Art: Software and beginners tips?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Software and beginners tips?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Software and beginners tips?

Hiya folks! New here, so I hope this isn't one of those annoying noob questions, if it is, I apologize in advance.
    I'm attempting to create one of those "dating sim" style games using Ren'py, but I'd like to animate my characters, so it would seem like they were talking or whatever, I'd also like some cutscenes. Problem is I only have SAI and Photoshop CS5, and even though I can use PS to create gifs and stuff is there any software that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg (preferably free) that I can easily learn to use that I can create animations that last longer than 3 seconds?
    Also, are there any tips or advice that anyone can give me about anything I have mentioned? I'd be really grateful for any help.
    Thanks!!
    Cammio

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is this game 2D or 3D?

If 2D, Plastic Animation Paper is free. Photoshop has some animation capability too. I'm not aware of any decent vector-based animation software aside from Flash and Toon Boom, both of which cost cheddar.

If 3D, Blender is free. You can also get 3DS Max's or Maya's educational edition (cost money, but not much).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spriter is an awesome animating tool for general game use, though it's not quite finished yet. Super cheap too. Might be not the first pick of you want to do traditional keyframe all the way through, but it's great for combining keyframes to modular approach, and saving lots of time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pencil might work and its free for 2d
    corel 12 does not work so why am I mentioning it oh yea the onion skin on painter 12 is non existent so i think I was going to use photoshop or yea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, if you want to make traditional 2D animation, you should use TVPaint. It's not free but reasonable price..
    There's a lot of tools, and you can animated movie from start to finish. It's a great tool, you should try it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, if you want to make traditional 2D animation, you should use TVPaint. It's not free but reasonable price..
    There's a lot of tools, and you can animated movie from start to finish. It's a great tool, you should try it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Melete View Post
    You can also get 3DS Max's or Maya's educational edition (cost money, but not much).
    Autodesk has free 3 year licenses for all of their software if you are attending a school (K-12 and college/uni).

If you are totally new to animation all together, google for "principals of animation" and do some small test animations (bouncing ball, pantomimes, etc) before you try doing something like a humanoid a try. I recommend trying 2D before 3D if you do end up going with the 3D direction for your game. If you are just doing some casual mouth flaps you could probably get away with gifs or animated pngs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am a marketing professional interested in creating simple animations for product overviews. I am searching for software to complete short animations comparable to the following:

links removed

I do have video editing experience utilizing PowerDirector and Adobe Premier Pro CS6, however I'm wanting to venture into animation. Any help on software that would allow me to accomplish this would be most appreciated.

Last edited by Black Spot; April 5th, 2013 at 04:09 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 4