Sketchbook: -RUSALKA-'s sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

-RUSALKA-'s sketchbook

Hello, all!

This probably will be one of the most poor SB starts you've ever seen. I've decided to start very modestly because my results vary too much from day to day and even between various subjects; I realised that the first thing I need to learn is to get some kind of consistency in the subjects and objects I sketch from day to day. If I'd judge myself I'd never have the courage to do this. But here I am, doing it!
    Fortunately, this seems to be a straightforward, kind, harsh and very personally developing (from what I've seen) forum where anyone can become better.

Currently, I'm trying to practice perspectives. Today I've been mixing a lot of motives; simple sloppy cubes to very quick (and equally sloppy) sketches of a cup, a slim vision of a room through a door, and a part of the entrance to a local supermarket.

You are free to write anything you want! I'm quite neutral to these pieces myself.

Name:  Scan-121201-0002_r.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  111.6 KB
    Name:  Scan-121201-0003a_r.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  102.7 KB
    Name:  Scan-121201-0003b_1.jpg
Size:  99.5 KB
    Name:  Scan-121201-0004_r.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  103.2 KB
    Name:  Scan-121201-0005_r.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  104.5 KB
    Name:  Scan-121201-0006_r.jpg
Size:  95.6 KB

I am the least content with this one below. It was made during a maximum of three minutes where I deliberately rushed to push myself to "see" and draw the objects on the same horizon line but with different vanishing points on said horizon. I only focused on the perspectives and now I feel this is way too cluttered to even present the main purpose. This is a note to myself not to rush ahead and care about the lines. In this sketch, I see there is no sensible variation in the lines whatsoever.

Name:  Scan-121201-0007_r.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  129.3 KB
    Name:  Scan-121201-0008_r.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  100.3 KB

This was all for today!

Last edited by -RUSALKA-; January 11th, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketchmanship. i think thay figure made of cubes is an excellent way to study with perspective

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start! It’s great to see you’re tackling a range of subjects. Keep going with the life drawing it’ll definitely help it’s also nice to see that you’re realising where you’re going wrong as that will help you improve even quicker. I’m looking forward to seeing your progress I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is today's set. It's not much, but I deliberately took some practice time on them.

The first picture below is a very round rubber heart; a "stress ball".
    I placed it on the table in quite dull and weak light and tried very hard to see where the proper shadows would be. I also kept an eye on the perspective. I'm moderately satisfied with the overall shape (it stays as true as it can get to the actual object) and the shadowing - but I really dislike my strokes and don't really know what to do about them. There is no consistency in the shadowing technique, I feel.
    Name:  Scan-121202-0001_r.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  141.9 KB

Below is a tea press. It's made of glass and chrome framing and has a lid, which is not in the picture. First you pour tea leaves in it, then add hot water, and then put the lid on and let the tea sift. Later, the lid can be pressed down and the tea be drunk since the pad stops the leaves from getting in your cup.
    I was satisfied with this (it took me some time, glass and highly glossy metal is HARD to draw!), and payed attention to perspective. But I seemed to get lost during the process of tedious shadowing; now I see very clearly that the bottom oval part of the object is not in shape with the top circle, and it brings disharmony to the perspective.
    Name:  Scan-121202-0002_r.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  138.8 KB

Just a few orbs drawn in different materials, from my mind; i tried to make both glossy and dull globes in different lights.
    Name:  Scan-121202-0003_r.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  107.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Denzel View Post
    nice sketchmanship. i think thay figure made of cubes is an excellent way to study with perspective
    Thank you! I am happy you checked out my sketchbook and I will definitely visit your!

Quote Originally Posted by SophieW View Post
    Nice start! It’s great to see you’re tackling a range of subjects. Keep going with the life drawing it’ll definitely help it’s also nice to see that you’re realising where you’re going wrong as that will help you improve even quicker. I’m looking forward to seeing your progress I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this sketchbook.
    I've seen your SB and I like it a lot! It's followed, and I'm happy you took your time to check in on mine. There will definitely be more from me; I'll set aside a little time every day and more time on free days.

Last edited by -RUSALKA-; December 2nd, 2012 at 05:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while, and finally I am back home again with loads and loads of practice on my back. With holidays and no functional internet keeping the promise of uploading very often has failed... but my drawings are many and I will upload a select few of them. They span an effective period of approximately one week; I've not had particularly many calm hours per day so instead the days are many. I've mainly focused to practice as much as I can on getting the basics down from Loomis's books and then trying as much as possible to come up with things from my mind, only, with the principles I learned.

All pictures below are sorted in a chronological order, with the last one drawn yesterday.

Name:  Scan-130103-0003.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  160.9 KB

Name:  Scan-130103-0004.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  184.1 KB

Name:  Scan-130103-0005.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  181.7 KB

Name:  Scan-130103-0006.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  101.0 KB

Name:  Scan-130103-0008.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  113.7 KB

Name:  Scan-130103-0007.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  123.7 KB

Name:  Scan-130103-0009.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  237.9 KB

Name:  Scan-130103-0010.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  231.4 KB

Name:  Scan-130103-0011.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  197.1 KB

Name:  Scan-130103-0012.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  125.6 KB

Name:  Scan-130103-0013.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  118.7 KB

Oh, and nevermind the TACOCAT. While I was drawing, my boyfriend asked me if I had yet realised that Tacocat is a palindrome. My mind was blown when I checked it on the actual paper.

Merry Late Christmas & A Tardy Happy New Year's!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some more from the last few days. It's not everything. Not been drawing on proper sheets due to lack of space in my bag and forced to crop, cut and copy in Photoshop. I really hope I put some discipline on myself from now on and go get larger sheets or at least use A4. Better bent than cropped and poorly drawn.

Name:  Scan-130111-0004.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  229.9 KB

Name:  Scan-130111-0005.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  151.8 KB

Name:  Scan-130111-0007.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  267.1 KB

Name:  Scan-130111-0003.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  252.2 KB

The last one; HORRIBAD. I can see something is very off but I don't understand what exactly. I think it's the hip and pelvic area. In the way that I have drawn this poor man, he ought to have abnormally long legs to a way too short torso.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The right leg on that last picture is really terrible, as in it just doesn't connect with the rest of the body.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see good progress so far! With the shading it may help you to start with more simple materials and one light source only, to get a feeling for placing the shadows right (without having to pay attention to all kinds of reflections on a shiny surface). The recent figures are already much better than the first ones, but you seem to have problems with what-bulge-goes-where. Don't only rely on the simplified figures Loomis(?) teaches but study the real thing (skeleton, muscles(!!!)) first -the guy developed these methods of simplification only after studying the real body afterall.
    As for the last sketch; The problem is the lack of understanding of muscles. The right thigh is much too thin, both calves egg shaped (the two muscles there don't cover the whole length) and I don't really understand what the right knee is doing. Pay closer attention to the fore-shortening and how shapes overlap in perspective. One thing that helped me a lot was to trace the reference (so you get an accurate outline) and then carefully draw in the bones and muscles with the help of a book like Anatomy for the Artist and really think about what goes where and why stuff looks like it does.

Please take a look at my Sketchbook! <- Comments are highly appreciated and returned C:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingSeraph View Post
    The right leg on that last picture is really terrible, as in it just doesn't connect with the rest of the body.
    Thanks. It is indeed. It looks like a sad and painfully dislocated spaghetti thingy-ish. This abomination was drawn before all the others in the set and I found this position extra tricky (for some reason); nevertheless I don't think I'll do this poorly again.

Quote Originally Posted by Heyriel View Post
    I see good progress so far! With the shading it may help you to start with more simple materials and one light source only, to get a feeling for placing the shadows right (without having to pay attention to all kinds of reflections on a shiny surface). The recent figures are already much better than the first ones, but you seem to have problems with what-bulge-goes-where. Don't only rely on the simplified figures Loomis(?) teaches but study the real thing (skeleton, muscles(!!!)) first -the guy developed these methods of simplification only after studying the real body afterall.
    As for the last sketch; The problem is the lack of understanding of muscles. The right thigh is much too thin, both calves egg shaped (the two muscles there don't cover the whole length) and I don't really understand what the right knee is doing. Pay closer attention to the fore-shortening and how shapes overlap in perspective. One thing that helped me a lot was to trace the reference (so you get an accurate outline) and then carefully draw in the bones and muscles with the help of a book like Anatomy for the Artist and really think about what goes where and why stuff looks like it does.
    Thanks for all the tips! I haven't tried to shade these figures though, just doing general outlines and approximations; but I am trying to following Loomis's Figure Drawing book in a sense. I try to understand and discover all the ways a body can move and how the weigh is carried before I even try shading (maybe this is the wrong approach?).
    This was actually the last set of line-only figures in a while, at least in this sketchbook. From tomorrow on I have planned to study and produce more of shaded muscles, both relaxed and worked.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't feel too bad, we all screw up and besides, the rest of your studies are kick ass!

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I’ll have a super big 1420 tablet and one comission I will be working on at the show at that size. If you want one of those inquire, but note the pricing starts higher. I can of course do pencil, ink, and watercolour. Hope to see you at the big show!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start, there's definitely some progress to be seen here. Anatomy is hard, but you're on the right track. The only real advice I can give is to practice, practice, practice. If something looks off, you'll most likely notice it yourself anyway. Using lots of references, both from photos and real life helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaving Worlds View Post
    Nice start, there's definitely some progress to be seen here. Anatomy is hard, but you're on the right track. The only real advice I can give is to practice, practice, practice. If something looks off, you'll most likely notice it yourself anyway. Using lots of references, both from photos and real life helps.
    Thanks. I'm pondering about what to make a practice the most of - anatomy from my imagination or references.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good afternoon!

I have been taking huge steps to improve myself - mondays are now spent doing croquis. I've started going to the local art school where one can take evening courses and pay for one session only. Very suitable! I never thought I could have so much fun drawing for two hours straight in total concetration.

I've been up to lot, simultaneously poking a bit on watercoloring. This has led me to a quest in which I will partly and complementary study anatomy with water colors. I really like this medium! Below is my first try on a skull, from my imagination (I see the major mistake), after studying the skull for some time with pen and simple sketches.

- - - EDIT - - - I fixed the skull very soon after I uploaded this. Did not look up on any references when correcting the grave mistake.

Name:  Scan-130207-0001_ca.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  275.7 KB

Corrected below.

Name:  Scan-130209-0015.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  302.2 KB

Sketches from the live studies will be uploded later this very evening because there are shitloads of them that need some sorting and they are BIG; I prioritized this skull because I might be a little satisfied with it, even though I see mistakes everywhere. On the rightmost side of the skull, the base of the occipital bone doesn't look as if it connects to the parietal.

Last edited by -RUSALKA-; February 8th, 2013 at 08:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Almost every time I make THE big cleaning of my room I get stuck to allt the forgotten things I suddenly find. Usually, I snicker at myself from back then, but not without some feeling of progress. That's why I will put the good, the bad, and especially the ugly here for everyone to see. But most for myself to use as self-improvement. I have something to say about almost every single piece of paper that is shown below, and tomorrow morning I'm going to put them in a chronological order and also sort them according to their proper time limit which is given us on the life study sessions (I think this is very important, for myself to look back on mostly). Some of them are done in 30 seconds and they are pretty easy to spot IMO!
    Some poses really stress me out and I think this is also very obvious in some drawings. The least time we get is 30 seconds, and the most five minutes.

In case you're viewing this sketchbook and see no comments before every picture and feel their quality have an awkward range, have in mind that they are not sorted! Took a lot of time to scan them, sort, and then merge partial scans of a single paper (A3 is so nice and my proportions get better on the big sheets, but for the purpose of scanning I will try to use A4 as much as possible).

Here goes.

Name:  Scan-130209-0014.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  190.5 KB
    Name:  Scan-130209-0013.jpg
Size:  201.8 KB
    Name:  Scan-130209-0012.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  226.1 KB
    Name:  Scan-130209-0011.jpg
Size:  177.9 KB
    Name:  Scan-130209-0010.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  256.5 KB
    Name:  Scan-130209-0009.jpg
Size:  226.1 KB
    Name:  Scan-130209-0008.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  196.1 KB
    Name:  Scan-130209-0007.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  159.1 KB
    Name:  Scan-130209-0006.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  180.4 KB
    Name:  Scan-130209-0005.jpg
Size:  171.7 KB
    Name:  Scan-130209-0004.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  183.4 KB
    Name:  Scan-130209-0003.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  192.1 KB
    Name:  Scan-130209-0002.jpg
Size:  201.8 KB
    Name:  Scan-130209-0001.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  199.1 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0026.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  202.6 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0025.jpg
Size:  173.1 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0024.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  168.1 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0023.jpg
Size:  166.4 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0022.jpg
Size:  171.4 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0021.jpg
Size:  183.0 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0020.jpg
Size:  186.9 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0019.jpg
Size:  161.0 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0018.jpg
Size:  191.1 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0017.jpg
Size:  176.8 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0015.jpg
Size:  172.8 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0014.jpg
Size:  182.4 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0012.jpg
Size:  170.0 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0011.jpg
Size:  173.0 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0007.jpg
Size:  178.2 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0004.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  190.7 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0003.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  192.0 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0002.jpg
Size:  196.2 KB
    Name:  Scan-130208-0001.jpg
Size:  213.7 KB

And please someone, tell me how to change the name of my SB-thread, since it now contains nudity! I've looked in the SB-rules thread and didn't find anything.

Last edited by -RUSALKA-; February 8th, 2013 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice going with your line quality and confidence in putting down lines, already a million miles from the first drawings. In addition to these studies that focus on expressiveness and indication, it's good to make some very careful constructions that focus on dimensional form, correct symmetry and as perfect anatomy as you can manage. They probably won't look really slick drawings, but the things you learn from them will carry over to your looser sketches.
    Anyway, keep at it, good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of improvement since the first post, I'll keep my eyes on you, keep going! About the thread, in the bottom right of your first post there's a "edit post" buttom.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by R-K View Post
    Nice going with your line quality and confidence in putting down lines, already a million miles from the first drawings. In addition to these studies that focus on expressiveness and indication, it's good to make some very careful constructions that focus on dimensional form, correct symmetry and as perfect anatomy as you can manage. They probably won't look really slick drawings, but the things you learn from them will carry over to your looser sketches.
    Anyway, keep at it, good luck!
    Will do, and thanks a lot for checking out my SB (it means a lot because critique is one of my greater motivations to continue). I'm studying anatomy everyday and so far I'm still covering the skeleton and a tad bit muscles (the latter from my imagination coupled with thoughtfulness on movements and functions of the body). Unfortunately, I realised I can't project the fruits of my labor on a daily basis since I either don't have time or no access to my scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Calza View Post
    A lot of improvement since the first post, I'll keep my eyes on you, keep going! About the thread, in the bottom right of your first post there's a "edit post" buttom.
    This also make me happy and motivated! Thanks a lot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still here, though it's been empty here. Not in my physical sketchbook though! There's some kind of dissonance between my scanner and PC, so the only thing I can present are two digital color/perspective studies. They are not very good. I've owned my tablet for two years and never used it much. I have decided to wait until the day I master traditionals a little better, but since it gets really empty here without uploads I decided to start with a bit more "serious" color studies.

This first one is entirely from my imagination without no references at all. I tried to make the platform look like glass and halfway in I realised I have no idea how to go about it. Fail!

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  115.2 KB

This one had a reference which I tweaked a bit. I tried to alter the perspective to give an illusion of more space (and though I'm a bit ashamed to say this I hoped for a more dramatic result).

Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  163.5 KB

Right now I don't know if I should continue with color and value studies of different objects and at the same time try to make them more detailed (I'm scared of this because I don't understand how), or simply concentrate on one thing at a time (value, color, details). I draw in PS and use a simple round brush with pen pressure deciding both opacity and size. I use the alt key a lot to blend the colors.

Last edited by -RUSALKA-; April 4th, 2013 at 05:52 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 1