Art: Resources for Anthropological differences?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Resources for Anthropological differences?

Hey guys! I went to the Fine arts forum first but didn't see anything that addressed my question specifically so I came here.

Today a friend and I were discussing how each racial ethnicity/background had varying differences in bone structure and how that affected things like noses, eyelids, ect. A lot of my images look the same because I only incorporate the common types of features that I have observed the most (Mainly being my own). I was wondering if you guys knew any good websites or books that have good visual references of the differences? Or am I just out of luck? I've browsed Amazon for books both pertaining to art and anthropology but I haven't found anything

Thanks again!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you have access to a university library? I have found a number of interesting books in the anthropology section of mine, mostly general works with titles like "the study of man" or similar, that discuss racial differences in bony and fleshy anatomy. Sorry I can't remember any specific works to recommend; I'll try to remember to write down some titles next time I'm there. They will be mostly older books, as this sort of anthropology fell out of favor in the mid-to-late 20th century, due in part to the conflict of genetic information with traditional physical anthropology, and in part due to the association of physical anthropology with racial discrimination.

You should beware of the tendency of these books to emphasize "types" at the expense of individual variation; the photographs often represent the author's idea of what a "typical" member of that race ought to look like, whether or not he is actually representative of the population (sort of like how journalists at a biker rally pick out the biggest, hairiest, roughest-looking guy to photograph because "that's what bikers look like"). Also, they tend to be fascinated with certain odd groups, like the Khoi-San and the Ainu. Finally, many of these books, especially the older ones often contain what, to modern readers, are horrendously racist comments.

Eyelids and noses are much less affected by bone structure than many other features; the epicanthic fold of "typical" east Asians, for example, is not reflected in bone structure. You'll see a lot more discussion of such things as relative length of the skull, facial angle, brow ridges, alveolar prognathism (projection of the jaw in front of the facial plane) and so on.

It's not exactly what you're asking about, but National Geographic magazines are a fantastic resource for seeing what different racial groups actually look like. You can often find stacks of old issues for cheap at thrift and antique stores.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Notophthalmus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much! I will go dig around my Library and see if I can find any resources. I was hoping there would be a modern collection of commonly associated facial details/structures with a little blurb about it but I suppose I'll have to do this the old fashion way IE Gather lots of Images of racial types and make my own observations and nots

Members who have read this thread: 1