I repent and mend my ways. But I have another question about global salaries... - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I repent and mend my ways. But I have another question about global salaries...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @JDStart we are brothers in hell . Hey, do you get to actually keep the dollars if someone pays you in USD?

You need a pretty big name and reputation to charge first world money. I've lost quite a few projects by quoting at first world standards.

"Great job guys! I love you. You're fired."

Sketchbook! Me vs Anatomy (and other things)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Januz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Januz View Post
    @JDStart we are brothers in hell . Hey, do you get to actually keep the dollars if someone pays you in USD?

You need a pretty big name and reputation to charge first world money. I've lost quite a few projects by quoting at first world standards.
    I know some companies that outsource but i couldnīt say the details of how it works. iīm actually asking around this sort of things myself because i would like to enter freelance full time at some point.

Right now i canīt even acces request dollars because i donīt own a credit card. The limit for online shopping is like 400 $ which is not seem much but it helps a lot if you know how much things cost here.

more than a few people i know are going to Argentina to study or live, Chile seems to be a common destination to, in relation to us is not so bad from what i heard. Right now outside of oil our biggest exportation is venezuelans, everyone around me is going away, and thats depresing. I wouldnīt even whine about the economic situation if it were a safe place to live. I donīt really want to go and neither do most, what pushes people is the violence more than anything.

The reputation part is true, the emigrant works has to work twice to get half.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for those wondering about wages in first world, as point of reference.
    Im getting a fairly low pay in Denmark which is I heavily assume is first world, I get roundabout 26 USD hourly before tax for being a graphic designer.
    We have fairly high taxes though...

minimum wage here is "18.10766 USD"

Last edited by Incinerated; December 5th, 2012 at 04:17 AM.
    "Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I do alright in SA. I just charge the same as any pro would. Cover tax, (which is a real assraper) cover expenses, living, food etc...

Just have to find the right people and sell yourself hard. Dont compromise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, JDSart. I'm so sorry to hear that you're in such a complex evironment. And it sounds to be dangerous. May you find the best way to live joyfully very soon. Best wishes to you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to untier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well where i live $4/hr would be €3/hr... cut taxes, insurance (which in my country aint voluntarily, you have to, beeing a freelancer) youre at €2/hr. multiplying that by the average monthly workhours of 170 (of any 9-17 job), id get €340 per month. the average expense of the smallest flats are €300+, food. internet, heating, public transport,... easily add up to another €500.

id have to work 400 hrs a month just to afford that alone. not having added art supplys, financial backup for, when something dies within my pc, or shoes die, jeans, etc. costs and time spent on promoting yourself... maaaaan, seriously.

i hope you see, while i understand your situation, that on a global forum some people get pissed off if those wages are mentioned.

here i cant afford a living on the long run if id go below €25 (at the very very least) which equals $32. and then it still pays only about double of the average workslave-job, where little qualification is needed.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 2