Hi, what do I need to improve currently with my art hobby?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hi, what do I need to improve currently with my art hobby?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi, what do I need to improve currently with my art hobby?

Hopefully I am in the right place for posting. (Sorry if I am not.)

I have a question and it has been bothering me for a week now, but I seem stuck on what to improve with my current skills for my hobby. Something that would give me to work on and fill my sketch book here since I am looking for good criticism to help improve myself.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...n-s-Sketchbook

And is there any place that gives free reference to muscle anatomy? I also have trouble finding basics for color theory. I bought a book, but it tends to confuse me as it seems to be a bit too complex for me to grasp at the moment.

I'll be gladly appreciated for the help.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When in doubt, practice the fundamentals of art. It's not only a lesson in what you already may or may not know, but it's a lesson in routine, getting used to what you will be doing to learn what you don't.

When you've exhausted that or feel you should move on, look to the unknown. If there is a subject, franchise, series, or group of things you've yet to try and see/do/understand, draw it. If you really want to be fancy? Enter contests or community activities here, showing your progress from work start to work finish. Always understand that you're in a position to learn more and do more, staying hungry and staying mobile. Challenge yourself, and work to what is asked of you, not what you feel is necessary.

And lastly, set up a reference folder for those pics you find on the net that you want to pull, er, reference from (It's called a 'Morgue File', according to Wikipedia for us here and what we put in it it's a 'Reference Folder thing'), and keep it updated/pulling references from it. It's not a substitute for drawing from life, merely an aid to help you as you make use from whatever you can get.

...That's pretty much it from me in a general sense. Though out of curiosity, what book did you buy for color theory?

Last edited by ArtsySiridean; December 1st, 2012 at 12:49 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtsySiridean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out the free e-books on this thread:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ee-Art-E-Books

for color, I am right now reading james gurney's color and light, and I would advise anyone interested in growing their color and light understanding to give his book a try. It's fairly easy to understand, and I know that in the passed 3 days since I've had the book, I'm already beginning to see the worlds a bit differently.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to themegagod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry about anatomy, worry about learning to draw form. Really understand it not fake it. First work on simple geometrical shapes in space and work up. Anatomy is a lot easier to understand if you can do that.

http://artandinfluence.blogspot.com/...ough-form.html

Best way to do this is life drawings of what's in front of you. No better way to see form.... than to.... .. well.... ..... .. see form.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    Check out the free e-books on this thread:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ee-Art-E-Books

for color, I am right now reading james gurney's color and light, and I would advise anyone interested in growing their color and light understanding to give his book a try. It's fairly easy to understand, and I know that in the passed 3 days since I've had the book, I'm already beginning to see the worlds a bit differently.
    Oh, that book. I own it. I hadn't had time to pull down and read it due to me busily studying music theory and fretboard studies. I'll try glancing at it once more when I pitch in more time. Thank you all for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsySiridean View Post
    When in doubt, practice the fundamentals of art. It's not only a lesson in what you already may or may not know, but it's a lesson in routine, getting used to what you will be doing to learn what you don't.

When you've exhausted that or feel you should move on, look to the unknown. If there is a subject, franchise, series, or group of things you've yet to try and see/do/understand, draw it. If you really want to be fancy? Enter contests or community activities here, showing your progress from work start to work finish. Always understand that you're in a position to learn more and do more, staying hungry and staying mobile. Challenge yourself, and work to what is asked of you, not what you feel is necessary.

And lastly, set up a reference folder for those pics you find on the net that you want to pull, er, reference from (It's called a 'Morgue File', according to Wikipedia for us here and what we put in it it's a 'Reference Folder thing'), and keep it updated/pulling references from it. It's not a substitute for drawing from life, merely an aid to help you as you make use from whatever you can get.

...That's pretty much it from me in a general sense. Though out of curiosity, what book did you buy for color theory?
    Thanks for the advice. I don't know what else to say since, well, I don't know what to say. I am not good with replies.

It James Gurney's Color and Light. JFierce that mentioned it for me thankfully...I totally forgotten of it since it has been in my closet for some time. Sorry if I do not understand it.

Uh, and uh...Well, I am kinda scared to ask questions. Sorry.

Last edited by ForteReborn; December 1st, 2012 at 01:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadoHejjihoggu View Post

Uh, and uh...Well, I am kinda scared to ask questions. Sorry.
    Don't be scared to ask questions and do what needs to be done. Apply yourself and keep your head up. Art involves quite a bit of self discovery.

If you don't understand the source material try approaching it in a different fashion (there also being another thread in this section 'bout using books to their grandest, shenanigans, etcetera). Make sure you pace yourself (not going too quickly or too slowly) so the information properly sinks in and can be used. It's all about understanding how best you learn.

This is all advice I should've followed long ago, by the way.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.