CHOW#309 :: Life

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  ChowBannerFinal.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  113.3 KB

Character of the Week #309
    LIFE
    Deadline - Sunday, December 9 10PM GMT

We've seen Death be personified a million times. A cloak wearing, Scythe carrying, skeletal figure, ready to take your soul! But have we ever seen Life itself take the form of a character?

What would life look like? How would you even personify the philosophy and the spirit of life? We want to leave the brief a little more open so you can be especially creative with this one, and to think outside the box; really play with the idea. If you have any specific questions about this week's topic, please, feel free to ask.

Remember, follow the guidelines and rules below!

The Guidelines:
    • Must be a materialized being; avoid things like whisps of energy or clouds of breath.
    • It doesn't have to be human, but it should scream 'Life' in all of your design choices.
    • Can be male or female

The Rules
    • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline
    • Final post must include the CHoW number and the artists username at the bottom of the image
    • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible
    • At least two wips posted in the finals thread
    • Background is optional
    • Have fun!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It makes sense to have a pregnant woman depict life but I had a hard time coming up with a symbol for life. The sythe for death makes sense because it's a weapon but what do you use to bring life? So I'll probably go with flowers in her hair and a tree shape somewhere to symbolize life for now-

Name:  Life.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  66.7 KB

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delightful_piffle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I was subconsciously inspired by delightful_piffles's lovely lines.
    Name:  lifefig1.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  208.8 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MasterTroglodyte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sketch

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  171.0 KB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NoShot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some embellishment before bed...
    Name:  lifefig2.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  200.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jName:  (Life) Concept.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  214.3 KBust a few concept sktches
    Gotta choose one of them

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, this might be a bit unorthodox.
    But life- to me- is more of a fearsome warrior than death. If you think about the world we live in, most matter is inanimate. Life is the exception. And it comes at great expense; a constant fight against thirst, hunger, pain and diseases.
    So, if we're talking alegories of life, to me that's a female warrior, a lonesome source of light amongst the inanimate world.

Here's a preliminary concept;

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    Okay, this might be a bit unorthodox.
    But life- to me- is more of a fearsome warrior than death. If you think about the world we live in, most matter is inanimate. Life is the exception. And it comes at great expense; a constant fight against thirst, hunger, pain and diseases.
    So, if we're talking alegories of life, to me that's a female warrior, a lonesome source of light amongst the inanimate world.
    I like your interpretation! looking good so far.

I also want to point out that this is a great example of thinking outside of the box and giving a good explanation for doing so.

Anyway, I decided to jump in on this one since I was a whee bit lazy last week. Here is what I'm working on so far. Still in sketch mode for the most part, gotta fix her arms a bit. Everything else is thrown in to get a feel of direction/composition.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks havok! I like the flow of your character's hair a lot, what kind of light/colours are you going for? Is the beige preliminary? It isn't really working for me.

This is where I'm at;

Still WIP of course.

Last edited by Benedikt; December 3rd, 2012 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my concept and reference sheet. I wanted to develop the ideas of creation, fragility and lightness. Hopefully like to play with the transparancy of the skin and secondary backlighting the image using dramatic clouds / sky. Really interesting brief and looking forward to seeing what ideas people come up with.

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    Thanks havok! I like the flow of your character's hair a lot, what kind of light/colours are you going for? Is the beige preliminary? It isn't really working for me.
    Yea, the current color is just so I dont have to work with a white BG. It hurts my eyes after a bit. I haven't decided on colors yet, it's just in the experimental stage atm. I'm going to try playing with the idea of water being somewhere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my interpretation of life character, i tried to get simbols for the character, such as the ankh, represents life, her pose, represents cristh on cross, (too many a simbol of reborn), and the ankh, i will put in her head (forgotten in the drawing) a circular crown, made from the smbol, of the sun, (life giving energy) on her dress, thers two combinde turkey sun sign, and the format encopasses her belly, simbl of pregnancy and life giving, i chose a female character because women, always represented in antquity to be the bringers of life.
    her dark skin not only represents my believe that first humans were from african descendent, and as such represents the primordial of life, as it also represents that light of life and darkness of death, are two oposing forces that balance itself...(and as death has a white face, life has a dark one) the two weapon type light swords, unlike death scythe, these ones may bring and give life to things..

well just some ideas to get started, may change as it evolves.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    delightful_piffle: I think the pregnant woman angle is pretty clever. It really wasn't my initial thought at all.

Benedikt: That's a very interesting interpretation. I look forward to seeing you develop it fully. There's something awkward about the hind legs of the horse, but I'm not very good at horse anatomy so I can't really offer any ideas for corrections. I'd actually like to see a more dramatic pose out of the horse and maybe even the figure!

I'm thinking of this ethereal form emitting light and life. I want her to appear elusive and delicate but still maintain a strong presence. The pose was loosely inspired by Nike of Samothrace
    Name:  MainThumb.png
Views: 851
Size:  124.6 KB
    Name:  LifeSilhouettes.png
Views: 849
Size:  46.4 KB

Last edited by l'Aria; December 4th, 2012 at 12:13 AM.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to l'Aria For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmmmm.... okay I don't think I'll post any more WIPs until I get some color in here ... lol...
    Name:  lifefig3.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  304.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres my quick wip. Was thinking along the same lines as l'Aria haha, since death is so dark, life should be light. I was thinking whenever she comes and lands on the earth tree trunks would grow up and become a part of her like in this sketch. Like she grows life around her.

Name:  wip1.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  120.8 KB

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Alexanderjr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Alexanderjr: I really love the mood of yours, obviously because of the lovely, expressive silhouette and the setting you've created. In a way, I almost don't want to see where it goes because it's so lovely right now.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to MasterTroglodyte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Cheers MasterTroglodyte! I know what you mean, I wish I could just leave it like that and hand it in haha!

I hope i didn't ruin what i had! but here's where I got to. She's the spirit of life, and life follows her where she goes. when she materialises life grows around her. her skin is incandescent and slightly transparent revealing (if you look close enough) her veins and beating heart. she wears a crown of robins which are a symbol of spiritual rebirth.

I wanted her to be kinda beautiful but also intimidating, like life!

Name:  SpiritofLife1.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  463.3 KB

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alexanderjr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Alexanderjr: I like the silhouette with the effects and the increased darkness behind. My one thought is that perhaps a light that strong would appear a little more on the surroundings (like the trees behind). I love the illuminated roses, etc. Stylistically original, and very elegant.

Last edited by MasterTroglodyte; December 5th, 2012 at 12:04 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to MasterTroglodyte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff in here guys! heres my take so far...

Name:  chow_309_step2.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  183.3 KB

yes, those ARE fetuses haha

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    delightful_piffle: Amazing lines, and I like the exaggeration of the legs. Enhances the Mother Earth/tree kind of look.

No_Shot: Great pose! Seems a little odd that it's sitting on skulls of all things, but maybe you're trying to show life overcoming death.

ChaosTheory: Really like the 2nd in the top row. Still amazed that people can come up with so many ideas this quickly.

Havok Reed: I like this trail of life she leaves in her footsteps, I would try to emphasize this as you continue to work on this one. Still early so I'm looking forward to seeing where you decide to take the character. I believe her left elbow is a little too low, could just be me though.

Bendikt: I like the idea from your description, I'm just not sure if the picture tells us the same story yet. It feels like she could be any warrior on a horse. Maybe offset her by being surrounded by inanimate/artificial objects? It's definitely a tough idea to show through an image, I'll give you that. I think you're close though.

Dayle: Still early but looking good so far. I can't tell what he's holding, looks like a scythe, but I have a feeling that's not what it is lol. Interesting that you went with a male characterization.

mcreation: You have a lot of ideas and symbolism planned, will be interesting to see how you implement all of those. Arms are a little strange--not sure if they're supposed to be foreshortened but they just look short.

l'Aria: Love the pose you went with here. I think the 'elusive/delicate but strong' feeling can come across in her facial expression as well.

MasterTroglodyte: Great lines! I just want to see some colors as well at this point.

Alexanderjr: Really nice idea of having a stark white silhouette. I feel like there's going to be a lot of plant matter in this thread lol.

lancer_idenoure: Strange. I like strange ideas though. Sometimes those are the best ones. Keep going!

I keep imagining Life as some annoying RPG last boss for some reason.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Noun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some people perceive life to be pure and untouched. I see it as gritty and imbued with personality. Also, I used the buffalo horns as it is a symbol of strength and provision.
    Also, does anyone know how to resize the pic?

Last edited by panama66; December 5th, 2012 at 10:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Noun: I really like this sketch, but also keep in mind that it is falling under the "creature" category at the moment and not character. If you were to submit this to finals, we wouldn't be able to put you on the poll. Now, I'm not saying to trash it, but you need a character. You could use this as some sort of prop WITH a character, like it could be what life uses to create.

@benedikt: I agree with Noun. The description is there and I still dig the idea, but like he said, it's not screaming "life" quite yet.

@panama66: Just a couple tips for posting an image. You only need to use the attachment manager and it will automatically insert the image(s). You don't need to use the "insert image" tool. Also keep the size down to about 900px, of the largest side. We should be able to see the entirety of he character without having to scroll down.

Last edited by Havok Reed; December 5th, 2012 at 10:03 AM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Havok Reed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketches guys luv em all .... here is my interpertation of life ... it is a constant struggle for existence from little insects to humans are involved in it and as humans we hav a spirit that guides us either the right way or the wrong way ...this leads to the concept of karma ... enough explanation here is the pic

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to giby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am going to try this one too
    Here is my idea. Life is some huge queen bee that gives birth to everything.

Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  75.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sushy: Try and rethink the wings. Right now it does not look like the wings could support the bulbous body. Also look into form and position of real bee's wings. Other than that I like the concept.

Giby: love the concept and escpecially the horned creature. I'm looking foward to a coloured version.

panama66: the head and face (horns included) are great, but might I suggest you get a bit more rference for the rest of the body, escpecially the hands and feet? The piece has great potential.

Noun: thanks for your input, I'll try to show the context a little more clearly. In your piece, I love how architectural (is that even a word?) the hands look. Very unique take on the subject.

I'll get to the other entries later on I hope, have to be off. This is where I'm at right now;

Trying to communicate the context /hard, lifeless forms vs floral/soft life forms) better. Still WIP of course.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your critique, Benedikt
    I think your image looks pretty badass already o_o Not what I typically would associate life with, but very cool.

Okay trying to change the wings into something... That would make sense.
    In my head.

Name:  Untitled-3.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  94.9 KB

I am thinking of removing those two wings on her back and only keep the ones down "there", if you get what I mean.
    Should I? :V

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work so far guys.

My first WIP - Gonna have her walking through this desolate area, with a lush array of plants springing up from behind her. Trying to go for a clean line drawing this time, which I don't normally do, or at least, I haven't done for a while. Gonna be fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sushy – great concept, really like the image so far! Lovely colours. Maybe she doesn’t need wings? Instead, since she is the queen, she could have like four little worker bees carrying her… with rope or something!?! I prefer the ones on her back because wings / legs are connected to the thorax and not the abdomen.

Benedikt – Great image, the details and lighting are awesome.

Giby – 0.0 linework is looking fantastic, like the story, look forward to seeing this fleshed out.

This is me so far.

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well one more wip
    everyone who commented thanks!!
    yeahh the arms were strange but i decided to keep them as wing like things, an put two regular arm, that will be making black like plants grow (i hope i can do it, its not my strong point)

if i have time ill comment on some

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Noun: Thanks! I like your non-humanoid approach to the brief. Very curious to see where you go with this!
    Dayle: It's nice to have "Life" being interpreted as a male form! Great start, just be careful with your anatomy. He looks a bit emaciated (unless that was your intention?)
    giby: Sweet lines! This looks like an interesting story! I'm excited to see you render this.

Don't really know what I'm doing. Just going with the flow haha
    Name:  LifeWIP1.png
Views: 576
Size:  677.5 KB

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to l'Aria For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1