Gesture Drawing
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Gesture Drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gesture Drawing

I have been gesture drawing for about four months now. The drawings I have posted are the current drawings I have made.

"Peace and joy is my honey." -me

MY SKETCHBOOK FOR LIFE

Aniko
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think there is much to criticize here. The proportions aren't entirely perfect, but I think you can see that pretty easily by comparing your drawing to your reference. Carry on practicing proportions, and remember to watch the reference much more than the drawing itself. Try drawing "upside down" to make sure you prejudice on human anatomy does not affect the drawing. Once you feel you get proportions etc right, getting flesh etc will be more difficult to draw and easier to criticize.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PaleBluePixel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look up the "Walt Stanchfield Lectures" or the books "Drawn to Life" they will help you get a better handle on gesture drawing. Keep at it and do several hundred more but each time try to make sure you get the anatomy right as well bad habbits can kreep in when you are not looking.

All the best with the work and i hope this helps you out, the "drawn to life" books are invaluable to me and I have re-read them several times now and will do again.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, some kind of make little sense to me (specially the first two in the third image), they seem a bit "fake" from my view, but that's just me. Maybe because it's a bit messy and can't fully tell.

Can you draw something "serious" so I can see better?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ijao For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightship69 View Post
    Look up the "Walt Stanchfield Lectures" or the books "Drawn to Life" they will help you get a better handle on gesture drawing. Keep at it and do several hundred more but each time try to make sure you get the anatomy right as well bad habbits can kreep in when you are not looking.

All the best with the work and i hope this helps you out, the "drawn to life" books are invaluable to me and I have re-read them several times now and will do again.
    I suggest Walts books as well (at least one of them, I find having two a bit repetitive since he covered most of what he had to say in just the one book).

To start off I would say that your drawings over all lack purpose and direction. Remember that in gesture drawing you're drawing an attitude and action and both of these don't come about without purpose. You have a lot of work ahead of you but nothing practice can't overcome. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ijao View Post
    Hmm, some kind of make little sense to me (specially the first two in the third image), they seem a bit "fake" from my view, but that's just me. Maybe because it's a bit messy and can't fully tell.

Can you draw something "serious" so I can see better?
    The gestures are so messy because I am only allowing myself 30 to 60 seconds to draw them.

"Peace and joy is my honey." -me

MY SKETCHBOOK FOR LIFE

Aniko

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by colortheory View Post
    The gestures are so messy because I am only allowing myself 30 to 60 seconds to draw them.
    Do you do any other type of figure drawing? because I can't see it in your sketchbook at least, and gestures alone don't cut it.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mhm, that's a great way to practice~. Still, I'd like to see how you'd do with a more serious one so I can see better (if you have the time). Again, I can't really see well ;;.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rather than rush at them like a bull at a gate! take your time with them, and understand them.
    You cant just rush them off in a minute and expect them to be good! Look into the squash and stretch of the muscles and the balance and weight distribution etc etc you are trying to instill a sense of movement into a static 2d image and it isnt easy to get right.

My advice is take your time and get them right! do loads and loads more! and add themm to this thread so we can see where you are and point you in the right direction.

all the best with the work

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by colortheory View Post
    Don't. Allot as much time as you need to produce a fluid gesture drawing with good sense of proportions, movement, and weight.

Learn to get it right first, then you can train to do it quicker. Not vice versa.

Members who have read this thread: 1