Help with this perspective?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help with this perspective?

This a cool painting done by Noah Bradley. I was sitting down to study some perspective, and I was curious where Noah was laying his vanishing points for this image. I feel like I've guessed the correct VPs, but can anyone verify that and/or help me to see the correct VPs? So, from what I can see, it looks like there is 1 VP way up high and centered, 1 way left, and then 1 that is sort of center-right in the middle of the image? The last one doesn't sound right....but those parallel lines definitely seem to point towards a vanishing point being there.

Also, it feels like 3 point perspective because that distant building has a real sense of "largeness"; it really feels like we are looking up at it. Is this a good way to judge 3P perspective?

Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    -I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watched him paint this and he did set up a 3 point perspective grid, however the result is more of a sketch with 3 point implied rather than an accurate drawing/painting with a 3 point perspective

I'm sure if he'd been asked for an accurate 3 point perspective drawing/painting he would have oblidged.

hope this helps

Learning to see

"...the ideas are what matter most" Doug Chiang

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just like to add, sketchy or loose is Noah's painting style, just like it is Feng Zhu's and many others. If you want accurate example of perspective you may be better off searching for industrial/architechtural drawings.

Learning to see

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    btw, if you need help with perspective, you can get sketch up or blender (both free ) build (simple or complicated) models and use those to help you understand how objects look in 3 point.

If you dont fancy building models, plenty here http://www.blendswap.com/ to play with.

Last edited by Charlie D; November 30th, 2012 at 02:50 AM.
    Learning to see

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies Charlie.

I sort of assumed that Noah wasn't sticking to a perfect perspective grid on this one; I can see where he sort of naturally deviates from the perspective lines. I was mostly curious if I had guessed the core perspective lines accurately in this painting. I am trying to get better at recognizing what sort of images can be had depending on what sort of perspective grid is set up. When I set up my own perspective grids in Photoshop, I am having a difficult time judging what types of grids suit certain types of drawings best.

Thanks for that Blender link too. That is going to be way useful for practicing.

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.