Sketchbook: A Growing collection of cluttered Sketches
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A Growing collection of cluttered Sketches

So I figured I might as well start posting things here. This was a sketch done from a photograph. I don't typically use hatches like that for shadows, but I figured it would be a fun thing to try. I'm still very much a beginner, quite the child of the concept art world. But I wanted tos tart putting my stuff out there, and hopefully receive some good critique that will help me to grow better! Thank you!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    decent start, try studying anatomy and draw from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should resize your drawings a bit when posting them here; you'll want people to be able to see the full picture without having to scroll around, as then it's harder to get a feel of the complete image.
    It's a good start, but your lines are very scribbly, try to get more confidence in making longer, smoother strokes in one go. I'd advice to leave off the tablet for a bit, and practice with regular old pen or pencil, the tablet tends to give rather wobbly lines even if you have a steady hand, you don't want that to hinder your practicing (:

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Theeroos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I normally do practice with just straight up pencil, but I feel like I need to get better at digital art in order to keep up with everyone. Plus it's way easier to colour stuff that way. I can try to have longer, smoother strokes, despite having a bit of a shaky hand.

Also how do I resize it? and thank you :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just resize in whatever drawing program you use until you can see the whole image in one go without scrolling (at 100 % zoom) If you can't find right away how to do that, you can also use paint, which is really simple to use.
    I understand the desire to start in digital right away, but don't do it just because you feel you need to. If you're just starting out with serious drawing there are so many things to learn, and if you also have to learn how to handle a tablet and figure out all the many functions your chosen drawing program has; (programs like photoshop can be very overwhelming in the beginning, with all the brushes and filters and what not, all stuff you shouldn't really use in the beginning anyway) you are making it needlessly difficult for yourself, and worse, you might get demotivated as you won't improve as fast, and give up. By all means continue drawing digitally, for fun, and just to try out stuff, but when doing serious studies and life drawings, I would stick with pencil, so you can focus purely on the drawing itself.
    Also, try to lose the feeling you have to "keep up" with others, it's not supposed to be a competition, and there will be always be people who are faster and better than you, which can be seriously demotivating. Only compare yourself with your past self; always try to be better than before. That is a competition you will always win, provided you try your very best every time.
    And, you might already know this, but just in case you don't; there are many incredible useful books on a whole range of drawing subjects you can find for free on the internet (and I'm not talking about illegal downloading )
    Here you can find the Loomis books, often recommended for beginning artists.
    Also; yay! My first friend on this site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Banih View Post
    Plus it's way easier to colour stuff that way.
    I agree, digital painting is really more efficient...

Perhaps, you could do your work with pencils and if it's something you like to color/paint digitally
    just scan that image in (or whatever) and color/paint from there...just a thought...

Great start btw...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh goodness, how I have struggled with motivation in the past! This isn't really my start in drawing/art at all; I've been drawing seriously for 2 years now, and am just now at this skill level. But it's really encouraging and exciting to kind of "start anew" on conceptart, because everyone here is so amazing, that I feel I can keep drawing and get up at the skill level I want to be at.

As for books, I own a Bridgman book on human anatomy, and then two of Gurney's books for Color and Imaginative Realism. Those have both helped me tremendously; I just need to keep putting in the hours and going at it! Thank youa gain for your help and advice!!

Woohoo! First friend as well~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I'ma ctually working on an image as we speak by that process XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, my bad, I assumed you meant you were just starting out (with serious drawing at least) (: I guess your lines are just a bit weak cause you're still getting used to the tablet? Have you tried fiddling with the settings and pressure sensitivity? When I just got my tablet I began drawing straight away, not realizing until later I could use it much more effective. I'm just asking as it looks like you have drawn the lines without any pressure sensitivity for opacity or thickness, but maybe that's just how you prefer it, I dunno (:
    And well, if you have read Bridgeman's books, why don't you construct the figure more? I mean, using simple forms first and so on, instead of going straight to outlines. Or have you done so and erased it later? Personally I always find it useful to see how people have build up the figure. It shows a lot about your weaknesses/strengths with anatomy.
    Anyway, just keep up the good work (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I try to use builds for my figure every time I draw, yeah. Then what I did was make a second layer on top and use the pen tool in SAI. I have no idea how to change pressure sensitivity, or how to make any of the settings really benefit me :B I basically hop in there and just draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Staggy.png
Views: 41
Size:  538.4 KB

Deer-man wearing an old dress.

My goal tomorrow is to try playing around with more animal anatomy

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.