• Droog

7 6.60%
  • Weatherby

18 16.98%
  • OchreHand

3 2.83%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: EOW #200 A Long Journey Ahead - Special Round VOTING!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hay everyone,

Lovely work here!

Here's my final.

Name:  Journey moon Final.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  272.4 KB

Last edited by Weatherby; December 22nd, 2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Error
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Weatherby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if only my computer hadnt crashed I would have got something

Sketchbook

Everything is permitted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome entries all!

Name:  EOW200_ochrehand.png
Views: 662
Size:  932.1 KB

Funlabor.com, my portfolio site.
    Paint My Brains Out, my blog

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OchreHand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome round everyone. The voting poll is up and EOW #201 is up as well!

My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm, why is possible vote on my work, and i cant see my image ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by slabiak View Post
    hmm, why is possible vote on my work, and i cant see my image ?
    I could've sworn you posted in the finals thread - anyways, fixed...

My site:

DA:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some comments:

Vibhas_virwani Good job on this bro, the mood is nice and the atmosphere reminds me of the movie Willow. Mellow yet foreboding, and the mountains in the distance enhance the mood of there being a long journey ahead. Improvement-wise, this would be better with more defined details in the landscape. Also, cool backpacks.
    AnthonyChristou This might sound vaguely irrelevant but I thought your aesthetic decision-making was what compromised the overall success of this environment. For example, the character’s hat design and the consistent pattern of vertical stalactite-like formations on the coastal cliffs - they all look very similar which is fine, but for me it comes off like it’s predictable. The blue-tusk helmet/helm that your character is wearing also seems forced. If this is a valid critique (I’m not sure yet lol) then I’d suggest just being more free-spirited, not so constricted. Maybe more looseness will spread around the creativity that you have and ensure it’s distributed well to keep the viewer on their toes… also, the dirt trail seems to be going right off the cliff on the left. The positives: The perspective and positioning as well as the scope of the image is nice! I liked that aspect. Hope anything helps, discard anything that doesn’t ring true to you, just my thoughts.
    Merl1n This is sick. It bleeds graphic novel and oozes awesome. Nearly gave me an erection. You got my vote!
    Benedikt Like I said in your sketchbook, you did a beautiful job here with the color scheme and the tangible “substance” of the man’s surroundings. This scenery could literally be an overarching theme for a man’s spiritual journey through the decrepit tree of life towards golden-hued gates to find meaning in his life. Could be the representation of someone conquering evil and becoming good again - a long journey indeed for someone in that psychological situation. Interesting method of doing the snow, too.
    Kingkostas This kicks ass on many levels. It has a little bit of abstract Phantom Menace going on as well as a dash of primitive industrial intergalactic. It sits with me very well and I’m glad you took this route. Constructively speaking, I think the sunlight could be brighter and more pronounced looking. Also, the people walking on the bridge could be a little more visible but I understand that if this was abstractly done, don’t mind my suggestions. My interpretation is that this is some kind of underground gate to a long tunnel, maybe a continental one where you travel using an advanced form of propelling technology harnessing solar power. Additionally, it could be under construction and in the testing stages. You got my vote!
    LukasN Excellent work, but something communicates to me that it needed slightly more color contrast. Like if there was a cerulean blue stream then stead of a pale, lightly shimmering one, or if the reaper-like stone figures, heads positioned downwards and adorning cloaks - if they were maybe made of a different material than what they are standing on. It’s not really a critique, just a minor view if what I might’ve done in the designing process. Nice work Lukas. I love the mountain and the trail of birds is a nice finishing touch.
    KvenH Ahh, He-Who-Is-Hard-On-Himself-Even-Though-His-Art-Is-Elite… that is a pristine environment. Your other WIP you had going had equal potential. I really like what you did with this and how calm, smooth and effortless you make it seem. You got my vote!
    BenJackson That looks like a hazardous journey they are about to undertake. This is nice Mr. Jackson. You used mountain slopes to a good effect and you were unrelenting with the amount of resistance placed before these travellers… or stragglers. Visually pleasing and a sight to take in (I would be running if a volcano exploded that close to me)
    Slabiak Awesome adventure-esque composition and creativity here, slabiak. When I first saw your WIP I knew that this would be an unusual but rewarding concept and it turned out to meet my expectations. You took big risks and pulled it off.. you got my vote!
    Mooglesarelittle This was simplistically executed due to as you said, time constraints but really there is a great environment lying before me. Has a lot of potential to be much better when it’s more complete and you sharpen the finer details. Good job Moogles.
    Cavvie This is cool stuff, a bit half-hybrid-WIP-yet still could pass off as a moonlit mountainous wilderness. A good exercise.
    Jodali I’m enjoying looking at this one. It gives off vibes of Middle eastern flare, maybe indigenous. A city inside of a giant ridge that goes on for miles. The sky is really nice to look at too. Foreshadowed elements that a storm is coming.
    AdrianNagorski Your spirit and instincts brought you to this piece - I’ve noticed over the past year or so that you’ve really elevated with your craft. Working hard at it has paid off as it looks like you’ve brought your style to the next level. I liked this one, it feels like Formula A for Epic Fantasy-driven Environments. Time will continue to bring the best out of you my friend. Good work.
    BishopSix lol that is raw. Easily would be a book cover for best selling science fiction. Slap Ben Bova or Arthur C. Clarke’s name on it and let’s call it a day. I would’ve never expected something like this as an interpretation of this topic. Bridging the gap between planets - the Great Pathologic Wall of Bina (binary) I’m almost waiting for some intriguing dialogue to spark between the space-travelers.
    EsDeus I’m not entirely sure what’s going on here but I do know that it’s pretty epic. A cross between Devil May Cry, Gladiator and a visual experience of the end of the world taking place in a magical kingdom where this deity is trying to save his homeland. Great imagination, esDeus. As for the “long journey ahead” element, I think this covers it - being that there will be a long, arduous rebuilding process after the meteor shower.
    JakeG Very interesting scene. Firstly, I thought the red flags were a strategic and wise touch. The red gives this spice, some distinct flavor to grab a hold of and seems to be of Asian influence. The overall architecture was done well and wasn’t predictable - the mountain in the backround also looks to be of a different texture and has an ethereal quality/source to it. Nice work Jake.
    ThomD Every time you participate I’m always pondering to myself: his style is raw. You have a visually striking quality to all of your work and this is no different. This was raw - makes me wonder how she’s going to get in there. She’d be lucky if she had a sturdy motorboat. I don’t think I’d want to swim over there, especially in pants and without a weapon.
    Hyunjae Underdeveloped but looks to have potential - the set up is smart and you leave room for many options to come to the surface.
    SLIMEface So this is what Amish people look like… kidding. Very solid execution as a whole here, you’ve got inhabitants, a full view of the city and surrounding scenery that’s nice to look at. Small observation, those blue domes would look like smurf breast from the skies, haha.
    Taffyjones Brazen, chaotic and steamy, just how I like it. (jk) It has an unmistakable “illustration to a story during a stressful moment for the character” feel to it. I know it’s not enjoyable to wade through those wobbly rope bridges where the wood is close to burning as you tread with intense caution. Doesn’t that dude know there’s an elevator on the side of the cliff? I mean what the…
    Dkmaster If that’s you in your avatar, you look sort of like Kevin Randleman, the former UFC/Pride fighter. Lmao @ “lift broken.” Nice.. That is brutal. If I was that guy I would consider just doing a wheelie off the edge. Cool enviro, sir.
    Leoz Excellent.. There is a story waiting to be told. I didn’t even notice the sniper rifle until just now - adds something else to the image it didn’t possess before. The graffiti to the left is also a welcome addition.
    JanJager Well you already know you did a beautiful job with this. I don’t have anything more to say about this.
    Dranyer - This was dark and moody in an English/Norse way, but that could just be because weather over there is usually dreary like this. I lived in England for two years and could never get used to how gray the weather was everyday - gray and wet. This was a tight image, it had everything it needed to drive the concept home. Monolith in the distance, floating island/castles and serenely pleasing greenery wherever it fit in between.
    fossv Cool and icy. The makings of a stellar winterscape.
    Corrick How goes it Sir Corrick? This was traditional early 19th century sci fi at it’s best and most pulp appearance. I wonder what novels you have been reading lately…
    vision storm, this looks cool, vision. I like the toxic green hue in the sky and how it reflects off of the rocky pillars/miniature pyramid formations. The only problem that I can say lies within the piece is that it looks like the travellers have arrived at the end of their long journey. Not that there couldn’t be a long one ahead of the sequence taking place in the image, which causes me to think about what occurs after they arrive at this menacing castle. Maybe it’s Hogwarts and the two travelers are Harry and Dobby, lol..
    Droog Have you ever read the Captain Underpants series? I could see this as a grown up version of that comic, of course with less underwear around the hero’s head and more of a serious superhero costume. The color schemes in this were really nice to look at. This was a well rounded entry.
    Weatherby Pretty raw work, I love how heavyset everything is, like it’s made of a thick substance and the weight of the journey is falling on the shoulders, and antlers, of the journeymen. The moon and wild western themes coinciding is also nicely worked in there.
    Ochrehand I’m a fan of your work; this was on the plainer side, conceptually speaking from you but it was still a satisfying place to behold and take in. I wish there was more to the story - a subtle hint at what’s to come, but mystery is also a blessing in disguise too. Decent work from you, Ochre.

My votes went to merl1n, kingkostas, Kvenh and Slabiak.

Great round! Happy 200 and Merry Christmas to all...

Last edited by Vulgar`; December 23rd, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
    My site:

DA:

10. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well shit, I missed the deadline on this due to my new job. Oh well.. >_<

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great job everyone! Congrats on turning 200 EOW. Vulgar', keep doing what you're doing. It's awesome. EOW went from being an often sparsely attended activity to being one of the more participated in weeklies on the site and that's a credit to what a rad job you've been doing.

Really awesome work from everyone. With such a broad topic to judge entries on I felt like I had to come up with a new variable to factor into my judgement (in addition to rendering, originality, composition and other formal considerations), which was: how interested am I in what the rest of the "long journey" looks like? There are a lot of epic scenes and beautiful sweeping landscapes, but there was only one entry that truly caught my imagination and made me think "wow, if this is just the beginning, I want to see what the rest of the journey looks like!" and that entry was JanJager's beautiful work.

I must also give big ups to slabiak whose concept I loved, but felt the execution could have been tighter and more focused on environmental considerations, rather than the dynamics of an illustration.

Last edited by Si_Swe; December 25th, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeltuner View Post
    Well shit, I missed the deadline on this due to my new job. Oh well.. >_<
    I know man same thing with me cept my photoshop and computer had a virus -_-

Sketchbook

Everything is permitted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, so something is going on with the integrity of the voting right now. I'm going to assume they are either spambots or someone is getting their friends to vote for them which goes against what this competition is all about. I understand there's prizes at stake so it would seem like the appropriate time to get others to vote for you so you can recieve them, but again, that's not the purpose of the community activity forum. If there's a voter who registered within the last 2 days or so, I'm deleting those votes.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

My site:

DA:

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar` View Post
    Alright, so something is going on with the integrity of the voting right now. I'm going to assume they are either spambots or someone is getting their friends to vote for them which goes against what this competition is all about. I understand there's prizes at stake so it would seem like the appropriate time to get others to vote for you so you can recieve them, but again, that's not the purpose of the community activity forum. If there's a voter who registered within the last 2 days or so, I'm deleting those votes.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.
    Bravo, good sir.
    I was checking out the people who voted for one person in particular and a lot of them registered yesterday or today and haven't posted anything on the forums. Then I noticed the last person to view their profiles was you, which saved me the time from having to message you. Keep up the good moderating!

Happy Holidays, everyone!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AJM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some comments:

Ochrehand I’m a fan of your work; this was on the plainer side, conceptually speaking from you but it was still a satisfying place to behold and take in. I wish there was more to the story - a subtle hint at what’s to come, but mystery is also a blessing in disguise too. Decent work from you, Ochre.

Thank you for the crit! After looking (more like staring...) at what I did, I think I'll re-visit and add more of a solid structure... Something to cut through all that atmosphere. I think one of my crutches is that I rely too much on atmosphere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some comments:

Thank you for the crit! After looking (more like staring...) at what I did, I think I'll re-visit and add more of a solid structure... Something to cut through all that atmosphere. I think one of my crutches is that I rely too much on atmosphere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Slabiak. Love this one. My personal fav!!

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didn´t come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 3