Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sacramento ca,
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts

    set of 5 drafting pencils is this overkill?

    check link below to verify.... set of 5 drafting pencils is this overkill?
    i have no idea what type of graphite to use for all the pencils i like HB but to have all the pencils filled with HB graphite i dont know if i want that...i know there's no right or wrong way but how should i handle this? maybe .3 .4 .5 dark graphite for more detail areas?...maybe .7and .9 for lighter graphite for sketching thumbnails and stuff?
    http://www.jetpens.com/Pentel-Graphg...zes-Set/pd/643

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    HELLsinki, Finland
    Posts
    4,853
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 2,690 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Well personally I think the price is the overkill part. Seriously if you're not sure, buy one pen and see how that feels, before spending 80$. If after that you start to feel that you need more sizes, then go ahead.

    By the way I notice that your Sketchbook hasn't been updated since July of last year. Just saying.
    EDIT: No wait I already said that.. almost a month ago. So, still haven't found your scanner?

    Last edited by TinyBird; December 1st, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sacramento ca,
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Well personally I think the price is the overkill part. Seriously if you're not sure, buy one pen and see how that feels, before spending 80$. If after that you start to feel that you need more sizes, then go ahead.

    By the way I notice that your Sketchbook hasn't been updated since July of last year. Just saying.
    EDIT: No wait I already said that.. almost a month ago. So, still haven't found your scanner?
    I've had one of these drafting pencils before after 3 months and it breaked but i have a heavy hand when drawing i'm known for breaking drafting pencils with in the first week i have them..its one of the best drafting pencils out right now it has great reviews..it feels good in my hand it's heavier than the average drafting pencil..yes $80 is overkill...yes i found my scanner lol...i've been saving $ for art supplies i have $400 last month i had $235 lol.

    Last edited by creeptool; December 1st, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    HELLsinki, Finland
    Posts
    4,853
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 2,690 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creeptool View Post
    I've had one of these drafting pencils before after 3 months and it breaked but i have a heavy hand when drawing i'm known for breaking drafting pencils with in the first week i have them..
    So what's the point of spending 80$ on something you're known to break in a week? Even if it has great reviews (do you just want them because they have great reviews or do you personally feel it is significantly better than any cheaper pens?) it doesn't affect the fact that you break them and to me that just sounds like money lost. Personally I'd just buy a bunch of graphite sticks and practice with those until you learn to be less heavy handed.

    Also if you found your scanner, where's the updates?

    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sacramento ca,
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    So what's the point of spending 80$ on something you're known to break in a week? Even if it has great reviews (do you just want them because they have great reviews or do you personally feel it is significantly better than any cheaper pens?) it doesn't affect the fact that you break them and to me that just sounds like money lost. Personally I'd just buy a bunch of graphite sticks and practice with those until you learn to be less heavy handed.

    Also if you found your scanner, where's the updates?
    your right about the drafting pencils i'm going to look into it..sorry for the bad grammar and spelling english is not my first language...ones i get back on track i'll start posting for sure..i'm just making sure i dont buy any art supplies i don't need or dont know how to use lol i dont want to waste my money.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    5,234
    Thanks
    3,512
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    It's not the tools...it never is.

    What would Caravaggio do?
    _________________________

    Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Noo Yawk
    Posts
    2,176
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 776 Times in 461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    It's not the tools...it never is.
    Actually, it is. I've got this nice magic mechanical pencil that I can sell you for a cheap seventy bucks. It's got a genie in it that makes you instantly better at drawing.

    Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

    Lookit the Pretty!

    Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sacramento ca,
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Falchion View Post
    Actually, it is. I've got this nice magic mechanical pencil that I can sell you for a cheap seventy bucks. It's got a genie in it that makes you instantly better at drawing.
    it must be broken because it hasn't made your art much better maybe thats why your selling it?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North'n Ironed
    Posts
    686
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 176 Times in 125 Posts
    I've sometimes wondered (but never for long): What's the difference between a drafting pencil and a mechanical pencil?

    And what's the difference between a $5 drafting pencil and a $15 drafting pencil?

    Or how many wooden pencils, MP or 2.0mm leads, or as Tinybird says graphite sticks, could you get for $80?

    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    HELLsinki, Finland
    Posts
    4,853
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 2,690 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    I've sometimes wondered (but never for long): What's the difference between a drafting pencil and a mechanical pencil?
    http://anotherpenfiend.blogspot.fi/2...ng-pencil.html

    Or how many wooden pencils, MP or 2.0mm leads, or as Tinybird says graphite sticks, could you get for $80?
    In here, it'd get you about 32 graphite sticks! Probably even more graphite or coloured pencils.

    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:


  15. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    And what's the difference between a $5 drafting pencil and a $15 drafting pencil?
    10 bucks.

    I do like my Staedtler Mars 780. More of a lead holder I suppose with a nice sharpener on the end.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:


  17. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North'n Ironed
    Posts
    686
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 176 Times in 125 Posts
    Straight to the point! Ta. Bookmarked.

    By the definition there, the cheap little Pentel 120s I use are drafting pencils. Now I'm more convinced that the $80 set (and the rest of the high-priced stuff) is a bit of a con. And following Emily's links to leadholder.com, if the retired rant is accurate, it's the cherry on the cake.

    It's a laugh or two anyway.

    I've been ranting since long before this site began about the evils of thin lead pencils and the corruptive power they have over impressionable youth. Although these impure drawing implements are now represented in the collection, thin lead mechanical pencils and their use are in no way endorsed by Leadholder...
    The difference between a very high quality thin lead mechanical pencil and a cheap one is damn close to no difference at all. The spectrum of thin lead drafting pencils runs from all metal rotrings to deep within the territory of mega-mass-produced disposable shit clickers sold by the carload full for the use of faceless populations of office drones. Yet, aside from the heft of the metal variations they have indistinguishably sloppy actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    10 bucks.
    Yup.

    Last edited by Vermis; December 2nd, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  18. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,178
    Thanks
    752
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    All of those widths are going to be largely the same when you sharpen them to a point. Get whatever width that you can get the widest range of leads for, buy several lead-holders of that width, and then mark them so that you can tell which one has HB and which one has 5B in it.

    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

    "There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook