Art: Joker Bust
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Joker Bust

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Joker Bust

I am new to this forum and new to sculpting also. I am looking forward to some feedback and best practices for future sculpts. I used regular sculpey for this bust. I am looking to cast it in resin to make copies and a question I have is can the original be painted first and then cast or is it better to leave it unpainted and use it as the master for all casts.

Thanks for any information.
    Name:  IMG_0741 (Large).JPG
Views: 793
Size:  167.8 KBName:  IMG_0744 (Large).JPG
Views: 759
Size:  161.6 KBName:  IMG_0748 (Large).JPG
Views: 786
Size:  128.0 KBName:  IMG_0749 (Large).JPG
Views: 757
Size:  177.2 KBName:  IMG_0750 (Large).JPG
Views: 770
Size:  180.9 KBName:  IMG_0751 (Large).JPG
Views: 760
Size:  171.3 KBName:  IMG_0754 (Large).JPG
Views: 783
Size:  170.1 KBName:  IMG_0755 (Large).JPG
Views: 753
Size:  125.6 KBName:  IMG_0756 (Large).JPG
Views: 746
Size:  158.1 KBAttachment 1649163Name:  IMG_0759 (Large).JPG
Views: 748
Size:  177.5 KBName:  IMG_0760 (Large).JPG
Views: 749
Size:  184.2 KBName:  IMG_0761 (Large).JPG
Views: 742
Size:  184.1 KBName:  IMG_0764 (Large).JPG
Views: 744
Size:  126.9 KBName:  IMG_0765 (Large).JPG
Views: 743
Size:  125.5 KBName:  IMG_0792 (Large).JPG
Size:  140.2 KBName:  IMG_0793 (Large).JPG
Views: 746
Size:  134.0 KBName:  IMG_0795 (Large).JPG
Views: 734
Size:  135.7 KBName:  IMG_0796 (Large).JPG
Views: 731
Size:  142.6 KBName:  IMG_0799 (Large).JPG
Size:  179.1 KB
    SyN

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Firstly, get some nice, free image editing software like GIMP, and hit image > transform > rotate 90 degrees clockwise.

Secondly, nice work on parts of the sculpt, and I think you've got a knack for it; but there are a lot of little oddities and errors in it, most of which could be fixed by more study of skull structure along with face studies and general practise, I think. Even with an exaggerated, twisted comic character like the Joker.

For instance, there's the classic beginner's mistake of placing the eyes too high on the head. The cheeks (which are set a little low, even with the too-high eyes) fuse with the prominent nose, eliminating the nasolabial folds, and the maxilla (with the mandible/jaw) is pulled way back. Both combine to create a strange kind of overhanging shelf over the mouth. The problem with the cheeks, fold, and maxilla also makes it look like the mouth and lips are laid onto the surface of the face. They don't really look like they contain, cover, or interact with any bones or muscles.
    And if there's two things you need for a big, manic grin, they are: lots of teeth, and a good, big nasiolabial fold!
    The eyes and eyelids have the same 'laid on' problem, as well as an appearance of 'symbols' of eyes. (i.e. a general oval leaf shape with a circle/rounded surface inside suggests an eye, but isn't accurately shaped or detailed like a real eye) Why did you cover up the spheres you had in place of eyes? I can guess that they were too small, but they did look better. I would've suggested tracking down some larger ones, or sculpting the whole at a smaller scale.
    Lastly, for now, he needs a lot more skull!

I know it's tempting to rush ahead and accomplish things, but I don't know if I'd bother to cast it at this point, except as casting practise. Have you baked it already?

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I agree that I need more work with the features. This is my first facial sculpt and I did notice some problems with the eyes and mouth especially. I have already baked it and plan on casting as test. I have someone who wants to buy one from me, so it will cover my cost of the venture at least...lol Thanks again for the input. I will put it to use on my next sculpture.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    Firstly, get some nice, free image editing software like GIMP, and hit image > transform > rotate 90 degrees clockwise.

Secondly, nice work on parts of the sculpt, and I think you've got a knack for it; but there are a lot of little oddities and errors in it, most of which could be fixed by more study of skull structure along with face studies and general practise, I think. Even with an exaggerated, twisted comic character like the Joker.

For instance, there's the classic beginner's mistake of placing the eyes too high on the head. The cheeks (which are set a little low, even with the too-high eyes) fuse with the prominent nose, eliminating the nasolabial folds, and the maxilla (with the mandible/jaw) is pulled way back. Both combine to create a strange kind of overhanging shelf over the mouth. The problem with the cheeks, fold, and maxilla also makes it look like the mouth and lips are laid onto the surface of the face. They don't really look like they contain, cover, or interact with any bones or muscles.
    And if there's two things you need for a big, manic grin, they are: lots of teeth, and a good, big nasiolabial fold!
    The eyes and eyelids have the same 'laid on' problem, as well as an appearance of 'symbols' of eyes. (i.e. a general oval leaf shape with a circle/rounded surface inside suggests an eye, but isn't accurately shaped or detailed like a real eye) Why did you cover up the spheres you had in place of eyes? I can guess that they were too small, but they did look better. I would've suggested tracking down some larger ones, or sculpting the whole at a smaller scale.
    Lastly, for now, he needs a lot more skull!

I know it's tempting to rush ahead and accomplish things, but I don't know if I'd bother to cast it at this point, except as casting practise. Have you baked it already?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with everything Vermis has said. Additionally when rotating the images I'd scale them down a bit so they're not so huge also being that the mouth is the main focus of the sculpture I think the teeth could be improved if you sculpted each one instead of just carving in the outline that way they wouldn't look so flat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thinking about it, I maybe misinterpreted the 'cheek shelf' as eliminating the nasiolabial fold, when it's more likely the representation of the fold; particularly with the Joker's usual expression. So apologies for getting too wound up about that; although I still think the cheeks overhang too much, and that the fold needs to seperate the nose from the cheek, and wrap around the corner of the mouth.

And yeah, teeth.

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Members who have read this thread: 1