How to make this more aesthetically pleasing
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: How to make this more aesthetically pleasing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How to make this more aesthetically pleasing

Hello,

I'm trying to find out how to make my renderings look as pleasant and interesting as possible. Concept artists seem to be the most practical and talented, non-pretentious designers out there. Any ideas/criticism? It is not the design (a landscape/architectural project) itself I am most worried about but the presentation, although any type of feedback is appreciated.

Created using collage and speedpaint in Photoshop.

Name:  complexity2.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  140.7 KB

Name:  Habitat2.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  146.4 KB

Name:  Mystery2.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  127.0 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those honestly look really nice. The only crits I can think of is that they're a bit samey as far as value goes, if you could add in a few select darks and lights you could make them more interesting without destroying the mood of the pieces. They're also a bit boring color wise, a few touches of discordant color would do wonders I'd think (such as a few yellow skunk cabbages in your watershed pictures, for example).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice!
    Right now they all look greyish to me, like there's a layer of smoke over everything.

Also what exactly are these for?
    Are they meant to be screen-sized digital images or will you blow them up to a larger scale (f.e. like conceptart for building projects)?
    The size depends what route you could take - large prints/presentations on big screen can have several focal points, done by some brighter/more colorful accents in the picture.
    Allow the eye to wander around the screen and stop at interesting points.
    For smaller sized images, they could use some better contrast beween lights and darks, esp. the first one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    they look very nice and remind me of advertising prospects for real estate projects, they are very professionally done. adjusting the highlights and shadows on transparent layers set to soft light or overlay for light and multiply for shading atop the original to enhance the atmospheric depth would be good i think.

eta:

sorry, couldn't help it, i hope you don't mind =)

Name:  Habitat2-paintover1.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  200.6 KB

aaargh can't stop! lawl!

Name:  Habitat2-paintover2.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  214.0 KB

Last edited by jamsession; November 30th, 2012 at 07:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. These are really cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try adding in some heavier contrast between your lights/darks. Everything is feel a little bit flat right now. Keep up the hard work though; I imagine you've put a lot of time in these and it shows in the rendering quality you got going on.

Also, check your lighting source in the second one. You have cast shadows from the trees and walkway pushing hard to the right, and yet you don't have any cast shadows tumbling over the waterfall from the trees on the left. It's a little confusing.

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks very much! You are right that the colors are too grey. I think these things depend very much on your monitor, know that my old mac and new laptop would show these pictures very differently in this aspect. There should also probably be an area of interest with higher contrast and accented colors, as humboldt squid points out.

Kiera: They are concept art for landscape project in architecture school. Although they are made to look optimal in large format, they always tend to get presented at about 20% of the intended size. I should probably take that into account.

jamsession: Thank you! If it was a commercial project i would probably add more contrasts and happy colors/highlights/contrasts. Bit worried about different parts of the image disconnecting by not having coherent overall light/shadow color though.

Syle: Thanks a lot. I did two of them in a day, would do all four (there is a more technical fourth one) in a day if I did nothing else and was able to keep concentrated the entire time. Due to the existence of Reddit this not possible.
    Good observation with the lack of shadow. It is actually intended as the left side of the water is supposed to be in shadow from the rift/walls/trees already. However I found that making the shadow obvious there would turn the entire picture sad and depressing, so I cheated and ended up with a confusing result.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.