No patience is bad for an artist? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: No patience is bad for an artist?

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yo BlackSpot...what's a Brague?

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Art is the process of making art, it is not the money or recognition. Too many people focus on the possible rewards for successful artists, that's not being an artist. An artist is compelled to express themselves through their art, period. Everything else is just icing on the cake and makes being an artist easier. If you don't act to express yourself then you will never be an artist.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    Yo BlackSpot...what's a Brague?
    Bargue - it's called a typo. Live with it.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A Brague is what you get when you cross a Braque with a Bargue.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Bargue - it's called a typo. Live with it.
    But, but, I cain't?

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ceddo View Post
    The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..
    This is one awesome quote. Can I add it to my sig?

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    A Brague is what you get when you cross a Braque with a Bargue.
    Yup, and in practice it means spending six weeks reproducing a simple line drawing, to absolute perfection. :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post
    Can I add it to my sig?
    Sure hehe, be my guest

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook
    Please feel free to add a comment, I appreciate all feedback!

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Am I the only mod that people feel they can mock and get away with it? If I growl a bit, would you show me a bit more respect? I scan read documents at over 2000 words per minute, I don't read words aloud in my head, which means I don't always remember how to spell things correctly, but I know what I meant. The rest of you just need to be more telepathic.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, no. I feel sure I've made fun of all of them at some point or other. Nothing personal; I was born with a double copy of the mod-teasing gene.

I also make faces at dogs locked in cars. I'm hoping my last words are, "sure, I guess one more won't kill me." Or maybe, "hell, yes, this'll take my weight!"

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am not sure this applies everybody, but if I ever do completed artwork I prefer to do it in one sitting. It may sound weird but when I am really deep into working on a piece it's like as if I am blocked from what is going on around me as in where I feel that the only thing that exists is me and the work that I am doing. Normally the hardest part is in the beginning where I have this awareness of what is going on around me and I easily get distracted by it so what I do is put on headsets listen to music to sort of ease me into that trance of focus between me and my work. I normally put on something which is very light like a chillstep mixtape. I know it does not sound as technical as how other people talk about spending longer time in their drawings but there is my two cents.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kamikazel33t For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doing fast stuff or spending little time on them isn't necessarily the same as doing them impatiently. Whether you tend to do things quick or take your time with them is imo more dependent on personal tastes is art and creativity etc.
    But if you want to do thorough, timely pieces and you actually do feel you can't be arsed then yeah, you have an issue. If you say you spend hours on a piece and it still looks rough then it's a classic case of little experience and skill. Since you don't really know what you're doing, you get bored and maybe discouraged since you don't know whether what you're doing will end up looking good. I think you're putting too high hopes on your timely pieces, you want them to be the be all end all and if they aren't you give up. You just need to practice, practice, try something new, practice...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nofu For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikazel33t View Post
    I am not sure this applies everybody, but if I ever do completed artwork I prefer to do it in one sitting. It may sound weird but when I am really deep into working on a piece it's like as if I am blocked from what is going on around me as in where I feel that the only thing that exists is me and the work that I am doing. Normally the hardest part is in the beginning where I have this awareness of what is going on around me and I easily get distracted by it so what I do is put on headsets listen to music to sort of ease me into that trance of focus between me and my work. I normally put on something which is very light like a chillstep mixtape. I know it does not sound as technical as how other people talk about spending longer time in their drawings but there is my two cents.
    Actually no, for completed work, I feel it's better to take breaks from it. That's why I said "you have permission to take breaks" You may never know when you're stuck in a certain mode and didn't step back from it to come back later to take a second look at it with a fresh eye. This does not mean that all works have to be done this way, but a lot of beginners don't really take breaks, the feel of "gotta finish this NAO" seems to actually hold you back.

It's ok to step away and then come back and see "oh that's where I went wrong" and take the next step.

Instead of treating your artwork like a fighting game, you can treat it like a quest/RPG. You know RPGs take time, you're not going to finish an RPG in one sitting. So it's ok. As you get better, this does go faster and eventually like an RPG you gain experience and level up

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know where this "one sitting" thing comes from... If you're doing something really polished or complex, of course it's not going to get done in one sitting. The old masters often took months to finish a painting. Years, even. It really depends what you're doing. Some things can be done all in one sitting, some can't. (For instance, if you take up traditional glazing techniques, that ain't gonna be one sitting, no way, no how.) So yeah, breaks are fine, and can even be beneficial. (Like Arshes says, breaks are good for spotting mistakes...)

If you're not on a deadline where it really DOES need to get done today, it's totally okay to work on things in short stages - maybe an hour or a few hours per session, whatever works for you. For those with short attention spans, maybe a good approach would be to work on several pieces at once - so you might work for twelve hours, but you only spend a couple of hours at a time on any individual piece.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 5