Art: SVA Student Portfolio
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: SVA Student Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SVA Student Portfolio

Hi! My name is Molly and I'm a 21 year old junior at the School of Visual Arts studying Illustration and Cartooning. I wanted to post some character design pieces on here to get any feedback - please don't hold back! I've always noticed that my art gains a level in quality after a particularly harsh critique.
    More of my art is on my website, tumblr, or webcomic...
    Name:  crystal warrior small.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  173.8 KBName:  dnd art test orc small.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  74.5 KBName:  dnd town guard small.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  186.7 KBName:  giantsv2.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  315.5 KBName:  sword lady small.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  185.3 KB

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Molly! I think your art will be more good if you put more effort in line weighting because at the moment all those big strokes are flattening your characters a lot. Plus it would be great if you can study anatomy a little more, the problem is that maybe you have a clear understanding of proportions but i can clearly see that you can't figure out how muscles effect each other while on movement, this is making your figures stiff and bad posed. About posing you can take references, the easiest way is taking a picture of yourself (or a friend, it doesn't matter) in the pose that you want to draw and use it to look at the weights in the body and learn how it works.

Cause you're so young i'll tell you this : don't be afraid to use pictures to copy pose and expressions! (i don't know if it's your case but most young artist behave like this)
    If you do that it doesn't mean you're a bad artist, it means that you're a smart artist. It's much better to copy stuff to figure out how they works (so that eventually you would learn and then remember) than guessing (maybe the wrong thing) and keep going with incorrect knowledge (that can hurt your skills on long terms).

If you need to know something else i didn't mentioned just ask.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh awesome! I'm actually applying to SVA (I already got in at portfolio day but I need to get a scholarship ) in January as it's my first choice school right now. I think I actually saw some of your stuff when I went to the Open House for Illustration and Cartooning (I'm going for Illustration), or at least something that looked similarly like yours.

It seems to me like you're developing a nice style, or at least concentrating on your own concepts which is great, I know that's something I need to worry more about. I think the main problem with what I'm seeing is that the pieces are obvious more sketch quality, and while things like the 4th and last pieces are much more laid out and developed than the others, you don't seem to be as confident with them. I'm not sure what aspects of illustration or cartooning you want to go into, but developing full rendered scale concept pieces will help you more than just individual character studies, which I'm sure you're already pretty good at. You might also want to experiment with different approaches to shading, just to broaden your skills. Doing photostudies and observations is just as important as developing your own concepts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys! Both helpful critiques and things I needed to hear. SVA definitely teaches 'copying' from photos but I seem to have forgotten

Members who have read this thread: 5