set of 5 drafting pencils is this overkill?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

set of 5 drafting pencils is this overkill?

check link below to verify.... set of 5 drafting pencils is this overkill?
    i have no idea what type of graphite to use for all the pencils i like HB but to have all the pencils filled with HB graphite i dont know if i want that...i know there's no right or wrong way but how should i handle this? maybe .3 .4 .5 dark graphite for more detail areas?...maybe .7and .9 for lighter graphite for sketching thumbnails and stuff?
    http://www.jetpens.com/Pentel-Graphg...zes-Set/pd/643

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well personally I think the price is the overkill part. Seriously if you're not sure, buy one pen and see how that feels, before spending 80$. If after that you start to feel that you need more sizes, then go ahead.

By the way I notice that your Sketchbook hasn't been updated since July of last year. Just saying.
    EDIT: No wait I already said that.. almost a month ago. So, still haven't found your scanner?

Last edited by TinyBird; December 1st, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Well personally I think the price is the overkill part. Seriously if you're not sure, buy one pen and see how that feels, before spending 80$. If after that you start to feel that you need more sizes, then go ahead.

By the way I notice that your Sketchbook hasn't been updated since July of last year. Just saying.
    EDIT: No wait I already said that.. almost a month ago. So, still haven't found your scanner?
    I've had one of these drafting pencils before after 3 months and it breaked but i have a heavy hand when drawing i'm known for breaking drafting pencils with in the first week i have them..its one of the best drafting pencils out right now it has great reviews..it feels good in my hand it's heavier than the average drafting pencil..yes $80 is overkill...yes i found my scanner lol...i've been saving $ for art supplies i have $400 last month i had $235 lol.

Last edited by creeptool; December 1st, 2012 at 07:13 PM.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by creeptool View Post
    I've had one of these drafting pencils before after 3 months and it breaked but i have a heavy hand when drawing i'm known for breaking drafting pencils with in the first week i have them..
    So what's the point of spending 80$ on something you're known to break in a week? Even if it has great reviews (do you just want them because they have great reviews or do you personally feel it is significantly better than any cheaper pens?) it doesn't affect the fact that you break them and to me that just sounds like money lost. Personally I'd just buy a bunch of graphite sticks and practice with those until you learn to be less heavy handed.

Also if you found your scanner, where's the updates?

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    So what's the point of spending 80$ on something you're known to break in a week? Even if it has great reviews (do you just want them because they have great reviews or do you personally feel it is significantly better than any cheaper pens?) it doesn't affect the fact that you break them and to me that just sounds like money lost. Personally I'd just buy a bunch of graphite sticks and practice with those until you learn to be less heavy handed.

Also if you found your scanner, where's the updates?
    your right about the drafting pencils i'm going to look into it..sorry for the bad grammar and spelling english is not my first language...ones i get back on track i'll start posting for sure..i'm just making sure i dont buy any art supplies i don't need or dont know how to use lol i dont want to waste my money.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's not the tools...it never is.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    It's not the tools...it never is.
    Actually, it is. I've got this nice magic mechanical pencil that I can sell you for a cheap seventy bucks. It's got a genie in it that makes you instantly better at drawing.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Falchion View Post
    Actually, it is. I've got this nice magic mechanical pencil that I can sell you for a cheap seventy bucks. It's got a genie in it that makes you instantly better at drawing.
    it must be broken because it hasn't made your art much better maybe thats why your selling it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've sometimes wondered (but never for long): What's the difference between a drafting pencil and a mechanical pencil?

And what's the difference between a $5 drafting pencil and a $15 drafting pencil?

Or how many wooden pencils, MP or 2.0mm leads, or as Tinybird says graphite sticks, could you get for $80?

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    I've sometimes wondered (but never for long): What's the difference between a drafting pencil and a mechanical pencil?
    http://anotherpenfiend.blogspot.fi/2...ng-pencil.html

Or how many wooden pencils, MP or 2.0mm leads, or as Tinybird says graphite sticks, could you get for $80?
    In here, it'd get you about 32 graphite sticks! Probably even more graphite or coloured pencils.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    And what's the difference between a $5 drafting pencil and a $15 drafting pencil?
    10 bucks.

I do like my Staedtler Mars 780. More of a lead holder I suppose with a nice sharpener on the end.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Straight to the point! Ta. Bookmarked.

By the definition there, the cheap little Pentel 120s I use are drafting pencils. Now I'm more convinced that the $80 set (and the rest of the high-priced stuff) is a bit of a con. And following Emily's links to leadholder.com, if the retired rant is accurate, it's the cherry on the cake.

It's a laugh or two anyway.

I've been ranting since long before this site began about the evils of thin lead pencils and the corruptive power they have over impressionable youth. Although these impure drawing implements are now represented in the collection, thin lead mechanical pencils and their use are in no way endorsed by Leadholder...
    The difference between a very high quality thin lead mechanical pencil and a cheap one is damn close to no difference at all. The spectrum of thin lead drafting pencils runs from all metal rotrings to deep within the territory of mega-mass-produced disposable shit clickers sold by the carload full for the use of faceless populations of office drones. Yet, aside from the heft of the metal variations they have indistinguishably sloppy actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    10 bucks.
    Yup.

Last edited by Vermis; December 2nd, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All of those widths are going to be largely the same when you sharpen them to a point. Get whatever width that you can get the widest range of leads for, buy several lead-holders of that width, and then mark them so that you can tell which one has HB and which one has 5B in it.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Seriously, you could get several boxes of regular wooden pencils for $80 bucks and they'd work just the same as the fancy mechanical ones, maybe better... And you can always sharpen wooden pencils to whatever width/shape you want. Or get a big bunch of wooden pencils and graphite sticks, best of both worlds. Overpriced mechanical pencils seem like a total rip-off to me.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I prefer these: 10 0.7mm BIC mechanical pencils from the office supply store and some tubes of different graphite from the art supply store. That's about ten dollars and they last for at least half a year (after which you just spend five dollars on some more graphite). You just have to find one that will hold onto your graphite tight enough that it won't rotate. And the BIC pencils do that just fine. Also, some of them have grips on them, or you can buy those from the discount office stores. I've never liked fancy art pencils as much as the cheap ones (although colored pencils are a different matter – you should spring for the pricy ones after you've learned how to use them as there's a world of difference in the waxes).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Seriously, you could get several boxes of regular wooden pencils for $80 bucks and they'd work just the same as the fancy mechanical ones, maybe better... And you can always sharpen wooden pencils to whatever width/shape you want. Or get a big bunch of wooden pencils and graphite sticks, best of both worlds. Overpriced mechanical pencils seem like a total rip-off to me.
    this... mechanical pencils are actually quite a handycap if it comes to the options of making a mark. ive been a mechanical pencil fan once too, but i had to recognize the fact, that 1) theyre much more expensive and 2) more limiting in your possible approaches. just buy some wooden pencils in 2h, hb and 3b (or a black colored pencil) and do whatever you can. its in the pictures, not the tools. you either manage to pull it off, or you dont. no whatever magical product is going to change that.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just for everyone to know i wanna draw comic pages and concept art stuff like we see here on this site dont know if that helps with what art stuff i need...but i still need to learn how to draw...but at the end of the day i don't think i'll be drawing with graphite sticks and charcoal because thats not what comic artist use or what concept artist use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    again... its not the tools. i dont know any single medium where there aint been someone, achieving a result i wouldnt admire. the point is not what someone else uses, its about what you can use to get there. and yeah i agree, i have my favorite tools aswell, but they just turned out to be that, by using them compared to other options that ve been available... and they inconstantly change.

i think it can be solved quite pragmatically. would you ,on the long run, get better results, spending the time, on pondering what to use, or actually drawing (even if it would be using a toothpick tipped in rat-poo on used toilet paper)?

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

24. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If it's overkill depends on how much is 77$ to you. If your budget is tight, I'd suggest you invest in someplace else. Even if you are a mechanical/drafting pencil kind of drawer (nothing wrong with that) you aint gonna get that much more out of having 5 widths instead of say two. Maybe like having a .3 and a .5 and perhaps something larger, though I'd just use a regular wood casing pencil by then. Also, drafting pencils are kind of brittle, drop them on the floor tip down you easily end up with a bent end, simple mechanicals are a lot sturdier in that sense and unless you draft with them it doesn't really matter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use a 4b, either a 2b or hb and a 4h pencil whenever I use graphite. I'm not a fan of mechanical pencils although I do use a lead holder pen with non photo blue lead for just about everything.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Uh... Plenty of comic artists use ordinary wooden pencils. You don't need fancy expensive pencils for drawing comics.

And concept artists use everything and the kitchen sink, INCLUDING charcoal and graphite sticks. Ever seen Glen Keane's concept work? Lots of charcoal and big, soft graphite lines of the kind you can get with a graphite stick. And the concept art for Finding Nemo included huge gorgeous charcoal drawings.

As everyone keeps saying, IT'S NOT THE TOOLS. It's what you do with them.

And if you're still learning to draw, what the hell, it totally doesn't matter what you use. A pack of cheap ordinary pencils and copy paper is all you need to get started.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you sure you need expensive mechanical pencils at all? Don't go throwing your money at art supplies just because you've read that you're "supposed" to use a certain pencil, or it's what the pros use, etc. I know it's personal preference but I vastly prefer wooden pencils. IMO for general sketching there's nothing better than cheap Ticonderoga No. 2's, which I buy in packs of 20 from the grocery store for a couple bucks.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Lamp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    believe or not. there are comic artists that probably do use graphite sticks and charcoal for their drawings. There even some that use regular writing pens for inking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I forgot to mention this artist http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ide=more246313 he just uses ballpoint pens that all, just ballpoint pens. Its not about what you use, its about how you use it. - quote from the artist himself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by karta tajba View Post
    I forgot to mention this artist http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ide=more246313 he just uses ballpoint pens that all, just ballpoint pens. Its not about what you use, its about how you use it. - quote from the artist himself.
    wow that guy can do great drwings with ballpoint pens lol crazzy stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.