Thursday? the 3rd on this one.

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some phone pics of some panels. There's some weird stuff going on with overlapping display elements on CA, or is it just me? I'll go digging in the technical area and see what's what.

Name:  001 DEC 30.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  232.7 KB

Name:  002 DEC 30.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  220.1 KB

I have to be neater with my word balloons.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dear.drharbingeraquarius that looks friggen awsome i really like rudolf all "bane'd" out the panels where readable there was no point in time where i was like "hey wtf is going on!" SO great job. As far as real feed i'm not qualified. just for the future there is a thread for non-competive or unfinished comics where you able too post late work. although no one's left round these parts to care

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "I don't know... we just build shit" - excellent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THIS IS A REPOST (noticed some spelling mistakes in the original post/comic):

How's it going everyone?

I know this challenge is over, but this summer I had some time to spare and decided to finish couple of old, unfinished projects of mine. This being one of them. I penciled all the pages back in December, started inking as well, but then life got in the way... and then the website went though some changes and stuff...

Anyways, it's done now. And I'd like to present it to you.

It's called "Rudolph the Bane-Nosed Raindeer" and was inspired by Topic 66A: The Greatest Christmas Action Movie Never Told. As well as "The Dark Knight Rises", all that doomsday talk that was going on around that time and seeing Roy "Big Country" Nelson ground'n'punding people in UFC...

Now, I like to think I've come a long way since I drew this, but there's still billions of miles to go, so any criticism regarding angles, perspective, anatomy and whatnot are still very much welcome!

Thanks and hope you enjoy!

P.S. Here's a quick WIP pic:

Members who have read this thread: 6