In need of advice: A long journey
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon In need of advice: A long journey

please can anyone look at my work in progress entry for the long journey. advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

A LONG JOURNEY ALBUM
    http://conceptart.org/forums/album.php?albumid=8073

ATTACH=CONFIG]1649040[/ATTACH]

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    progress has been made. please can you give feedback as im eager to improve.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 735 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Why are they walking to the left? If they're headed toward that red thing, they'd have their backs to us. The clone stamp textures aren't doing you any favors at all.

Five men walking toward a fire in the mountains across a snow-covered plain is a pretty advanced job. Is this for a particular project? Because if it's just a learning exercise, do yourself a favor: draw an apple.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    they are walking to the left as they suppose to look like they are making their way round the mountain edges. progress has been made, i would really appreciate it if you give feedback on it as your critique is really useful . its for an assignment, to do a enter one of the comps and get used to using forums for improvement and progress. if i could i would reeally perfer to do an apple. lol. btw no clone stamp tool has been used but i can get why you got that impression.

Last edited by ReedyProduction; December 2nd, 2012 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ReedyProduction View Post
    its for an assignment, to do a enter one of the comps and get used to using forums for improvement and progress.
    Concerning English writing; that particular line isn't making sense to me.

At this point, youíre trying to do something that is currently beyond your skill level. If your assignment is to study forms to improve and progress as an artist, youíre failing because thatís clearly not what youíre focusing on in this image. As Stoat suggested, draw an apple. There's nothing better than drawing from life to learn forms, and improve as an artist.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree that wasn't proper English. the competition is called 'A Long Journey Ahead'. i cant draw a apple for that. lol. I understand your comment and i totally agree with you. but im not doing this because i know its beyond my skill level, im doing it because i want to progress to and beyond that skill level. progress has been made and i would really appreciate the feedback. i love the crittercism be as brutal as you want as it all contributes to me becoming better at digital art.

Name:  alongjourneyprogress2.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  150.9 KB

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You shouldn't be entering ANY competitions at this level. You need to work on basic drawing fundamentals...thus the excellent advice to draw an apple. How on earth do you expect to be able to handle an image like this if you don't understand the basics?

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks JeffX99 for your feedback. the links you provided are really helpful, i particularly like the 6th one. i will try and improve on my basic drawing fundamentals and try the recommended excercise of drawing an apple.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don’t want to come across as a dick, but you keep saying that progress has been made, and I’m really not seeing any progress beyond completely naive artistic attempts.

The reason people keep telling you to draw an apple is because it’s the starting point. You’re brain has to be taught how to understand forms. In drawing an apple (or painting one) you begin to train your mind to look for the things that make stuff look real. You learn about value, color, perspective, and proportion. In your painting, none of these elements show that you have any understanding of how they work, and as such, a critique will do you no good. If you want to be able to win contests, you need to draw the apple first.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    youre not coming across as a dick at all. that is really helpful advice. i completely understand the point that you are getting at. i appreciate the advice so much that you wont believe. i will be looking into learning the fundamentals of drawing first thing tommorow morning. thanks David_a_ray.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that this piece needs more study from reference because although you may of taken reference for the hikers in the painting, the rest of the image is riddled with mistakes that probably could of been avoided by taking reference! Also take your time with painting, i guess you used some sort of textured brush and dotted it about, having the same pattern around the place is not a good thing to do!

Keep at it anyway man! Keep studying!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Katastrophi For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.